SURE AMEX-----I'D LOVE TO!! NOT!!

tag
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Re: SURE AMEX-----I'D LOVE TO!! NOT!!

rom828 wrote:

@wmarat wrote:

Do not fall into the trap.

I have happened to read a lot of threads where people reported that balances for more than 3 mos is the reason for AA. Even if it is BT.

Proceed cautiosly.

Believe me, I have no intention of responding.....I just thought it quite, what's the word, ironic, that Amex sent a BT offer in the midst of all the CLD activity they're performing..

I guess the sarcarsm in my post was not very clear!!

Just thought I'd share this with the forum for a laugh!!

I caught the sarcasm, but I did mean that you might think about taking the card. Just don't use the BT.

There's still a place for American Express cards in the wallet (sock drawer, maybe) if you're aware of what they don't like, and if you can successfully avoid these things. I don't think that they're head and shoulders above the rest (I never did, really; their rewards don't work well for me), but at the same time today, I don't think they're in the category of First Preemie.

So * shrugs *, I just set aside the former glamour and the current weirdness, while acknowledging their "issues", and evaluate on what's left --CL, usefulness of getting that earlier opening date, good CS, etc. Smiley Happy

Sure as heck wouldn't be my only card, though.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 11 of 16
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

@haulingthescoreup wrote:
There's still a place for American Express cards in the wallet (sock drawer, maybe) if you're aware of what they don't like, and if you can successfully avoid these things. I don't think that they're head and shoulders above the rest (I never did, really; their rewards don't work well for me), but at the same time today, I don't think they're in the category of First Preemie.

I keep mine out of my wallet, I use it pay the same utility bills every month and PIF.

That way I get to become a "reliable" customer -  another year of so of that and I might actually start to carry the card!

(and it gets me B&N gift cards!!) 

The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 12 of 16
rom828
Established Contributor

@haulingthescoreup wrote:

@rom828 wrote:

@wmarat wrote:

Do not fall into the trap.

I have happened to read a lot of threads where people reported that balances for more than 3 mos is the reason for AA. Even if it is BT.

Proceed cautiosly.

Believe me, I have no intention of responding.....I just thought it quite, what's the word, ironic, that Amex sent a BT offer in the midst of all the CLD activity they're performing..

I guess the sarcarsm in my post was not very clear!!

Just thought I'd share this with the forum for a laugh!!

I caught the sarcasm, but I did mean that you might think about taking the card. Just don't use the BT.

So * shrugs *, I just set aside the former glamour and the current weirdness, while acknowledging their "issues", and evaluate on what's left --CL, usefulness of getting that earlier opening date, good CS, etc. Smiley Happy

Sure as heck wouldn't be my only card, though.

Actually, DH and I already have Amex cards......hence always looking out for the CLD!!  He has Gold and Delta and I have Green, Blue and Delta.  And the further irony is that I do have BT on the Blue that was done at activation......per the strong encouragement of the CSR.  Believe me, that is the first bill I focus on and hope to have it gone in a few months!!  It too has the "lifetime" 3.99 but I know now that lifetime with Amex is actually referring to lifespan of a housefly so I'm scrambling to pay it off!!

And all the more reason I was thinking "you gotta be kidding me" when we both got the BT offer letters!!!

Fortunately, we do have other cards so we're not "married" to Amex and the divorce then won't be as painful as it could be.  I am concerned about losing the CLD, if even just from a "pride" standpoint (I know, that goes before a fall!!) , tho it would hurt utilization some til I get everything paid off.  These cards as well as a couple of others are just now 6 months old, so ew'll have to wait to app to replace the Amex CLs, but I'll be glad when I can do so and then won't ahve to worry if I do get a CLD from Amex!

Message Edited by rom828 on 10-12-2008 10:24 AM
FICOS: TU 732(05-16-16) EQ '08 739( 05-16-16) EX 737 (08-17-16)
Message 13 of 16
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Oh, I see now --I think I first read your original post with a couple dozen other things going on, and I got hold of the wrong end of the stick from the get-go. Sorry about that!

Hope your defenses against the free-ranging CLD remain strong! Smiley Very Happy
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 14 of 16
wmarat
Valued Contributor

MV, PIFing Amex card does not prevent AA from Amex.
IN VINO VERITAS.
Message 15 of 16
Established Contributor

You passed the test.

@rom828 wrote:
  I keep trying to stay below the CLD radar myself, but from all the posts, who the heck knows what the radar is looking for!!!

Maybe the offers are a test of current account holders financial responsibility and restraint. If you shred the offer you pass the test. Anyone who turns down low or 0% offers obviously isn't in financial trouble.

Maybe that is what the radar is looking for. Smiley Very Happy

Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.