Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SYNCB Synchrony Financial GE Credit WARNING

tag
RaiseMyScoreASAP
Regular Contributor

SYNCB Synchrony Financial GE Credit WARNING

In November 2013, I opened two charge accounts with GE Capital: one with Belk and one with Brooks Brothers. Since that time, GE Capital sold its charge accounts to Synchrony Bank (SYNCB). I left these two charge accounts in a hot car over the summer and they slightly warped. So I requested a replacement card for each.

SYNCB is now reporting that I have FOUR accounts, two open and two closed. SYNCB reported two of the accounts as "lost or stolen." This has increased my overall account total by two and decreased my AAOA. I have never experienced this from any other bank or creditor. With EVERY OTHER creditor, damaged cards are replaced the same account number. Sometimes, the creditor will assign a new account number, but certainly does not report multiple accounts. The customer service agents at Belk and Brooks Brothers have not been helpful in getting this resolved. I simply want it reported that I have ONE account with Belk and ONE account with Brooks Brothers. If I had known what a huge hassle and detriment this was I would have just kept my mouth shut and kep the damaged cards. They probably were fine to use, but were warped. I rarely use the physical cards anyway. I just show my ID and have the clerk look up the number. Finally I spoke to someone at Brooks Brothers who finally admitted that this practice was not the industry norm. He says that the duplicates should drop off in a few months. Why should I have to suffer because of their incorrect reporting?

The thing that really has me off the rails is the Belk people who tell me that oh no I am WRONG. THEIR personal credit was never impacted when THEY closed an account. It seems that EVERYONE who is an agent at Belk SYNCB is a certified FICO expert and I should be glad that they are so helpful. When you get denied credit solely because of the decrease in the AAOC, then you have suffered damages. And I have suffered damages.

THIS IS A WARNING TO ANYONE WHO HAS A CHARGE ACCOUNT WITH SYNCB. First, don't open an account with this bank in the first place. And if you do never request a replacement card. 

Message 1 of 38
37 REPLIES 37
JSS3
Valued Contributor

Re: SYNCB Synchrony Financial GE Credit WARNING

We have to take a hit when we initially apply. Should be no more after that. They don't even hit you for CLIs so this is really absurd.
Message 2 of 38
Strogen
Frequent Contributor

@RaiseMyScoreASAP wrote:

In November 2013, I opened two charge accounts with GE Capital: one with Belk and one with Brooks Brothers. Since that time, GE Capital sold its charge accounts to Synchrony Bank (SYNCB). I left these two charge accounts in a hot car over the summer and they slightly warped. So I requested a replacement card for each.

SYNCB is now reporting that I have FOUR accounts, two open and two closed. SYNCB reported two of the accounts as "lost or stolen." This has increased my overall account total by two and decreased my AAOA. I have never experienced this from any other bank or creditor. With EVERY OTHER creditor, damaged cards are replaced the same account number. Sometimes, the creditor will assign a new account number, but certainly does not report multiple accounts. The customer service agents at Belk and Brooks Brothers have not been helpful in getting this resolved. I simply want it reported that I have ONE account with Belk and ONE account with Brooks Brothers. If I had known what a huge hassle and detriment this was I would have just kept my mouth shut and kep the damaged cards. They probably were fine to use, but were warped. I rarely use the physical cards anyway. I just show my ID and have the clerk look up the number. Finally I spoke to someone at Brooks Brothers who finally admitted that this practice was not the industry norm. He says that the duplicates should drop off in a few months. Why should I have to suffer because of their incorrect reporting?

The thing that really has me off the rails is the Belk people who tell me that oh no I am WRONG. THEIR personal credit was never impacted when THEY closed an account. It seems that EVERYONE who is an agent at Belk SYNCB is a certified FICO expert and I should be glad that they are so helpful. When you get denied credit solely because of the decrease in the AAOC, then you have suffered damages. And I have suffered damages.

THIS IS A WARNING TO ANYONE WHO HAS A CHARGE ACCOUNT WITH SYNCB. First, don't open an account with this bank in the first place. And if you do never request a replacement card. 

Yeah I dont know about all that but SyncB is a very GOOD bank.... Gave me a 17K Lowes credit line and 5K at walmart and amazon. 

We can "step out back" about this if you want. Smiley Tonguehaha

807 TU FICO Score 8.
Message 3 of 38
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

I fail to see the overreaction or overdramatiztion in the above instance for all SYNCB cardholders.  Sure, it could be an isolated issue to perhaps some of the accountholder base - this does not imply it impacts everyone.  Damages - what damages - pain and suffering?  When my account #'s changed for a couple SYNCB cards, there were no duplicates reporting whatsoever.  Life went on.

Message 4 of 38
MyDataMyChoice
Valued Contributor

First of all,

SYNC did not sell to another company  GE Capital Retail Bank changed its name and went public

Yes, they do add additonal tradelines when they are reported lost/stolen or replacement card with new number

I beleive you can dispute this with the CRA though

It is not as the new account shows a new year... if anything this could actually help down the road... say you had the card for 10 years... order a new replacment card... bam you have two 10 year old tradelines now.

Message 5 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

It was just a name change on the bank - no portfolio change.

Message 6 of 38
JSS3
Valued Contributor

Tough room.
Message 7 of 38
pipeguy
Senior Contributor

Last year when I replaced a "lost Visa with BB&T" Bank (still can't find the card) they instantly canceled the card and sent a replacement - yes this is listed as "card lost or stolen" on my report with the new card showing as an active account - there was zero change in my Fico scores or anything else that I can see. Yes I suppose they could have reported it as a replacemt without listing the card as lost or stolen, but since account numbers are assigned to the report I understand why there are two listings AND I suspect it helps red flag ID issues or fraud. 

No Big Deal in my opinion ...

Message 8 of 38
MJ-san
Frequent Contributor

You may want to double check ... I've had a number of cards that have been compromised over the years and while the old tradelines show as "lost/stolen" the new tradelines will show with the previous account history and date open - there should be zero effect on you AAOA or FICO score. 

Message 9 of 38
RaiseMyScoreASAP
Regular Contributor

Well if you get pre approved for a loan based on the correct info and then the next day you get denied with the two reasons being your increased number of accounts and the lowering of your AAOA then you are damaged. I was denied credit based on info that the bank supplied to the three credit bureaus. No big deal if it isn't you being denied. When it is it IS a big deal.
Message 10 of 38
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.