Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SYNCB Synchrony Financial GE Credit WARNING

tag
taxi818
Super Contributor

Re: SYNCB Synchrony Financial GE Credit WARNING

@RaiseMyScoreASAP wrote:

In November 2013, I opened two charge accounts with GE Capital: one with Belk and one with Brooks Brothers. Since that time, GE Capital sold its charge accounts to Synchrony Bank (SYNCB). I left these two charge accounts in a hot car over the summer and they slightly warped. So I requested a replacement card for each.

SYNCB is now reporting that I have FOUR accounts, two open and two closed. SYNCB reported two of the accounts as "lost or stolen." This has increased my overall account total by two and decreased my AAOA. I have never experienced this from any other bank or creditor. With EVERY OTHER creditor, damaged cards are replaced the same account number. Sometimes, the creditor will assign a new account number, but certainly does not report multiple accounts. The customer service agents at Belk and Brooks Brothers have not been helpful in getting this resolved. I simply want it reported that I have ONE account with Belk and ONE account with Brooks Brothers. If I had known what a huge hassle and detriment this was I would have just kept my mouth shut and kep the damaged cards. They probably were fine to use, but were warped. I rarely use the physical cards anyway. I just show my ID and have the clerk look up the number. Finally I spoke to someone at Brooks Brothers who finally admitted that this practice was not the industry norm. He says that the duplicates should drop off in a few months. Why should I have to suffer because of their incorrect reporting?

The thing that really has me off the rails is the Belk people who tell me that oh no I am WRONG. THEIR personal credit was never impacted when THEY closed an account. It seems that EVERYONE who is an agent at Belk SYNCB is a certified FICO expert and I should be glad that they are so helpful. When you get denied credit solely because of the decrease in the AAOC, then you have suffered damages. And I have suffered damages.

THIS IS A WARNING TO ANYONE WHO HAS A CHARGE ACCOUNT WITH SYNCB. First, don't open an account with this bank in the first place. And if you do never request a replacement card. 

They did  not sell To synch.   Ge capital retail bank. Simply changed their name. They only said hey we're doing it zillion times. You are right opened and clsed. But history stated the same. And three would be no affect what so ever to your AAOA 

Message 31 of 38
RaiseMyScoreASAP
Regular Contributor

I disputed with the bureaus and all came back verified since they are only reporting what SYNCB tells them. I have found that simply disputing an account will lower your score about 2 points per dispute until the dispute is resolved and the comment removed. Some of my reports continue to have comments like "Updated from your disputes of ...." I would always prefer to work it out with the creditor. In some cases, however, the CRA are not reporting what the creditor give them. I had a Chase account reporting for years. Then it was removed. Problem easy to resolved with TU and EQ but with EX well a nightmare. EX claims Chase told them to remove the account when in fact EX was supressing the info recevied from Chase. That account is still not reporting on EX and my scores on EX are 6 points lower than the other two. 

Message 32 of 38
jwduke
Regular Contributor

@RaiseMyScoreASAP wrote:

In November 2013, I opened two charge accounts with GE Capital: one with Belk and one with Brooks Brothers. Since that time, GE Capital sold its charge accounts to Synchrony Bank (SYNCB). I left these two charge accounts in a hot car over the summer and they slightly warped. So I requested a replacement card for each.

SYNCB is now reporting that I have FOUR accounts, two open and two closed. SYNCB reported two of the accounts as "lost or stolen." This has increased my overall account total by two and decreased my AAOA. I have never experienced this from any other bank or creditor. With EVERY OTHER creditor, damaged cards are replaced the same account number. Sometimes, the creditor will assign a new account number, but certainly does not report multiple accounts. The customer service agents at Belk and Brooks Brothers have not been helpful in getting this resolved. I simply want it reported that I have ONE account with Belk and ONE account with Brooks Brothers. If I had known what a huge hassle and detriment this was I would have just kept my mouth shut and kep the damaged cards. They probably were fine to use, but were warped. I rarely use the physical cards anyway. I just show my ID and have the clerk look up the number. Finally I spoke to someone at Brooks Brothers who finally admitted that this practice was not the industry norm. He says that the duplicates should drop off in a few months. Why should I have to suffer because of their incorrect reporting?

The thing that really has me off the rails is the Belk people who tell me that oh no I am WRONG. THEIR personal credit was never impacted when THEY closed an account. It seems that EVERYONE who is an agent at Belk SYNCB is a certified FICO expert and I should be glad that they are so helpful. When you get denied credit solely because of the decrease in the AAOC, then you have suffered damages. And I have suffered damages.

THIS IS A WARNING TO ANYONE WHO HAS A CHARGE ACCOUNT WITH SYNCB. First, don't open an account with this bank in the first place. And if you do never request a replacement card. 

What he says is 100% true! When Sam's Club switched from Discover to MasterCard, I never received my new card. Soooo I called and explained what happened, I was tols a new one would be sent. Sooooo I get a alert on my CR that my Sam's Club MC CC is now Lost or Stolen!

Starting Score: 675
Current Score: FICO- 798 (02/21/18)
Goal Score: 800+ All Three

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 33 of 38
RaiseMyScoreASAP
Regular Contributor

THANK YOU FOR CONFIRMING!

@jwduke wrote:

@RaiseMyScoreASAP wrote:

What he says is 100% true! When Sam's Club switched from Discover to MasterCard, I never received my new card. Soooo I called and explained what happened, I was tols a new one would be sent. Sooooo I get a alert on my CR that my Sam's Club MC CC is now Lost or Stolen!

THANK YOU FOR CONFIRMING!! I didn't think I was crazy. Perhaps my mother should have had me tested like Sheldon Cooper.

The more I think about this, the madder I get. A bank is able to greatly lower your AAOA by sending you a replacement card. Say if I only had five cards and they are all with SYNCB but each was opened 25 years ago (I don't even know how long SYNCB has been around) and these are my only accounts. If I request the replacement cards or SYNBC just decides to send me a new card with a new account or say Brooks Brothers switches from Visa to MC, then my 25 year AAOA becomes 2.5 years just like that!!! You become someone with a low AAOA instead of a large AAOA overnight just because of this STUPID bank. 

So at first I thought I would keep the Brooks Brothers account open. Really getting a $20 gift card on my birthday and $25 off a purchase of $175 or more coupons are not enough. I had already decided to ditch the Belk card after it has 24 months of reporting. I was already getting nervous that my Brooks Brothers card would one day magically be "updated" to a MC and thus inflicting the same thing on me all over again. (In that case, if I requested the upgrade to a MC, I would fully expect a new account would be showing and the old one would be closed. That would be like applying for a new BB MC.)

However, I am going to file a complaint with the FACT people or FCRA people. The responses I have gotten from SYNCB in the mail have been automated boilerplate. Their customer service stinks so bad I had to spray Febreeze on the phone for days. 

Right now I can't tell if the letters I have received from them were in reponse to my FAX or phone call or letter. Their letter to me didn't reference what correpsondence. So I may need to resend via certified mail and request that the response specifically refer to my letter.

Message 34 of 38
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@RaiseMyScoreASAP wrote:

@jwduke wrote:

@RaiseMyScoreASAP wrote:

THANK YOU FOR CONFIRMING!! I didn't think I was crazy. Perhaps my mother should have had me tested like Sheldon Cooper.

The more I think about this, the madder I get. A bank is able to greatly lower your AAOA by sending you a replacement card. Say if I only had five cards and they are all with SYNCB but each was opened 25 years ago (I don't even know how long SYNCB has been around) and these are my only accounts. If I request the replacement cards or SYNBC just decides to send me a new card with a new account or say Brooks Brothers switches from Visa to MC, then my 25 year AAOA becomes 2.5 years just like that!!! You become someone with a low AAOA instead of a large AAOA overnight just because of this STUPID bank.   This is incorrect, a lost/stolen card does not calculate into Fico scoring in any way, it does not cause a loss of AAoA. A product upgrade to a bankcard from store card will be  a new account and your AAoA will change with the new account opening. The old store card gets closed and it stays around for up to 10 yrs post close.

So at first I thought I would keep the Brooks Brothers account open. Really getting a $20 gift card on my birthday and $25 off a purchase of $175 or more coupons are not enough. I had already decided to ditch the Belk card after it has 24 months of reporting. I was already getting nervous that my Brooks Brothers card would one day magically be "updated" to a MC and thus inflicting the same thing on me all over again. (In that case, if I requested the upgrade to a MC, I would fully expect a new account would be showing and the old one would be closed. That would be like applying for a new BB MC.) You have the choice of denying the upgrade if its offered to you, its their policy that the old account is closed and a new one opens with the current date, there is nothing wrong or illegal in this.

However, I am going to file a complaint with the FACT people or FCRA people. The responses I have gotten from SYNCB in the mail have been automated boilerplate. Their customer service stinks so bad I had to spray Febreeze on the phone for days. I do not see an issue with Synch the premise that your AAoA is changed due to lost/stolen/replacement cards is not correct.

Right now I can't tell if the letters I have received from them were in reponse to my FAX or phone call or letter. Their letter to me didn't reference what correpsondence. So I may need to resend via certified mail and request that the response specifically refer to my letter.

Message 35 of 38
RaiseMyScoreASAP
Regular Contributor

@gdale6 wrote:

@RaiseMyScoreASAP wrote:

@jwduke wrote:

@RaiseMyScoreASAP wrote:

The more I think about this, the madder I get. A bank is able to greatly lower your AAOA by sending you a replacement card. Say if I only had five cards and they are all with SYNCB but each was opened 25 years ago (I don't even know how long SYNCB has been around) and these are my only accounts. If I request the replacement cards or SYNBC just decides to send me a new card with a new account or say Brooks Brothers switches from Visa to MC, then my 25 year AAOA becomes 2.5 years just like that!!! You become someone with a low AAOA instead of a large AAOA overnight just because of this STUPID bank.   This is incorrect, a lost/stolen card does not calculate into Fico scoring in any way, it does not cause a loss of AAoA. A product upgrade to a bankcard from store card will be  a new account and your AAoA will change with the new account opening. The old store card gets closed and it stays around for up to 10 yrs post close.

So at first I thought I would keep the Brooks Brothers account open. Really getting a $20 gift card on my birthday and $25 off a purchase of $175 or more coupons are not enough. I had already decided to ditch the Belk card after it has 24 months of reporting. I was already getting nervous that my Brooks Brothers card would one day magically be "updated" to a MC and thus inflicting the same thing on me all over again. (In that case, if I requested the upgrade to a MC, I would fully expect a new account would be showing and the old one would be closed. That would be like applying for a new BB MC.) You have the choice of denying the upgrade if its offered to you, its their policy that the old account is closed and a new one opens with the current date, there is nothing wrong or illegal in this.

However, I am going to file a complaint with the FACT people or FCRA people. The responses I have gotten from SYNCB in the mail have been automated boilerplate. Their customer service stinks so bad I had to spray Febreeze on the phone for days. I do not see an issue with Synch the premise that your AAoA is changed due to lost/stolen/replacement cards is not correct.

I can only report what happened to me. The day before SYNCB closed and opened these new accounts, my AAOA was 3.6 years. The day after, my AAOA dropped to 2 years. No other information changed except for the changes that SYNCB reported to the CRAs. I had added no other accounts, I had closed no other accounts. No other accounts aged off my report. No hard inquiries. The change was easiestto track on TU, which offers a comparison report of exactly what changes from day to day.I pull each report directly from all three bureaus every single day. In addition, my overall number of accounts had increased by 2. The account histories are reporting for the full length of time on both the closed accounts and the "new" accounts. In my case all payments were paid on time, So there was no negative info to report or repeat. The "new credit" indicator on my reports went from "good" to "fair" on all three reports. If there were some new account that was just reporting, I could understand that. But these two cards were my newest accounts.

So if SYNCB's reporting had no effect on these matters, then I simply do not understand how the reports lost 1.6 years of average age overnight. At one point, I did the math of the average age by months and found that I had lost about a total of 14.4 months.  

BTW all of my other creditors simply either replaced the damaged cards with either the same account number or issued a new card number but only reported one account open and none closed.

At this point, however, I am simply moving on and trying to put myself in the best possible position to obtain a CSP card. 

Message 36 of 38
creditguy-378
Regular Contributor

Sync bank is Ge capital they just split off the finance arm from Ge and renamed it so they could sell shares of stock it really no different
always use credit wisely and you won't ever feel like you're working just for the task master
Message 37 of 38
RaiseMyScoreASAP
Regular Contributor

I just logged on to my Brooks Brothers account and was informed that the Brooks Brothers accounts will not be handled by CITI not Synchony Bank. I am THRILLED!!!! Synchony bites. So they can take their stupid non industry reporting and shove it.

Message 38 of 38
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.