Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sad Day for Discover

tag
asulaw
Established Member

Sad Day for Discover

Gah! I'm kind of upset, but also relieved.

Today I called Discover so I could get a CLI from my measly $2,000 to somehwere in the $5,000 range. I am going into a month where I am required to put some expenses onto my credit and I wanted to do a BT over to the Discover. I really have always loved this card, it was my second card too which I've had for maybe 2 yeras. But, they declined me over the phone. Smiley Sad

That was the upsetting part, but the not so upsetting part is that I know I need to hit the garden now! I was wondering if I was pushing it with this CLI. I've had since February opened up the Chase Slate, Marriott Premier, Citi TY Preferred, and Amex TE. I'll just wait until my 3x CLI 61 days. I've probably got about 5 inquiries in the past year on there now, most of them being too close together though. Oops?

Wells Fargo Student - $2,300 / Discover It - $2,000 / Chase Slate - $1,500 / Marriott Premier Rewards - $5,000 / Citi ThankYou Preferred - $2,000 / AMEX TrueEarnings - $1,200 / Target RedCard - $300

Total CL: $14,300
Util: 28%
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Sad Day for Discover

If your util is correct in your siggy, that is most likely the reason for the denial. Drop the util and it will be easier to get CLIs from all your cards in the future.

Message 2 of 9
asulaw
Established Member

Yeah, I figured that is why, especially because I have about 35% utilization on that card.

Do they pull EX? Or just TU?

Wells Fargo Student - $2,300 / Discover It - $2,000 / Chase Slate - $1,500 / Marriott Premier Rewards - $5,000 / Citi ThankYou Preferred - $2,000 / AMEX TrueEarnings - $1,200 / Target RedCard - $300

Message 3 of 9
blondy250
Established Contributor

You'll probably ok with the Amex 3x cli, I wouldn't be too disppointed.

Fico 8 12/9/17
Equifax 850, TransUnion 842 10/30/17 , Experian 842 12/11/17 . AAOA 12 years Oldest 20
No inquires since 2014
All credit reports frozen
Fico 8 Equifax Bankcard 866 12/27/16
Message 4 of 9
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@asulaw wrote:

Yeah, I figured that is why, especially because I have about 35% utilization on that card.

Do they pull EX? Or just TU?

They can pull EX but if you have an account the management of it is going to be off TU..

Message 5 of 9
PlasticOrPlastic
Established Contributor

Not sure about the util being the problem unless they noted that?  I got a 1k increase on my IT card yesterday after having it 3 months.  I had upwards of 40% util with balances on 5 cards.  I guess it depends on other factors as well but they didnt bat an eye for my request to double my CL. 

It looks like they soft pulled TU for me as well. 

Message 6 of 9
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@asulaw wrote:

Gah! I'm kind of upset, but also relieved.

Today I called Discover so I could get a CLI from my measly $2,000 to somehwere in the $5,000 range. I am going into a month where I am required to put some expenses onto my credit and I wanted to do a BT over to the Discover. I really have always loved this card, it was my second card too which I've had for maybe 2 yeras. But, they declined me over the phone. Smiley Sad

That was the upsetting part, but the not so upsetting part is that I know I need to hit the garden now! I was wondering if I was pushing it with this CLI. I've had since February opened up the Chase Slate, Marriott Premier, Citi TY Preferred, and Amex TE. I'll just wait until my 3x CLI 61 days. I've probably got about 5 inquiries in the past year on there now, most of them being too close together though. Oops?

you can ask to be transferred to a credit analyst to go over your credit report and talk to you about the declined CLI (the computer initially declined my partner and I with the HP and we were able to get it after talking with credit.

Discover pulls TU for all CLI but I can't get them to pull anything but EQ for application!

Message 7 of 9
asulaw
Established Member

My scores could have also been a factor, I'm at a sad 643 right now for my EX. I should have really thought that through before.

Message 8 of 9
amakol
Regular Contributor

@asulaw wrote:

My scores could have also been a factor, I'm at a sad 643 right now for my EX. I should have really thought that through before.

Discover has never once looked at my EX report, even with softs that I can see over the past 12-18 months. They love TU - application, HP CLI x2, softing for account review.

EQ 740 FICO, 4 INQ | EX 736 FICO, 5 INQ | TU 745 FICO, 5 INQ | CL $175K | AAOA 4 Years
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.