cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Safe Amount for a Discover Soft Pull CLI?

tag
daybreakgonesXe
Valued Contributor

Safe Amount for a Discover Soft Pull CLI?

Hey guys! So my brother has had his Discover Open Road Student since June 2012, so he is well above and beyond the 6 month mark Smiley Happy next to his $5,000 credit limit, there is a "request increase" button.

I haven't clicked it yet, since I need some information first. He can't have any hard pulls due to his recent Giants card from Barclays (November 2012). What is a safe CLI from $5,000 that will result in a soft pull? I was reading around and some people say $2,000 is a safer bet. If he puts in a higher amount, say, double his current limit, will they want a hard pull and not counteroffer a soft? Or does Discover counteroffer? Is there a cap on limits on the Discover student cards?

Thanks guys! Happy New Year!

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
UFGuy2006
Established Contributor

Re: Safe Amount for a Discover Soft Pull CLI?

@daybreakgonesXe wrote:

Hey guys! So my brother has had his Discover Open Road Student since June 2012, so he is well above and beyond the 6 month mark Smiley Happy next to his $5,000 credit limit, there is a "request increase" button.

I haven't clicked it yet, since I need some information first. He can't have any hard pulls due to his recent Giants card from Barclays (November 2012). What is a safe CLI from $5,000 that will result in a soft pull? I was reading around and some people say $2,000 is a safer bet. If he puts in a higher amount, say, double his current limit, will they want a hard pull and not counteroffer a soft? Or does Discover counteroffer? Is there a cap on limits on the Discover student cards?

I usually do 2-3 k. They will counter if thats too high. Good luck!

Message 2 of 7
daybreakgonesXe
Valued Contributor

@UFGuy2006 wrote:

@daybreakgonesXe wrote:

Thanks!!! We will probably be doing it shortly, think the 2k is a safe bet! Thanks for your reply!

Message 3 of 7
thom02099
Valued Contributor

@UFGuy2006 wrote:

@daybreakgonesXe wrote:

Just recently hit the LUV button on Discover.  Had a CL of $5200, asked for an increase to $10K.  Had to verify employment/salary info in the automated system, and got the caveat that there may be a credit pull for the request.  Got the usual  7-10 day response message.  Checked my Discover account the next day, balanced showed as $10K!  There was a hard pull, they pulled TU (Colorado). 

Message 4 of 7
daybreakgonesXe
Valued Contributor

Re: Safe Amount for a Discover Soft Pull CLI? Updated, More Info!

Running into a snag: is this normal for them to say with a soft pull? Or will this likely be a hard pull? It's asking for the credit limit amount, why you want it, employment info, and housing info.

Requesting an increase to your credit line is easy. Tell us the amount you would like your credit line to increase by and provide some of your employment and financial information to help us with our decision.  This request may also require us to pull a credit bureau report, which may affect your credit score.  Most decisions are immediate, however it may take up to two business days.

Will they warn me if a hard pull is required first, or is this a guaranteed hard pull?

Message 5 of 7
daybreakgonesXe
Valued Contributor

@thom02099 wrote:

@UFGuy2006 wrote:

@daybreakgonesXe wrote:

Just recently hit the LUV button on Discover.  Had a CL of $5200, asked for an increase to $10K.  Had to verify employment/salary info in the automated system, and got the caveat that there may be a credit pull for the request.  Got the usual  7-10 day response message.  Checked my Discover account the next day, balanced showed as $10K!  There was a hard pull, they pulled TU (Colorado). 

Thanks thom02099. It's all one form for him, it doesn't let you pick your increase THEN goes to a next page for employment stuff. I just mentioned that it may require a credit pull, so we will hold off! Thanks!

Message 6 of 7
thom02099
Valued Contributor

Re: Safe Amount for a Discover Soft Pull CLI? Updated, More Info!

@daybreakgonesXe wrote:

Running into a snag: is this normal for them to say with a soft pull? Or will this likely be a hard pull? It's asking for the credit limit amount, why you want it, employment info, and housing info.

Requesting an increase to your credit line is easy. Tell us the amount you would like your credit line to increase by and provide some of your employment and financial information to help us with our decision.  This request may also require us to pull a credit bureau report, which may affect your credit score.  Most decisions are immediate, however it may take up to two business days.

Will they warn me if a hard pull is required first, or is this a guaranteed hard pull?

I got the same message, put in there that I wanted the increase for travel purposes (I don't think it really matters what choice, since it's likely automated).  Same warning about the credit bureau report, mine was a hard pull to TU.  No biggie, only 2 inquiries on my TU report. My guess is,if you get the immediate response of approval (which I've gotten from other sites), it's a soft pull or internal scoring;  if you get the 7-10day message, it will likely be a hard pull. 

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.