Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Safety of EMV chips

tag
yfan
Valued Contributor

Re: Safety of EMV chips

@xerostatus wrote:

I am personally a little skeptical on the actual virtues of EMV, especially the Chip-n-sig variety.

That set up still relies on the due diligence of a lowly cashier to verify that your signature matches or whatever.

I used my chip card at walmart the other day, at the self checkout.

Machine directed me to insert the card (instead of swiping) and transaction went through. No cashier checking sigs, or IDs, or nothing.

I didnt even sign the touchpad thing.

I dont see how that's any different than magnetic strips.

And yes, I'm aware that EMV chips are inherently more difficult to clone than magnetic strips, but EMV cloning is not unheard of, so...

Basically, once its cloned, the gates are wide open.

That is because Chip cards (of either the signature variety or PIN) can, for small transactions, athorize without the need for a signature/PIN. That isn't where its security enhancement comes from. If your physical card is stolen and used before you have a chance to reprot it, yes, it will go through for such transactions. The difference with magnetic strip cards is that the chip generates a unique transaction code for each transaction, which can only be used once. So if someone copied the information from a reader and duplicated a card, they will have duplicated a static transaction code, which would already have become inactive. It makes stolen information harder to profit off of.

Message 11 of 13
sexy_kitten7
Regular Contributor

@Shock wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cs4I-hURT7A

Heres the vid in question.

What does RFID have to do with credit cards though?

Contactless payments allow payment by tapping the card against (or near) the terminal. They use RFID technology and are called different names: Visa Blink, Mastercard Paypass, and Amex ExpressPay. Cards containing these RFID chips are pretty common and are denoted with a "WiFi symbol."

This is completely unrelated to EMV chips, which are not contactless.

Quicksilver MC / Amazon.com / Better Balance Rewards Visa / Freedom / Dividend / Quicksilver Visa / Cash+ / Thank You Preferred / Blue Cash Everyday / Better Balance Rewards MC / BankAmericard HRC Cash Rewards / It / Arrival / FlexPerks / Platinum AAdvantage / MileagePlus Explorer / LifeMiles
Message 12 of 13
Shock
Established Contributor

Hmmm. My old chase freedom had the sideways wifi thing on it, and my new one doesnt...but it seems most credit cards dont have the tap feature..am i wrong?

photo myfico_zpsd00088cb.jpg
Message 13 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.