Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Said goodbye to orchard today!

tag
khw
Regular Contributor

Said goodbye to orchard today!

I've had my orchard card since 2005 and have been paying a $59 AF and have never once had a credit limit increase because the two times I called in to ask for one and they told me it would be a $10 charge to get $100 CLI! I couldn't believe I still had a card with a $300 limit and never been late/over the limit and paying an AF so I called today and asked to have the AF removed, they told me no way they never do that so I said ok cancel it! 

I was then sent to the department that deals with account closures and the guy there said they would wave it this year if I'd stay, I asked if they would wave the AF permanently and he said no, so I told him unless they could do that I didn't want it... He then started in on this whole line about how they are the ONLY credit card that reports to all 3 CRA's and then told me that I would never be able to get another card like Orchard with credit like mine! WTH! My scores are between 695 and 750! I gave him a piece of my mind and he shut up and closed the account.  I can't believe they flat out lie to people like this, its just sad they are allowed to practice these "scare tactics" !

Starting Score: 480-550 in 2005
Current Score: 761 TU/764 EQ - 08/1/2013 /754 EX 12/15/12
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: Said goodbye to orchard today!

congrats to have moved on

Message 2 of 9
lajntx
Frequent Contributor

Congrats.

My Orchard card turns 1 in December. My  AF is $74. I`'m going to go ahead and renew for the year at that time, but as soon as all 3 CB`s show a year I believe I will be cancelling my account sometime after the first of the new year. I think I am going to replace my Orchard with a secured card either through US Bank or BofA. At least with them I can set my own limit... raise it anytime I want too and pay less in AF`s and APR`s

EQ- 647, EX- 641, TU- 644
Sept `13 - ZERO Debt, 100% Liquid, AND a climbing credit score. Eat your heart out Dave Ramsey!
Message 3 of 9
KIPPIE12
Established Contributor

It has served its' purpose, time to move on to better products.  Orchard does report to all bureaus, but they aren't the only ones who do.

Current Score: EQ: 828, EX: 833, TU: 820 Citi TY Premier WEMC 46.5, (Since 1983)Discover 15.6k|BOA WMC 30.5k|Barclays Juniper Rewards 15k|Barclays Amex 20k| Cap One QS WMC 15K|Chase Freedom VS 19.3k|Citi Dividend WEMC 25k|FNBO 15.5k|CSP 22.1K|Chase Marriott 31.3k|Citi TYP 20K|Citi DP 16.5k|Macys 5k|Sams MasterCard 15k|Barclay Arrival Plus WEMC 18.7k|Chase IHG WMC 26k|Citi Double Cash 10k|Chase MileagePlus Explorer 14k|Amex Everyday 16.2|BBVA Amex 22.5k|Total Rewards VS 12.5k|SGV 10K|Venture 12k|BOA Virgin Atlantic WEMC 11.2K|MB Amex 9.5k
Message 4 of 9
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Will there be a memorial service for your now-closed Orchard?

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

ive had an orchard card for a long while now. its actually my oldest card. i think ive had it for nearly 6 or 7 years now. ive been rebuilding my credit for a long while now and im finally over 700 on my equifax. id love to cancel the orchard. its got the lowest limit of all my cards at 1800 and it has a annual fee. everytime ive called in for a CLI the only offer 100 bucks and they want to charge me a fee for the increase. im afriad to cancel it because its such an old account. Smiley Sad my only other two cards i just got this year

Message 6 of 9
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@Anonymous wrote:

ive had an orchard card for a long while now. its actually my oldest card. i think ive had it for nearly 6 or 7 years now. ive been rebuilding my credit for a long while now and im finally over 700 on my equifax. id love to cancel the orchard. its got the lowest limit of all my cards at 1800 and it has a annual fee. everytime ive called in for a CLI the only offer 100 bucks and they want to charge me a fee for the increase. im afriad to cancel it because its such an old account. Smiley Sad my only other two cards i just got this year

A closed account should remain on your reports for up to ten years, and it is included in calculating your longest account age and average age of accounts. If you don't let balances report, or only a minimal amount, it shouldn't affect your util, either.

I'm not trying to encourage you to close it, but it's good to know how all this works. Read fused's Closing Credit Cards to help you think through the process.

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 7 of 9
khw
Regular Contributor

@llecs wrote:

Will there be a memorial service for your now-closed Orchard?

Yes, it was on Friday. I said a few choice words as I put it in the shredder Smiley Wink  

I then checked my mail box to find that I had a letter from discover saying I had a $350 auto CLI! yay that's $50 more then my orchard card was!

...Thanks for all the congrats, I'm so happy to have outgrown orchard and be so near my credit score goal that's taken me over over 4 years to get to. If I didn't have the help of this forum I would have never been here thanks for all the advice guys!

Starting Score: 480-550 in 2005
Current Score: 761 TU/764 EQ - 08/1/2013 /754 EX 12/15/12
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey thanks i read that write up on closing cards and it was really informative...i have about 2k right now across 18k of cards....so i dont think closing it will be that big of a deal....

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.