Not applicable

Re: Sallie Mae APR question

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Themanwhocan wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm trying to think back but has anyone had success lowering their APR below the 13.99% (guess it is 14.24% now)?  Planning on calling tomorrow for the APR/CLI routine and was curious if others have had it lowered below their 'lowest' rate.

Mine is still showing at 13.99, Have some been increased?

No, it' still at 13.99%   Figured they would have raised the rate by now but apparently not

Can they still raise the rate if the card is less than a year old, if the reason is the prime rate went up?

Yup, Chase did it to Humuhumhumu.. for her Hyatt card before she even received the card.

The only portion that changed was prime, not the actual APR of the card though.  CC issuers can't control primeSmiley Happy

Huh? I know that they don't control the Prime Smiley Tongue but the APR varies based on the Prime so the APR on the card did change.  If you're paying more it changed Smiley LOL

Message 21 of 36
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Themanwhocan wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm trying to think back but has anyone had success lowering their APR below the 13.99% (guess it is 14.24% now)?  Planning on calling tomorrow for the APR/CLI routine and was curious if others have had it lowered below their 'lowest' rate.

No, it' still at 13.99%   Figured they would have raised the rate by now but apparently not

Can they still raise the rate if the card is less than a year old, if the reason is the prime rate went up?

Yup, Chase did it to Humuhumhumu.. for her Hyatt card before she even received the card.

The only portion that changed was prime, not the actual APR of the card though.  CC issuers can't control primeSmiley Happy

Huh? I know that they don't control the Prime Smiley Tongue but the APR varies based on the Prime so the APR on the card did change.  If you're paying more it changed Smiley LOL

Ok think we have some confusion.. CC issuers including chase should say something like 13.99% + Prime which is currently 16.29% APR or whatever it is so it avoids confusing with people.   Some people just see say 13.99 on Sallie Mae, but don't take Prime into consideration that is added upon that figure.  Obviously their are some CC's that are fixed as well, but alot more rare, especially on rewards CC..  

Morale of story call in and get your APR lowered every 6 months, except for Chase as they don't play that game currently Smiley Happy..  Although if Prime goes up enough they might!

Message 22 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Themanwhocan wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Ok think we have some confusion.. CC issuers including chase should say something like 13.99% + Prime which is currently 16.29% APR or whatever it is so it avoids confusing with people.   Some people just see say 13.99 on Sallie Mae, but don't take Prime into consideration that is added upon that figure.  Obviously their are some CC's that are fixed as well, but alot more rare, especially on rewards CC..  

Morale of story call in and get your APR lowered every 6 months, except for Chase as they don't play that game currently Smiley Happy..  Although if Prime goes up enough they might!

True but the 13.99% on the SM includes the Prime rate already added.  It's not 13.99% plus the Prime.

Message 23 of 36
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Themanwhocan wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

True but the 13.99% on the SM includes the Prime rate already added.  It's not 13.99% plus the Prime.

Lol ok I am confused.  Thought it was 13.99 plus prime.  Hence the clarification that should be stated more clearly as I just got confused lol..

Message 24 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Themanwhocan wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Lol ok I am confused.  Thought it was 13.99 plus prime.  Hence the clarification that should be stated more clearly as I just got confused lol..

It's definitely confusing but think about it.  If as you thought, the rates shown don't include Prime then when they raised the rate on Humu's Hyatt card from 15.99% to 16.24 they would instead say your rate went from 12.74% + 3.25 to 12.74% + 3.50.  The rates shown include the Prime but always say variable because they already include the Prime added in.   Hope that makes sense.

Message 25 of 36
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Makes sense just had a mental lapse

Message 26 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

You know what that means?  Time to start drinking?

Message 27 of 36
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

You know what that means?  Time to start drinking?

You are right, typically think better after a fewSmiley Tongue

Message 28 of 36
Gunnar419
Valued Contributor

Um, anyhow, after all that discussion about prime, I'm another who got my Sallie Mae APR lowered to 9.99 a couple of months ago thanks to info I read here at good old MyFico. I suppose they'll raise it to 10.24 now, but that's okay. Beats the 13.99 I was at before.

Go, ask, and good luck!

Message 29 of 36
ddemari
Super Contributor

That plus prime scenario made my mind spin for a second but makes sense haha! I got my Hyatt visa with the 15.9 paperwork after the account had been online with the 16.24 also haha.
Message 30 of 36
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.