Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sallie Mae Bonus CB Promotion

tag
heyitsyeh
Frequent Contributor

Sallie Mae Bonus CB Promotion

Just called Barclaycard for my periodic World Elite upgrade status (still a no-go) but got two SP CLI's in the process (10k->14k and 2.5k-3.5k).

The CSR then mentioned a promotion for the fall months for Sallie Mae cardholders but we only get to pick one of two options:

1. Spend $1000 in the next 90 days, get $50 cb

2. Get 1 extra point in gas, groceries, and utilities, up to $8000 in purchases in the next 90 days. That's right guys, utilities not bookstores.

Too lazy to do the specific math but 1 is probably good for most people unless you put a crazy amount of spend on Sallie Mae, which is very unlikely. Time to buy those Amazon gift cards Smiley Happy

Give them a call!

TU: 777 | EQ: 814 | EX: 764
Last INQ: 3/26/21
AAoA: 4y 7m
Lowest limit: Chase Freedom Visa - $13,000
Highest limit: Discover It - $56,500
Available credit: $200,600 (8 cards)
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Sallie Mae Bonus CB Promotion

Are you eligible even if you are a new cardholder or only for longer standing members? I just got Sallie Mae (which I absolutely love!), and the first statement hasn't even been cut yet. It sounds like a good promotion, just don't know if I'd be qualified since I'm so new.

Message 2 of 12
heyarrnold
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Are you eligible even if you are a new cardholder or only for longer standing members? I just got Sallie Mae (which I absolutely love!), and the first statement hasn't even been cut yet. It sounds like a good promotion, just don't know if I'd be qualified since I'm so new.

Call in and ask Smiley Happy No harm done. 

Message 3 of 12
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@heyitsyeh wrote:

Just called Barclaycard for my periodic World Elite upgrade status (still a no-go) but got two SP CLI's in the process (10k->14k and 2.5k-3.5k).

The CSR then mentioned a promotion for the fall months for Sallie Mae cardholders but we only get to pick one of two options:

1. Spend $1000 in the next 90 days, get $50 cb

2. Get 1 extra point in gas, groceries, and utilities, up to $8000 in purchases in the next 90 days. That's right guys, utilities not bookstores.

Too lazy to do the specific math but 1 is probably good for most people unless you put a crazy amount of spend on Sallie Mae, which is very unlikely. Time to buy those Amazon gift cards Smiley Happy

Give them a call!

OK, I will do the specific math as it is very very hard.  1 extra point on $8000 at 1 point per $ is about, um, 8,000 points.   And 8,000 points is worth, let's see, $80.

So if you spend more than $5K in those categories on this card over three montsh (remembering you can buy gift cards at a lot of supermarkets) offer 2 is better.  If not, and you can spend a $1000, offer 1.

ETA: but of course you cannot spend more than $1,500 in the gas/groceries in 3 months and still get the 5%, so unless you have more than $3500 in utility bills, option 1 will win.

Message 4 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is this promotion advertised anywhere on their website?

Message 5 of 12
Closingracer99
Valued Contributor

This makes me want to leave the garden and apply Smiley Tongue

My Cards: Amex BCE: $9,000, Amex Hilton HHonors: $2,000, Amex ED: $12,000, Barclays NFL extra points: $3,000, Bank of America MLB cash rewards: $17,000, BBVA compass NBA Amex triple double rewards: $17,000, Chase Amazon: $1,000, Chase Freedom: $9,000, Chase Sapphire: $5,000, Chase Slate: $5,000, Chase Disney: $4,000, Citi Double Cash: $5,400, Citi AA plat: $5,500, Citi Simplicity: $3,000, Citi Thank you preferred: $8,800, Capital one GM: $2,000, Capital one PlayStation: $3,000, Gamestop: $1,150, Amazon Store: $5,000, Ebay MasterCard: $5,000, American Eagle Storecard: $750, Macy's: $500
EX: 744, TU:750, EQ: 740
Message 6 of 12
PlasticOrPlastic
Established Contributor

I just called, CSR knew nothing about it so maybe its targeted?  I could barely understand the rep and and he didnt really know what I was talking about. 

Message 7 of 12
Legen_dary
Frequent Contributor

If I get this promotion on mine, I'll happily run $1k through it.

Message 8 of 12
sponge_gto
New Contributor

The OP should make clear which number she called as different numbers tend to reach different levels of CSR.

Amex: EDP, Platinum, SPG, Delta Gold; Chase: United no-AF, CSR, FU, IHG, Freedom; US Bank: Club Carlson Premier, Fidelity; Barclay: Rewards, SM; Discover: IT; Cap. One: Quicksilver; BoA: BBR; Consumers CU: Cash Rebates Siggy
Message 9 of 12
celluloid17
Established Contributor

I assume the $50 cash back for $1000 in spend is in addition to any rewards we would normally earn?  For example, if we spend $1000 solely in 5% categories, we'd technically be elligible for $100 cash back ($1000 spend at 5% back= 5000pts=$50 + $50 cash back bonus =$100)??

I hope we all get this targeted offer.  I assume if it's a fall promotion, we'd be alerted to it sometime next month.

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.