Did you mean: 

Sallie Mae Credit Card

tag
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: Sallie Mae Credit Card

@Anonymous wrote:

Creditkarma TU score is very close my actual TransUnion Fico

That is just chance, many people find large variations, but it depends on your credit profile.  For example, CK ignores closed accounts when calculating AAoA, so if you have a lot of those, chances are that CK will be lower than your true FICO 08.   And lots of other differences.   Mine is 68 points lower.

General advice is ignore the scores given, and use it for the credit repots and sometimes for the alerts, although those have been flaky for some.

Message 21 of 100
TRC_WA
Senior Contributor

Mine arrived today... $6700.

I was approved on 12/26/14 with 20 INQ's on TU from 2013 (aged) and 2 INQ's from 2014.

TU was 665.

I also had 16 months history with Barclays Apple card that was closed when I was approved for this account.

FICO8 current as of : 4-17-24 EQ: 724 TU: 707 EX: 706
Hard INQs last 12 months: EQ: 5 | TU: 8 | EX: 9
Verizon Visa $8500 Amex Delta Reserve $10,000 Care Credit $18,000
NFCU CashRewards $7500 Apple Card $7000 Best Buy $8000 Amazon $5000
NFCU auto loan (2022 Ford Bronco Sport Badlands - Cactus Gray) 6.95%
NFCU motorcycle loan (2024 Harley Davidson Road Glide - Alpine Green & Chrome) 9.45%
Total CL: $64,000 --- Total CC UTI: 27% --- AAoA: 5.5 years --- Income: $200k
Last app: 4-6-24
Message 22 of 100
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Creditkarma TU score is very close my actual TransUnion Fico
but 4 inquiries is definately looks like too many for this card in my opinion

Not in my case. CK has my score at 623 where as myfico TU and Barclays shows it at 695 so it is not always correct or ever really for me. Smiley Wink

Message 23 of 100
Anonymous
Not applicable

My CK score is 100 points off my FICO TU Score.  It should never be compared to a 'real' TU score.

Message 24 of 100
Gunnar419
Valued Contributor

@pannna wrote:

Recently I cam accross Sallie Mae credit card.
And to be honest, I was totally WOWed. 5% on gas, grocery and amazon thorughout year. that's like THE BEST.

But when I tried to read more about it, it doesn't seem that others are also WOWed by this credit card.
Can somebody please let me know, what is wrong with this card? (of course they have $250/month limit, but being a student, I would also like to keep my expenditure in that limit and if required I can always apply for another card or use the card I was using before.)

There's definitely NOTHING wrong with the Sallie Mae MC! It's one of the great loves of MyFico and is especially great for single people and those of us who use credit for a lot of small, everyday expenses (and AMAZON!). Barclays is a good company, the card gives decent CLIs, and what's not to like? I'm in love with my Sallie Mae.

Is is really that others aren't wowed or just that they don't know about it? It's a very obscure card outside of MyFico, where it's on everybody's wish list.

Message 25 of 100
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@Gunnar419 wrote:

@pannna wrote:

And to be honest, I was totally WOWed. 5% on gas, grocery and amazon thorughout year. that's like THE BEST.

But when I tried to read more about it, it doesn't seem that others are also WOWed by this credit card.
Can somebody please let me know, what is wrong with this card? (of course they have $250/month limit, but being a student, I would also like to keep my expenditure in that limit and if required I can always apply for another card or use the card I was using before.)

There's definitely NOTHING wrong with the Sallie Mae MC! It's one of the great loves of MyFico and is especially great for single people and those of us who use credit for a lot of small, everyday expenses (and AMAZON!). Barclays is a good company, the card gives decent CLIs, and what's not to like? I'm in love with my Sallie Mae.

Is is really that others aren't wowed or just that they don't know about it? It's a very obscure card outside of MyFico, where it's on everybody's wish list.

i think its not written about as much recently because everybody who wants it has it already 

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 26 of 100
TRC_WA
Senior Contributor

@Gunnar419 wrote:

I'd never heard of it till I joined myFICO.  My student loans were with Sallie Mae till the Navient changeover so I had heard of them.

My first purchase was a $50 dinner and bar tab last night... I do believe I get a $25 statement credit on the first purchase. 

Already in love with the card.. LOL...  I didn't use my Apple card hardly at all for the last 8 months or so that I had it... Barclays needn't worry about this one... it will get plenty of use.  Smiley Happy  Smiley Happy  Smiley Happy

FICO8 current as of : 4-17-24 EQ: 724 TU: 707 EX: 706
Hard INQs last 12 months: EQ: 5 | TU: 8 | EX: 9
Verizon Visa $8500 Amex Delta Reserve $10,000 Care Credit $18,000
NFCU CashRewards $7500 Apple Card $7000 Best Buy $8000 Amazon $5000
NFCU auto loan (2022 Ford Bronco Sport Badlands - Cactus Gray) 6.95%
NFCU motorcycle loan (2024 Harley Davidson Road Glide - Alpine Green & Chrome) 9.45%
Total CL: $64,000 --- Total CC UTI: 27% --- AAoA: 5.5 years --- Income: $200k
Last app: 4-6-24
Message 27 of 100
Callandra
Valued Contributor

@Gunnar419 wrote:

@pannna wrote:

I think part of the reason is that there aren't any affiliate/click-and-my-site-gets-money links for it. I've never seen it mentioned on any of those credit "blogs." It's always the same cards and they aren't necessarily best. 

Quicksilver $10,000 | Better Balance Rewards $2000 | Sallie Mae $3500 | Freedom $3500

Last HP: 9/27/2015
Message 28 of 100
mitchblue
Valued Contributor

Just got Sallie appoved today over the phone. With my Amazon use it'll come in handy. CL is a bit low, $2500, But my Barclay rewards was low as well..anyway I can't wait until I get it. 

On a sidenote, that's some weird thing about Iowa. I guess they're not Hawkeye fans..

FICO® 8 Scores 821 FICO® 9 Equifax 826 (Updated 02-7-23)
Message 29 of 100
Anonymous
Not applicable

@mongstradamus wrote:

@Gunnar419 wrote:

@pannna wrote:

i think its not written about as much recently because everybody who wants it has it already 

Generally agreed. I don't see anything wrong with it either. I'm a new cardmember and I love it so far. I guess the only negatives I've heard overall are 1) Sallie Mae is an "evil" corporation and 2) Barclays is just a pain to deal with customer service wise. From what I've noticed there are the low caps, which aren't too bad unless your expenses are high. Of course, if your expenses are high for groceries, you'd probably want to be shopping at Costco or Sam's Club anyway, which don't give you 5% back with this card. Another thing that I've noticed is that the point redemption portal seems mediocre. I haven't redeemed anything yet so anyone else can chime in on their experiences, but from what I've seen you can only redeem for statement credit or Sallie Mae loan payoffs. Of course, that's more than enough to bargain for when you get a card that gives you 5% back on so much.

Message 30 of 100
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.