Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sallie Mae Customer Support is terrible

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sallie Mae Customer Support is terrible

I just got off the phone with Sallie Mae Card CS. Apparently they thought my card was a business card when getting off the line and thanking me for calling in??

Secondly, asked a question on how I know If I maxed out the 5% rewards category each month and was only given completely inaccurate information such as 4 points per dollar for a cash rewards credit card.......(does online tell me?) I am hoping the forum can help me much better than the overseas call center did as I could barely understand the rep, Thanks in advance!

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Kenny
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Sallie Mae Customer Support is terrible

You'll know you reached your limit by adding up your purchases? Also you can look at your purchase history and see when the 5% starts turning into 1% purchases. There's no single place to look for this type of data that I'm aware of.
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@KennyRS wrote:
You'll know you reached your limit by adding up your purchases? Also you can look at your purchase history and see when the 5% starts turning into 1% purchases. There's no single place to look for this type of data that I'm aware of.

So the reset date is the first of the month?

Message 3 of 7
Kenny
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

@KennyRS wrote:

So the reset date is the first of the month?

The reset is with a new statement.

Message 4 of 7
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

and was only given completely inaccurate information such as 4 points per dollar for a cash rewards credit card.......(

This is sort of common, and happens it a lot of cards.   Some issuers view it as 1 point on everything and 4 bonus points in the special categories (Citi and Chase for example), so when reps say 4 they mean the bonus 4.

Message 5 of 7
BluePoodle
Valued Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

and was only given completely inaccurate information such as 4 points per dollar for a cash rewards credit card.......(

This is sort of common, and happens it a lot of cards.   Some issuers view it as 1 point on everything and 4 bonus points in the special categories (Citi and Chase for example), so when reps say 4 they mean the bonus 4.

Yep, I just look at my 4% categories in my monthly spending list and add them up based on gas or groceries. I don't spend enough on amazon to worry about maxing it out.

CapOne $7500 | Discover $8500 | Amex ED $25K | Barclay SM $5700 | Chase Disney $500 | Chase Slate $5K | Target $3K | Hilton Amex $2K
Gardening Since 4/3/2017
Message 6 of 7
Ghoshida
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I just got off the phone with Sallie Mae Card CS. Apparently they thought my card was a business card when getting off the line and thanking me for calling in??

Secondly, asked a question on how I know If I maxed out the 5% rewards category each month and was only given completely inaccurate information such as 4 points per dollar for a cash rewards credit card.......(does online tell me?) I am hoping the forum can help me much better than the overseas call center did as I could barely understand the rep, Thanks in advance!

Hi ESB,

AFAIK there is no one standard way of figuring out if you've reached (or will reach) the $250 limit on groceries or gas. 

I use the following two methods:

1) In the Barclaycard site, you can see your transactions by category, under the "Spend Analyzer" section in "Activities and Statements". Select "Current Statement Cycle" and then the Category: Everyday Spending. Sadly both groceries and gas purchases are clubbed here, so you need to do a bit of manual addition. Only those purchases under Everyday Spending will be considered for additional 4% bonus points subject to $250 in each category. 

For books, it is a bit tricky: they come under merchandise. It is easier to spot them on the main transactions page. I'm assuming you won't purchase books often. 

2) Mint.com: It provides me with a quick summary of charges across credit cards, and I can easily find out how much I've spent in groceries or fuel or books. The coding is done by Visa/MC so it generally aligns well with what SMMC will see when giving bonus. 

If you go over the spending thresholds, you'll get 1% point, hence the "bonus 4%" under spend threshold. 

It is in fact 1 point per dollar, just that the 1 point (or bonus 4 points) can be converted into cash equivalent (but not cash itself). 

I believe this is to protect SMMC from customers claiming actual cash. They don't give actual cash: either use as statement credit / pay loan / transfer into UPromise. This is unlike say Discover, Chase Freedom, or Citi Dividend where it is in fact real cash transferred to your bank. 

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.