Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sallie Mae MC + Amazon Payments?

tag
CarbonCard
Established Contributor

Sallie Mae MC + Amazon Payments?

I read somewhere in the forums that Amazon purchases will count on Sallie Mae MC's as bookstore purchases. So I was thinking maybe use Amazon Payments and rack up 5% cash back! Smiley Very Happy

Has anyone done it before??

Starting Score: (1/15)TU: 690 EX: 690 EQ: 711
Current Score: (10/18) TU-8: 813 EX-8: 808 EQ: 797
Goal Score: (7/20) 800+ for all three bureaus

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: Sallie Mae MC + Amazon Payments?

@enxinas wrote:

I read somewhere in the forums that Amazon purchases will count on Sallie Mae MC's as bookstore purchases. So I was thinking maybe use Amazon Payments and rack up 5% cash back! Smiley Very Happy

Has anyone done it before??

At least on other cards, Amazon Payments reports as differently from Amazon

Message 2 of 9
enharu
Super Contributor

+1 to what longtimelurker said. Only actual products sold or fulfilled by amazon qualifies for the 5%. Amazon payments, amazon prime subscription payment, and certain digital purchases not including kindle, are sometimes classified as something else.

Some have reported that amazon fresh is classified as a grocery store, but not much data to prove this yet since rollout is limited to Washington and SoCal.
JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 3 of 9
CarbonCard
Established Contributor

Ohh ok thanks!

Message 4 of 9
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@enxinas wrote:

Ohh ok thanks!

Yes, I'm not aware of any great way of manufacturing spend on this card, because the limits are so low.  So while you could buy a $250 MC/Visa gift card at a supermarket, and cash it out at Walmart, that would gain you about $7 after fees, but you can do better spending the $250 on "real" groceries and make $12.50! 

And even if the $750 limit on bookstores can be exploited, it's probably not worth risking account closure for a max of $37.50 per month, the people with this card generally get it because it is a great match to their spending, and they want to keep it!

Message 5 of 9
Haroon
New Contributor

Why would you do that? Walmart counts as a grocery store for this card.
Message 6 of 9
YahComb
Established Contributor

@Haroon wrote:

regular walmarts usually don't have grocery store/supermarket mcc

EQ-736(08/14) TU-752(09/14)
Newest to Oldest
Barc Sallie Mae 6K | Citi TY Pref 4.5K | US Bank Cash+ 10K | Chase Freedom 11.7K | Disc It 10.5K | Amazon Store 2.5K | BOA Cash Rewards 10.5K |

Closed Cards: 4 Oldest: 3yrs AAOA: 2yrs
Message 7 of 9
CarbonCard
Established Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@enxinas wrote:

Ohh ok thanks!

Yes, I'm not aware of any great way of manufacturing spend on this card, because the limits are so low.  So while you could buy a $250 MC/Visa gift card at a supermarket, and cash it out at Walmart, that would gain you about $7 after fees, but you can do better spending the $250 on "real" groceries and make $12.50! 

And even if the $750 limit on bookstores can be exploited, it's probably not worth risking account closure for a max of $37.50 per month, the people with this card generally get it because it is a great match to their spending, and they want to keep it!

Actually, the reason I got the SM MC is because I will use it for gas and groceries. The amazon payments is more of an afterthought.

Message 8 of 9
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Haroon wrote:

Well, as I said, you wouldn't!    But in general, with a card with a much higher limit, or uncapped, this is the way to increase rewards.   I don't spend $5K on real groceries a month, but if my card and supermarket allows me to buy $5K in Visa/MC gift cards, I can cash these out at Walmart in various ways, and end up spending about $60 and get the rewards on $5K spend, which with a 5x card is $250.   And some are spending 5-10x that, every month, and that adds up!

But with this card, $250 a month cap is pretty low, and many will spend that on real groceries and so no temptation to do anything else.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.