Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sallie Mae Mastercard question:

tag
daybreakgonesXe
Valued Contributor

Re: Sallie Mae Mastercard question:

@KennyS2006 wrote:
General question regarding this card: (And sorry for popping up and old thread, HOWEVER, I don't like making new threads for the sake of one question. Smiley Wink)

Would this card have good chances of approval for someone who only has one Lane Bryant credit card, but has done really well with that and she has basically 0 inquiries across the board? I'm trying to help my friend, and she is so credit card phobic it isn't funny. I'm trying to get her to sign up for the best one, and I'm thinking that this one might be it for her. I don't know super details, but I'm assuming her aaoa might be good based on her student loans (she's paid them all off.) And she just has that one LB account.

Kenny,

Based on my readings around the forum, Barclay's doesn't seem picky about thin files compared to Chase and such, as long as you have some age to it! Sounds like with her student loans and one store card, she would have a good chance at approval, albeit potentially <$2k. Worse comes to absolute worst, she can always recon!

All the best to her!

Message 11 of 17
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

On just a single data point (such as LB card and SLs) it's not something that can gauge a good barometer to determine whether approval chances are high or not.  Unless someone chimes in and has a very similar profile (to the extend limited information was provided).

Message 12 of 17
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Not sure. but given the Barclays is said to be new account/inq sensitive, her lack of those might be just what they are looking for!

Message 13 of 17
Kenny
Moderator Emeritus

Yes, Fin, I know that's all of the details I had. I don't expect a decision to be given from any of the members on this forum as they aren't Barclay.. however, I do value some people's opinions on here and I thank everyone for participating in this question. I thought she had the good on her side with low to no inquiries, very good utilization, and hopefully some age to her accounts.. not sure. I will get her to apply.. hopefully it's an instant approval, because she's so cautious and doesn't want to push things too hard. I told her, you have GOT to get one this month no matter what.. as your friend and credit advisor you need one now. lol
Message 14 of 17
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@KennyS2006 wrote:
Yes, Fin, I know that's all of the details I had. I don't expect a decision to be given from any of the members on this forum as they aren't Barclay.. however, I do value some people's opinions on here and I thank everyone for participating in this question. I thought she had the good on her side with low to no inquiries, very good utilization, and hopefully some age to her accounts.. not sure. I will get her to apply.. hopefully it's an instant approval, because she's so cautious and doesn't want to push things too hard. I told her, you have GOT to get one this month no matter what.. as your friend and credit advisor you need one now. lol

I would say, if she wants to take the plunge, have her apply during the week (earlier part of the day I suppose).  This way, in the event it's not an instant decision, she has the option to reach an analyst later that day, since they're not open on weekends.

Message 15 of 17
ptilda
Established Contributor

Nice card! Definitely on my wish-list. Keep us posted

My Wallet:Fidelity Amex $1K, DCU $3.9K, US Bank AeroMexico $300, Quicksilver $1.3K, Cap1 secured MC $750, DiscoverIT $200, Care Credit $5K, Sportsman Guide Visa $3K, Kay $3K, Jared $3K,American Airlines CC $3K, Amazon $2.9k, Walmart $2.2k, Macy's $800 revolving/$5k furniture, Comenity retail cards $5.55kStarting Score: 618Current Score: 711
Message 16 of 17
Kenny
Moderator Emeritus

It's on mine, too.. however I've had too much activity lately on my CRs to even think about getting a Barclay card in the next 6 months.. It will be one of the ones I garden for though.

Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.