Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sallie Mae Mastercard

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Sallie Mae Mastercard

I really want this card too but I need to get my scores over 700 and let my inquiries fall off so itll probably be next year this time. 

Message 31 of 117
Anonymous
Not applicable

@dabrian wrote:

This is the next card I will be apping for probably in Feb or March of next year.  If I'm approved I will be saying goodbye to both Discover and possibly Amex.

It might be better to PC your BCP to BCE, which removes the annual fee. Then, you can keep the card SDed or use it only for the promotions. 

Message 32 of 117
sosabe77
Contributor

FYI:  I just applied for a 2nd Sallie Mae Mastercard to double reward caps (per VirtualCuriosity's advice in this post) and I got instantly approved for another one with a credit limit 2X my 1st one!  I'm actually surprised since they denied me a CLI on the 1st Sallie Mae Mastercard a little over 6 months ago.  Either way, time to double up on cashback! 

Top 3: Amex BCP 25k - Chase Sapphire 17.5k - PSECU 20K

Starting Score: 714
Current Score: 759
Goal Score: 800

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 33 of 117
Gunnar419
Valued Contributor

@sosabe77 wrote:

FYI:  I just applied for a 2nd Sallie Mae Mastercard to double reward caps (per VirtualCuriosity's advice in this post) and I got instantly approved for another one with a credit limit 2X my 1st one!  I'm actually surprised since they denied me a CLI on the 1st Sallie Mae Mastercard a little over 6 months ago.  Either way, time to double up on cashback! 

I'm with those who tried to app for a second Sallie Mae MC and got shut down because they only allow one card per person. During the recon call I did at least get a huge bump (more than 3X) in my CL.

One guess is that those who can get instant approvals online may have luck getting the second card but those of us who always have to go through identity verification with a human CSR (in my case because of a funky address) will be told no.

Message 34 of 117
sosabe77
Contributor

@Gunnar419 wrote:

@sosabe77 wrote:

I'm with those who tried to app for a second Sallie Mae MC and got shut down because they only allow one card per person. During the recon call I did at least get a huge bump (more than 3X) in my CL.

One guess is that those who can get instant approvals online may have luck getting the second card but those of us who always have to go through identity verification with a human CSR (in my case because of a funky address) will be told no.

Is the SMWM your only card with Barclays or do you have others?  It's my only one so maybe I had some leeway there in terms of exposure.

Top 3: Amex BCP 25k - Chase Sapphire 17.5k - PSECU 20K

Starting Score: 714
Current Score: 759
Goal Score: 800

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 35 of 117
uswala
Senior Contributor

@sosabe77 wrote:

Congrats!

Message 36 of 117
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just had to force myself to close the application. Sigh, must wait

Has anyone gotten the platinum version? I'm curious because pretty much everyone I've seen on this forum has the world mastercard but they say not everyone will qualify for it

Message 37 of 117
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have seen a few people mention on here that they only received the platinum version, but you're right that Barclays is pretty loose with the WMCs. I think they get higher swipe fees on WMCs so it is in their best interest to give out as many as possible. Heck, even I have one and my limit is only $1500, and even worse, I was initially denied for the card (I had to recon).

Message 38 of 117
Anonymous
Not applicable

I got a WMC with a SL of $1,500 and had a preapproved CLI upon receiving the card.
Message 39 of 117
dabrian
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@dabrian wrote:

This is the next card I will be apping for probably in Feb or March of next year.  If I'm approved I will be saying goodbye to both Discover and possibly Amex.

It might be better to PC your BCP to BCE, which removes the annual fee. Then, you can keep the card SDed or use it only for the promotions. 

yea that makes the most sense. Take advantage of the cash back offers along with the Small business Saturday promotion every year. Also may be getting a free experian score soon.

NFCU Sig Cash-20k/ Amex BCP-19.4k/ Amex Costco-1.2k/Chase Marriott-12k/CSP-13.4k/ Freedom-5.5k/ Discover IT-14k/NCSECU-5k/Walmart-10k/Lowes-25k
Message 40 of 117
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.