Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sallie Mae Mastercard

tag
Kostya1992
Established Contributor

Re: Sallie Mae Mastercard

I have the platinum version. Not really sure how I got approved - all I had on CR was 3 months of Cap1 reporting a $300 balance (with high util) and some AU accounts. Apparently I am real lucky.
TU08 FICO850
EX08 FICO850
EQ08 FICO850

Message 41 of 117
Gunnar419
Valued Contributor

@sosabe77 wrote:

@Gunnar419 wrote:

@sosabe77 wrote:

FYI:  I just applied for a 2nd Sallie Mae Mastercard to double reward caps (per VirtualCuriosity's advice in this post) and I got instantly approved for another one with a credit limit 2X my 1st one!  I'm actually surprised since they denied me a CLI on the 1st Sallie Mae Mastercard a little over 6 months ago.  Either way, time to double up on cashback! 

I'm with those who tried to app for a second Sallie Mae MC and got shut down because they only allow one card per person. During the recon call I did at least get a huge bump (more than 3X) in my CL.

One guess is that those who can get instant approvals online may have luck getting the second card but those of us who always have to go through identity verification with a human CSR (in my case because of a funky address) will be told no.

Is the SMWM your only card with Barclays or do you have others?  It's my only one so maybe I had some leeway there in terms of exposure.

The SM is my only card with Barclays.

To answer somebody else's question, I have the Platinum version. When I first got the card, I was approved for only $1,400 (due to having too much recent new credit), so I didn't qualify for the World. I'm surprised to hear that people got the WMC with initial CLs of $1,500! Now, with a CL of $8k and scores in the 790-815 range, I would probably qualify for World.  I have a couple of Visa Siggies and would like to add a World MC, but I haven't asked and I understand Barclays can be balky about upgrading an existing Plat. account to a World. So I'm just waiting.

Message 42 of 117
Anonymous
Not applicable

So apply for a 2nd SM.
Message 43 of 117
Themanwhocan
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I just had to force myself to close the application. Sigh, must wait

Has anyone gotten the platinum version? I'm curious because pretty much everyone I've seen on this forum has the world mastercard but they say not everyone will qualify for it

Yes, my first Sallie Mae is a Platinum at $1600, and the second is a World at $10,000. Before those, I had a priceline.com at $1500.

You can see what I applied for, when, and what the starting limits were, in this chart:

cards.png

TU-8: 804 EX-8: 805 EQ-8: 788 EX-98: 767 EQ-04: 752    
TU-9 Bankcard: 837 EQ-9: 823 EX-9 Bankcard: 837
Total $443,800
Message 44 of 117
VirtualCuriosity
Established Contributor

@Themanwhocan wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I just had to force myself to close the application. Sigh, must wait

Has anyone gotten the platinum version? I'm curious because pretty much everyone I've seen on this forum has the world mastercard but they say not everyone will qualify for it

Yes, my first Sallie Mae is a Platinum at $1600, and the second is a World at $10,000. Before those, I had a priceline.com at $1500.

You can see what I applied for, when, and what the starting limits were, in this chart:

cards.png

Ugggg.  Now I need to find out about this SM World card you speak of.  Smiley Happy

TU713, EQ 731 , EX 726 (As of 12/13/14) - Personal Goal = 760

“Beware of little expenses. A small leak will sink a great ship” – Benjamin Franklin

Gardening since 3-26-15

Message 45 of 117
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just applied, and after talking to on the phone was approved.

Perhaps they were lenient because I'm a student or is this card pretty easy to get?

Also, they only gave me a $500 limit but thats fine for little ol' me, I'm practically still in diapers.

Stats:

I'm 19 years old

733 FICO

715 Ck

$9000 Annual Income

Credit History is 1 year, 1 Month

My Cards: Discover IT ($1000), Amazon Store Card ($1100), AMEX BCE ($2000)

Message 46 of 117
Anonymous
Not applicable

Recon that limit, lol.
Message 47 of 117
blink182
Established Member

+++++ love this card +++++

Just got mine in the mail last week - $3,000 starting limit.

I have been seriously rebuilding my credit for 2 years.  Couldn't even get a Buckle card when I first started - now my credit score is 700+.  I had several recent inquires due to a new car purchase and an app spree about 30 days ago, but when my work stopped issuing fuel cards, I found this card while looking at the forum and decided it was worth an inquiry to get all of the perks including 5% on gas.

Wasn't sure if I would be approved or not because of how much of a stickler Barclays is for inquiries (and I was declined last year for a different card of theirs).  I still have one "baddie" on my CR.  They pulled TU and my score was 692 when they approved me!

Good luck!

Message 48 of 117
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@dapps06 wrote:

What are the credit requirements for this card?

Low recent inquiries, a decently clean credit file. If you don't have at least one of these, get ready to play phone tag with the recon department.

@Dw4250 wrote:
While this card is more geared toward students, it does have one of the best reward structures out there. Consequently Barclays has it as one of the more difficult cards to get.

At minimum, I'd say you should try to be ~ 700+ scores and have not too many recent INQS. But as always YMMV as everyone's credit profile is different.

I was approved with 683 TU FICO, 0 INQ's on TU...

After 4 recon attempts. Smiley Happy

@Anonymous wrote:

And yes, the Sallie Mae WMC is a godly card.

Indeed. I earned $55 in CB in the first month (Yes, $25 of it was the first use bonus)

Yeah, but Nix is THE MAN.  

Message 49 of 117
Anonymous
Not applicable

Instapproval?
Message 50 of 117
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.