Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sallie Mae Perception

tag
gh17
Frequent Contributor

Re: Sallie Mae Perception

Whenever we go out to lunch at work, we end up splitting the bill among like 10 Freedoms; it's kind of funny.

I don't usually buy groceries or gas with other people and I'm not usually looking in other people's wallets, so I have no idea if anyone I know has a Sallie Mae card.  Usually I notice others' cards when going out to eat, and I see a lot of Chase Freedom and Citi Thank You cards.

Before I was very active on this forum, I was always getting ads for the Sallie Mae card on the Sallie Mae student loan website, so I did know about the card and had considered getting it.

But Barclays isn't a bank I had ever heard of.  I imagine a lot of people looking for credit cards search the major banks, and I wouldn't consider Barclays one of them.

BofA Cash Rewards 25,000 (2009) | Citi Double Cash 25,000 (2011) | Cap1 Quicksilver 10,000 (2013) | Discover It 31,000 (2014) | Chase Freedom 9000 (2014) | Barclaycard Rewards 25,000 (2014)

FICO: 840 Discover/Barclays/BofA TU, 869 Citi Equifax
Message 21 of 45
bigblue7722
Valued Contributor

@gh17 wrote:

Whenever we go out to lunch at work, we end up splitting the bill among like 10 Freedoms; it's kind of funny.

I don't usually buy groceries or gas with other people and I'm not usually looking in other people's wallets, so I have no idea if anyone I know has a Sallie Mae card.  Usually I notice others' cards when going out to eat, and I see a lot of Chase Freedom and Citi Thank You cards.

Before I was very active on this forum, I was always getting ads for the Sallie Mae card on the Sallie Mae student loan website, so I did know about the card and had considered getting it.

But Barclays isn't a bank I had ever heard of.  I imagine a lot of people looking for credit cards search the major banks, and I wouldn't consider Barclays one of them.

I agree. I bet if you asked 100 people 25 would know about barclaycard maybe even less. 

AMEX PRG NPSL,Lowes $17000,Capital One venture card $12,000,Us Airways mastercard $9500,Fidelity Amex $9000, Discover it $8000, Capital One Venture One $7500, BOA 123 rewards $7500 CSP $6000, Capital One Quicksliver $5500, Amazon Store card$5000,Barclay
Card Ring $5000 Chase Marriott $5000,Chase Hyatt $5000, Sallie Mae Mastercard $4400, Paypal smart connect $4000,Chase Freedom $3200, Capital one Quicksliver visa $3000, Chase IHG Rewards $2300, Chase Southwest Premier $2000, Citi Double Cash $1500, AMEX BCE $1000

Last app July 22nd 2015- No apps for two years.
Message 22 of 45
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@bigblue7722 wrote:

@gh17 wrote:

I agree. I bet if you asked 100 people 25 would know about barclaycard maybe even less. 

Right, certainly not yet in the US.  Of course in the UK, probably the first bank they think of.   Eventually the mega-international banks get better known here, HSBC, Santendar and Barclays becoming part of the US mix.

Message 23 of 45
TitaniumCash
Regular Contributor

The only reason I knew about the card was from my student loans with Sallie Mae. Everytime you log on to pay, there's an ad to the side or top inviting you to apply for the card. Otherwise, I would have no idea of its existence outside. Second time I see it often is here.

Message 24 of 45
Themanwhocan
Senior Contributor

@bigblue7722 wrote:

@gh17 wrote:

That wouldn't matter to me. If Redneck Bank offered a card with 5% cash back on Drugstores, i would apply before I finished typing this sentence...

http://redneckbank.com/

TU-8: 804 EX-8: 805 EQ-8: 788 EX-98: 767 EQ-04: 752    
TU-9 Bankcard: 837 EQ-9: 823 EX-9 Bankcard: 837
Total $443,800
Message 25 of 45
juggalo9er
Valued Contributor

i want to be known as the hippie that does ms on a qs card.....

Message 26 of 45
Bman70
Established Contributor

@Themanwhocan wrote:

@bigblue7722 wrote:

@gh17 wrote:

That wouldn't matter to me. If Redneck Bank offered a card with 5% cash back on Drugstores, i would apply before I finished typing this sentence...

Heck, I'd apply to them if they offered 2%! lol

EX 822
TU 834
EQ 820

Message 27 of 45
juggalo9er
Valued Contributor

so the upromise card is a ninja assasin card?

Message 28 of 45
PandiferBear
Frequent Contributor

@Themanwhocan wrote:

@bigblue7722 wrote:

@gh17 wrote:

***mindblown****  Wow.  That is a website.

EX 793 (06/29/16) TU 787 (07/03/16) EQ 711 (06/30/16) Goal: 780 across the board
Amex Everyday: $25,000 | Venture: $15,000 | Chase Hyatt: $12,000 | Discover IT: $11,700 | Barclay Ring $7,500 | Quicksilver: $7,750 | CareCredit: $5,000 | Amazon Synch: $5,000
Message 29 of 45
Themanwhocan
Senior Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@bigblue7722 wrote:

@gh17 wrote:

Right, certainly not yet in the US.  Of course in the UK, probably the first bank they think of.   Eventually the mega-international banks get better known here, HSBC, Santendar and Barclays becoming part of the US mix.

Its actually Santander...

TU-8: 804 EX-8: 805 EQ-8: 788 EX-98: 767 EQ-04: 752    
TU-9 Bankcard: 837 EQ-9: 823 EX-9 Bankcard: 837
Total $443,800
Message 30 of 45
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.