cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sallie Mae + UPromise= actual cash back?

tag
Ghoshida
Valued Contributor

Re: Sallie Mae + UPromise= actual cash back?

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
Was talking to my colleague about all things credit when he suggested that I get the Salie Mae (I already voiced my opinion about this card to him and this forum). He goes on to tell me about the 5% on gas groceries and books, which I already knew about. But he then goes ons to tell me that you can actually deposit your cash back point into a UPromise account and then turn you points into the cash amount and they'll send you an actual check for that amount. Now this I didn't know about. He told me that every quarter he turns his point into actual cash and not just statement credits and gift cards etc. He told the cash back is aliterally money in the bank. I'm curious if other members on the forum are using their point like this as well.

I know some (OK, one!) other person makes this distinction, but for a card you use regularly, and the bonus categories of the SM mean that is fairly easy, there is almost no difference between a statement credit and money in the bank.   It's only those cards that you might not use for months on end (or ever again) where you don't want a statement credit.   

You referring to me? 

I personally do it because (a) I like the sound of the 10% annual bonus (like the one that Chase Freedom is withdrawing) and (b) I like to think of it as real savings put in a savings account. Somehow, getting a statement credit and translating that into pure savings seems perfect in theory, but doesn't happen in practice !

Rational economics vs. behavioral economics Smiley Happy

Message 11 of 15
kdm31091
Super Contributor

@Ghoshida wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
Was talking to my colleague about all things credit when he suggested that I get the Salie Mae (I already voiced my opinion about this card to him and this forum). He goes on to tell me about the 5% on gas groceries and books, which I already knew about. But he then goes ons to tell me that you can actually deposit your cash back point into a UPromise account and then turn you points into the cash amount and they'll send you an actual check for that amount. Now this I didn't know about. He told me that every quarter he turns his point into actual cash and not just statement credits and gift cards etc. He told the cash back is aliterally money in the bank. I'm curious if other members on the forum are using their point like this as well.

I know some (OK, one!) other person makes this distinction, but for a card you use regularly, and the bonus categories of the SM mean that is fairly easy, there is almost no difference between a statement credit and money in the bank.   It's only those cards that you might not use for months on end (or ever again) where you don't want a statement credit.   

You referring to me? 

I personally do it because (a) I like the sound of the 10% annual bonus (like the one that Chase Freedom is withdrawing) and (b) I like to think of it as real savings put in a savings account. Somehow, getting a statement credit and translating that into pure savings seems perfect in theory, but doesn't happen in practice !

Rational economics vs. behavioral economics Smiley Happy

Exactly. The difference between statement credit and cash may seem like nothing, but it is truly a behavior and psychology thing.

Message 12 of 15
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Ghoshida wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

You referring to me? 

AS it happens, no  (didn't know your opinion)  I was thinking of KDM who has explained his dislike of limited redemption choices in other threads

Message 13 of 15
Ghoshida
Valued Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Ghoshida wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

You referring to me? 

AS it happens, no  (didn't know your opinion)  I was thinking of KDM who has explained his dislike of limited redemption choices in other threads

Ah, ok. I personally like the "money-in-the-bank" option, as previously stated Smiley Happy

Message 14 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I wasn't aware of a check option for UPromise, but you can certainly open a savings account and have your UPromise earnings swept into the savings account, so that is literally money in the bank. Then you can ACH that money out to any bank account you want. While the SallieMae->UPromise->savings transfer takes a while, it does have the advantage of an additional 10% bonus on all swept funds at the end of the year.

I'm curious how you don't see a statement credit as "money in the bank." Presuming you're PIF, then the statement credit (which are instantanous, BTW) will just reduce how much comes out of your checking account on the next payment. Isn't that just as good as getting a check? Of course, that presumes continued use of the card. But even if you ended up with a credit balance on the SM, you could just call customer service and have them refund your credit balance and there's your check.

Chris.

Off topic...

You have 37 cards....holy carp...

Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.