Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sallie Mae UPromise

tag
TheFate
Established Contributor

Sallie Mae UPromise

I'm trying to google or search on their site to get an average approved score but not seeing anything.

Do you need stellar credit for this card? Can you be graduated from the MC if choosing to go that route first?

Sallie Mae Upromise seems like an awesome card that would work around my spending 

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
CreditUnionFan
Valued Contributor

Re: Sallie Mae UPromise

@TheFate wrote:

I'm trying to google or search on their site to get an average approved score but not seeing anything.

Do you need stellar credit for this card? Can you be graduated from the MC if choosing to go that route first?

Sallie Mae Upromise seems like an awesome card that would work around my spending 

I don't know what their threshold is, but if you don't have many TU inquiries, the best way to find out is to apply and see what their response is.

If its the Upromise MC you seek, unless you've gotten feedback from Barclaycard (this card's issuer) on another application, then just go ahead and apply for the card you want. If you PC (product conversion) from another Barclay card, you usually lose out on any new card bonus.

Remember that it's not just based on score, but also includes other factors, such as Debt:Income ratios.

I was going to garden... Honest!
Message 2 of 7
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@TheFate wrote:

Google credit pull database and enter in the card could give you better idea of what scores got approved?

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 3 of 7
PlasticOrPlastic
Established Contributor

Seems like Barclays has been cutting way back on PC's.  It was no problem last year but now it seems they deny my request everytime so that could be a gamble.  I was just approved for the Sallie Mae card, I have two other Barclay Cards (Arrival & Rewards Visa).  I had about 21 INQ's on TU, a BK7 reporting from 2011, 17% UTIL and AAoA of about 3 years.  It was an instant approval. Depending on your profile and income I dont think you'd have any issue getting a UPromise. 

Message 4 of 7
TheFate
Established Contributor

Yea at first I just couldn't decide wheither I wanted the Sallie Mae MC or the Sallie Mae Upromise.

With my spending habits combined with the other new rewards cards I'm applying for the Upromise just made more sense. I dont see much people on here with the Upromise so it made me wonder if they were strict on reports.

Message 5 of 7
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@TheFate wrote:

Yea at first I just couldn't decide wheither I wanted the Sallie Mae MC or the Sallie Mae Upromise.

With my spending habits combined with the other new rewards cards I'm applying for the Upromise just made more sense. I dont see much people on here with the Upromise so it made me wonder if they were strict on reports.

I think the lack of people on here is nothing to do with relative difficulty, just reflects the publicity (here) that Sallie Mae MC gets.  Until someone started talking about it last year, I think most of hadn't heard about the Sallie Mae MC, now every other post!    Maybe now it is UPromise's turn....

Also, the Mastercard is very easy to understand benefits wise, 5% on gas, groceries and Amazon.   UPromise is a little less clear, great percentages when shopping online at a set of stores.....

Message 6 of 7
TheFate
Established Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@TheFate wrote:

I think the lack of people on here is nothing to do with relative difficulty, just reflects the publicity (here) that Sallie Mae MC gets.  Until someone started talking about it last year, I think most of hadn't heard about the Sallie Mae MC, now every other post!    Maybe now it is UPromise's turn....

Also, the Mastercard is very easy to understand benefits wise, 5% on gas, groceries and Amazon.   UPromise is a little less clear, great percentages when shopping online at a set of stores.....

That's very true as I also never heard of Sallie Mae untill I joined this site

Don't get me wrong, the Sallie Mae MC is a great card... But combining my monthly spending and configuring which Cards to app for.. Chase Freedom and Upromise seemed like a deadly combination together... If I just go for the Sallie Mae MC it limits the Chase Freedom and shorts myself out of Reward cash. 

I've also heard purchasing thru Upromise site can rack you up 10-12% back depending what you're purchasing

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.