Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sallie Mae World Mastercard VS Citi Forward

tag
Giovanni24

Sallie Mae World Mastercard VS Citi Forward

Hey guys,

I am currently using Citi Forward for my Amazon purchases. Just found out about the Sallie Mae World Mastercard. Currently with Citi Foward think I have to actually cash out the points for gift cards to get the best bang for my buck, whereas with Sallie Mae's MC it would be statement credit, thus a true 5% cash back. Is there any reason I shouldn't get the Sallie Mae card?

-Gio

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
enharu
Super Contributor

Re: Sallie Mae World Mastercard VS Citi Forward

@Giovanni24 wrote:

Hey guys,

I am currently using Citi Forward for my Amazon purchases. Just found out about the Sallie Mae World Mastercard. Currently with Citi Foward think I have to actually cash out the points for gift cards to get the best bang for my buck, whereas with Sallie Mae's MC it would be statement credit, thus a true 5% cash back. Is there any reason I shouldn't get the Sallie Mae card?

-Gio

The sallie mae card is capped at $250 for gas & groceries each, $750 for bookstores (amazon). The forward isn't.

The forward TY points can be redeemed towards your mortgage and student loans, which gives it a 1ccp value.

Simply because of the cap, I think the forward is a better card. Then again, if your spending is below the spending cap, then the sallie mae card probably will work out for you as well.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 2 of 3
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: Sallie Mae World Mastercard VS Citi Forward

@Giovanni24 wrote:

Hey guys,

-Gio

The major differences between the cards, apart from redemption possibilities:

1) SM covers gas and groceries (up to $250 per month each) and bookstores up to $750 per month

2) Citi covers entertainment (including dining, movies, books/amazon) and is uncapped.

So if you had to choose one, it would depend on where you spend and how much.   But as you already have the Forward, having both gives good coverage, and you could use SM for the first $750 per month at amazon (which might well be all of it!) and get cash back, and use Forward for the other things it covers.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.