Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sallie Mae-day

tag
PrimeRate
Frequent Contributor

Sallie Mae-day

So I know everyone is bashing Barclays and claiming they are contributing to the end of the world(see SM & Arrival nerf threads), but I figured I'd tell a story showcasing them in a different light. I called in today following the step by step APR reduction to SP CLI path others here have paved the way for(a path that has worked for me many a time!). While doing so I spoke to a terrific rep named Jane who not only dropped my Sallie Mae Platinum(should probably be a WORLD by now, but I'm not complaining,  the plat/world diff helps me know which card has reward spend left) APR from 13.99% to 7.99%, but also gave my CL a bump from 20.5k to 24.5k

I've been able to grow this card from 7.5k to 24.5k over the course of just under 2 years via AUTO & SP CLI requests. While you certainly can't fall in love with everything Barclays does, they do have measures in line that treat customers who treat them right, RIGHT. And for that I applaud!

Tomorrow I'll be calling to see if I can get my Sallie Mae World APR dropped from 9.99% to something under 7.99% and see if they'll give me an SP CLI from 26.8k to 30.8k. If approved, I will then demand an $800 CLD lol.

When it comes to these big banks, keep shaking the trees, coconuts will eventually fall.... And they're delicious!

☮ & ❤
Message 1 of 38
37 REPLIES 37
mitchblue
Valued Contributor

Re: Sallie Mae-day

I believe only a small % of people are bashing Barclay. As far as SM, most just concerned on whether their rewards will remain.

FICO® 8 Scores 821 FICO® 9 Equifax 826 (Updated 02-7-23)
Message 2 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

PrimeRate - thanks for the heads up! Great info. Called and received a 1% decrease in my Apr bringing it to 12.99% Smiley Happy No CLI with out HP and I declined. Did inquire about the future of the Barclays Sallie Mae Master Card and the credit advisor told me it was not nerfed but they were NOT accepting anymore applications at this time and they were not looking to close the existing card base or move us to other cards (I pretended to feel out other card options).

Message 3 of 38
UncleB
Credit Mentor

Even though I never got to get one, I have nothing but love for the Sallie Mae!

I tried to get on the train back in July, but I have an old (really old) CO from a Juniper Bank account that went to Barclays right before it was CO'd.  What 'luck', eh?

That being said, in one of the previous threads it was mentioned by someone that Sallie Mae was changing to a different lender... does anybody know if there is any information on this, or if it was just speculation? 

I know Barclays has been good to many people, but if Sallie does re-emerge with a different lender this whole 'kerfuffel' could be a blessing in disguise (at least for some of us...)  Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 38
SpiceIslander
Frequent Contributor

Great news! Thanks for sharing. I'm enjoying my Sallie Mae card. The cash adds up really fast!

Congrats on the rate reduction & CLI!

Meg.

FICO: 4/2016 - TU 841 | EQ 840 | EX 837

FNBO 23,600 | Amex SPG 13,900 | Amex BCP 13,400 | Barclays/Sallie Mae13,000 | Discover IT 12,500 | Lowes 10,000 | PLOC 9,300 | NASA FCU 8,700 | Citi Simplicity 6,200 | BOA Platinum+ 6,000 | Achieva CU 5,500 | Chase CSP 5,000 | Sam's Club 3,000 | Sears 900
Message 5 of 38
H14
Contributor

Also of note, the Sallie Mae card is now chip and pin enabled too. My card was reissued and the new one came with instructions to set the pin up. It noted the pin would need to be activated first with a cashier before it can be used at kiosks and terminals, as expected. And it will default to chip and sig normally. 

Message 6 of 38
galahad15
Valued Contributor

Congrats!  Smiley Happy

Message 7 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats on your SP CLI and APR reduction!!! Thank you for sharing your story! It's always nice to read positive things about creditors. Smiley Happy

Message 8 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

@UncleB wrote:

I tried to get on the train back in July, but I have an old (really old) CO from a Juniper Bank account that went to Barclays right before it was CO'd.  What 'luck', eh?

That being said, in one of the previous threads it was mentioned by someone that Sallie Mae was changing to a different lender... does anybody know if there is any information on this, or if it was just speculation? 

I know Barclays has been good to many people, but if Sallie does re-emerge with a different lender this whole 'kerfuffel' could be a blessing in disguise (at least for some of us...)  Smiley Happy

Uncle B you always have something positive to say. Heart I love your glass 1/2 full philosophy!

Message 9 of 38
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@beautifulblaquepearl wrote:

@UncleB wrote:

Uncle B you always have something positive to say. Heart I love your glass 1/2 full philosophy!

Thank you for your kind words! 

I guess I figure there's enough negativity around, so I try to find the 'silver lining' whenever I can. 

Sometimes the 'silver lining' can be elusive, but I usually like a challenge!   Smiley Very Happy

Message 10 of 38
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.