Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sallie Mae-day

tag
joshkm
New Contributor

Re: Sallie Mae-day

I've never had a reason to call Barclay's before until the other day to recon. The analyst I spoke to on the backdoor number was very friendly and helpful at approving me for my 2nd Sallie Mae WMC. I have nothing but good things to say until they decide some day to slash the rewards.

Message 11 of 38
lenz99
New Contributor

What happened to the old Priceline 2% VISA? did Barclays grandfathered the rewards system?

Message 12 of 38
TiggerDat
Valued Contributor

WOW, nice APR! 

It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.....
Always follow these rules: Only take a HP for a new account. Always use the best rewards card for that reward category. Don't close a card unless you know you really should. Never use more than 35% of a credit limit. Recon as much and as best you can. Use the introductory period to the best advantage. Get the signup bonus. Whenever possible PIF or balance transfer so you pay less in interest. Never give an excellent rating when it is actually the norm. Always look for a discount as more is always better.
Always accept candy from strangers because they have the best candy or from people you know have good candy.
Message 13 of 38
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@lenz99 wrote:

What happened to the old Priceline 2% VISA? did Barclays grandfathered the rewards system?

Yes

Message 14 of 38
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@joshkm wrote:

I've never had a reason to call Barclay's before until the other day to recon. The analyst I spoke to on the backdoor number was very friendly and helpful at approving me for my 2nd Sallie Mae WMC. I have nothing but good things to say until they decide some day to slash the rewards.

So you were able to get a second on manual review?   Wisdom here is that the 2nd had to be automated approval.  Guess not!

Message 15 of 38
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

@lenz99 wrote:

yes for ppl that had the 2% version they were grandfathered

Message 16 of 38
Open123
Super Contributor

@PrimeRate wrote:

So I know everyone is bashing Barclays and claiming they are contributing to the end of the world(see SM & Arrival nerf threads), but I figured I'd tell a story showcasing them in a different light. I called in today following the step by step APR reduction to SP CLI path others here have paved the way for(a path that has worked for me many a time!). While doing so I spoke to a terrific rep named Jane who not only dropped my Sallie Mae Platinum(should probably be a WORLD by now, but I'm not complaining,  the plat/world diff helps me know which card has reward spend left) APR from 13.99% to 7.99%, but also gave my CL a bump from 20.5k to 24.5k

Admittedly, reading all the negative press regarding Barclays propensity for AA was alarming, and was likely the reason I had some bias against them.  Usually, I'm not prone to take much need on negative or positive press, but I did this time, given the sheer amount of datapoints shared.

After several years, I'd have to say that I agree with you.  Barclays has been great.  

Message 17 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've got 12k available with them, but couldn't convert anything to sm. Im still torn, but not any Barclays. I will be anti Barclays if they become anti me.
Message 18 of 38
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@PrimeRate wrote:

So I know everyone is bashing Barclays and claiming they are contributing to the end of the world(see SM & Arrival nerf threads), but I figured I'd tell a story showcasing them in a different light. 

The real end-of-the-world stories concern Barclays as a psuedo-criminal organization, with their major role in LIBOR fixing and many other manipulations that they have been (criminally) prosecuted for in the US and UK.   (e.g. most recently http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/banksandfinance/11619188/Barclays-handed-biggest-ban...  Are they worse than other big bank?  Maybe.

But for consumers their US credit card division can be good...

Message 19 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

The best serial killers stop at stop signs when traveling.
Message 20 of 38
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.