tag
longtime_lurker
Valued Contributor

Re: Sallie Mae...interesting Coding and points

@longtimelurker wrote:

@longtime_lurker wrote:

@pizza1 wrote:

@longtime_lurker wrote:

What are the bonus categories for the rewards card? I assume barclays. I know it's 2x utilities..what else?

yes Barclays rewards MC...2x on gas, groceries, and utilites

Okay, they're both MC's ....I'd have assumed the MCC's would be the same (and that the same bank would classify the MCC's as the same for all of their products)

....really weird. Maybe because SM is WMC?

I dunno, I'd call their rewards department and see what they say for giggles.

People have reported different REGISTERS using differnet MCCs at some large stores, especially with pharmacy sections etc.   So the ideal test is to go to one register and make two purchases, one with each card.   Or just use Target!

That's really odd....does a store pay for having multiple MCC's? If so, is it them just playing darts with their setups to try and minimize swipe fees?

Or is it U-Scans are coded differently than regular registers, and the registers at the pharmacy would be coded differently as well?

Current cards: MSUFCU Platinum, Amex PRG, Amex Surpass, Amex BCE, Citi Prestige, Citi Double Cash, Citi Premier, US Bank Cash +, Huntington Voice, AAviator, Sallie Mae, Discover IT, Chase Freedom TU:753 EQ Enhanced: 758
Message 11 of 42
Anonymous
Not applicable

Damn coding... I have some "shopping" to do at my local target to fulfill my Sallie Mae Spend bonus. Guess I'll be calling around to see what the MCC is...

Message 12 of 42
Anonymous
Not applicable

All the Walmarts around here count as 5% for me and show up as "GROCERY STORES, SUPERMARKETS", even in the various departments where you can pay.

Message 13 of 42
longtime_lurker
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Damn coding... I have some "shopping" to do at my local target to fulfill my Sallie Mae Spend bonus. Guess I'll be calling around to see what the MCC is...

I doubt they'll know. Some minimum wage worker or high school student is going to answer the phone, and you'll FEEL the blank stare over the phone line as it cracks in silence.

Current cards: MSUFCU Platinum, Amex PRG, Amex Surpass, Amex BCE, Citi Prestige, Citi Double Cash, Citi Premier, US Bank Cash +, Huntington Voice, AAviator, Sallie Mae, Discover IT, Chase Freedom TU:753 EQ Enhanced: 758
Message 14 of 42
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was going to start a thread the other day and didn't. OR maybe I mentioned it in the garden club. I made a small purchase at Target with my SM to see how it'll code. It'll be easier to not use my Target card if I can get the same 5% with SM that I'll be using on a regular basis for gas and for some groceries. I figure I'll try the BCP too. 

It hasn't worked it's way through my account yet enough to tell, but I'm guessing from what I see posted that it'll be easy enough to tell what the % was on each purchase. Will that be after a statement or before? 

Message 15 of 42
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I was going to start a thread the other day and didn't. OR maybe I mentioned it in the garden club. I made a small purchase at Target with my SM to see how it'll code. It'll be easier to not use my Target card if I can get the same 5% with SM that I'll be using on a regular basis for gas and for some groceries. I figure I'll try the BCP too. 

It hasn't worked it's way through my account yet enough to tell, but I'm guessing from what I see posted that it'll be easy enough to tell what the % was on each purchase. Will that be after a statement or before? 

You can go online right now and see in your account. Click on your middle box that tells you how many transactions you have, and scroll down the list of transactions, and then look to the right of it...it will say how many points your earned for that purchse. click on "target", and you can also see how it codes out.

Message 16 of 42
Anonymous
Not applicable

@pizza1 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

You can go online right now and see in your account. Click on your middle box that tells you how many transactions you have, and scroll down the list of transactions, and then look to the right of it...it will say how many points your earned for that purchse. click on "target", and you can also see how it codes out.

Thanks! I kept going under rewards. 

Target - Grocery Store, Supermarket YAY! 

Also, I guess there was some kind of a first-purchase bonus that I hadn't realized. On the first gas purchase of $36.33 I got 2681 points. 

ETA: "You will earn 2,500 bonus points which may be redeemed for a $25 cash back statement credit when you use your card within 90 days of account opening" Woo hoo.

Message 17 of 42
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@pizza1 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks! I kept going under rewards. 

Target - Grocery Store, Supermarket YAY! 

Also, I guess there was some kind of a first-purchase bonus that I hadn't realized. On the first gas purchase of $36.33 I got 2681 points. 

ETA: "You will earn 2,500 bonus points which may be redeemed for a $25 cash back statement credit when you use your card within 90 days of account opening" Woo hoo.

Thats awesome you found it now!!  I got my 2500 pts too on my first purchase of $8.75....pts..2500 LOL

Message 18 of 42
Anonymous
Not applicable

@pizza1 wrote:

Looking over my transactions for the 4th time today like a freak, LOL...I notice  on my SM card the following:

Walmart-  $96.90.............pts 97

"discount store"

Target-  $ 88.67...............pts 444

"grocery store;supermarket"

so I got face value pts at walmart, but 5x at Target.???  ..mmmmm, wonder where ll be contiuing to shop?? LOL.

Does your Walmart have a grocery/produce etc section? Both my local Target and Walmar have grocery section and I get 5% at both of them with my SM.

Message 19 of 42
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@pizza1 wrote:

Looking over my transactions for the 4th time today like a freak, LOL...I notice  on my SM card the following:

Walmart-  $96.90.............pts 97

"discount store"

Target-  $ 88.67...............pts 444

"grocery store;supermarket"

so I got face value pts at walmart, but 5x at Target.???  ..mmmmm, wonder where ll be contiuing to shop?? LOL.

Does your Walmart have a grocery/produce etc section? Both my local Target and Walmar have grocery section and I get 5% at both of them with my SM.

yep...they are both SUPER stores...

Message 20 of 42
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.