Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sallie Mae's 5% Question

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Sallie Mae's 5% Question

This may not help you, but Discover It gives 5% cash back on Walmart online purchases if you just go through Discover Deals.  I've been using that lately with both Walmart and Sams Club and it has been great.  It takes about 8 weeks to get the 5% so I have yet to see if they credit it to your account swiftly.  Sorry if this is way off topic, but getting 5% cashback at Walmart seems like the white whale of rewards seekers so this has been my way of harpooning the beast. 

Message 31 of 36
Turbobuick
Established Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

So like the gas station that has a boardshead deli.. surely this would be 5% right.. if I buy my
gas there and breakfast sandwhich there?

There is no intelligence in the system, it depends on how the merchant is coded.   I've been at a gas station that turned out to be coded as "Auto Repairs" thus losing the gas discount (and in this case the Amex Sync offer for BP).    So it's likely, but until you make a purchase there, no-one can tell.

One of the least helpful pieces of advice I got from Amex after inquiring about the BP thing:  "It's a good idea to ask the clerk how the merchant is coded."   Good luck with that in many cases!

.....  and I found the opposite when I took a car to a smog station. It coded as a gas station and gave an unexpected bonus rebate. Who knew you didn't need gas pumps to be a gas station? No rhyme - no reason to the coding.

Message 32 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

Smog station? What is that?

has anyone found similar in non gas - gas stations?

I wonder stations with car washes give the bonues. Thoughts?

Message 33 of 36
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

An inspection station.  In many areas emissions testing is included in the inspection.

@Anonymous wrote:

As stated above, all depends on how they're coded.  It may be possible that some are coded as such.  Quite a few around here actually do provide fuel as well.

Message 34 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

graath it doesn't take 8 weeks, at least not for me. Been using Discover for 5% back with online Wal-Mart purchases since October. More convenient than SM, if I don't have to physically step into a Wal-Mart store I'll avoid it. Smiley Tongue I always get an email within a couple days detailing how much cash back I'll receive for that purchase and its credited whenever my statement closes.
Message 35 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

@takeshi74 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

An inspection station.  In many areas emissions testing is included in the inspection.

@Anonymous wrote:

As stated above, all depends on how they're coded.  It may be possible that some are coded as such.  Quite a few around here actually do provide fuel as well.

has anyone been to one of those mobils with a carwash and gotten the 5% for the carwash or the total gas + Car wash bill?

Message 36 of 36
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.