Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sallie Mae starting limits

tag
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Sallie Mae starting limits

OP, I have merged your 2 threads on the SM together, please refrain from starting nearly/or identical threads on the same topic in the future, it leads to confusion by the members. I thank you in advance for your understanding on this. Have a great day Smiley Happy

My first SM card:  3K; second SM 10K.

Message 21 of 44
happypill
Valued Contributor

Mine started at $1k and I got a soft pull CLI for $200 about 4 months later.  For me, it is enough because I don't usually hit the $250 caps for gas or groceries and I have an Amazon store card that also offers 5%.

Rather than a higher limit, I think the strategy that some have of getting a second Sallie Mae makes a lot more sense.  The rewards are spectacular, but this just isn't a card to put general spend on, so once you cap out the 5% categories, it's better to use another card.

Obviously, if you don't PIF then you might need higher limits to continue maxing out the reward categories, but if you carry any balance at all (on this card or any other), rewards probably shouldn't be a priority.

Message 22 of 44
oracles
Valued Contributor

@gdale6 wrote:

OP, I have merged your 2 threads on the SM together, please refrain from starting nearly/or identical threads on the same topic in the future, it leads to confusion by the members. I thank you in advance for your understanding on this. Have a great day Smiley Happy

Thank you for do this, I was trying to figure out how to merge lol and appreciate the response 

Message 23 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

My starting limit was $2K. I had to recon and close an old Barclay card and transfer the limit. That was with a TU Fico score of 800, and over five years of perfect payment record with them.

Message 24 of 44
Saleen099
Senior Contributor

@gdale6 wrote:

How did you manage to get two and yes I know you had to apply. Hahaha 

Message 25 of 44
kdm31091
Super Contributor

@Saleen099 wrote:

@gdale6 wrote:

What it boils down to is that if your second Sallie app is instantly approved (i.e. no recon), you can have two because the automated system doesn't apparently check for a duplicate account.

If you have to recon and human eyes see you have another Sallie already...you're declined. You are not officially allowed to have two, but you can bypass it with an instant approval (in some cases, anyway). YMMV.

Message 26 of 44
Man-Of-Steel
Established Contributor

OP, regarding the starting limits:  If you haven't already, I recommend that you go to the Credit Card Approvals sub-forum and search for "Sallie Mae" or "SM".  You will get a ton of hits, as people like to share their success when they get approved for this card.

My SL was $5K last October and that is where it sits today.  That's plenty for my usage with this card.  Good luck.

Message 27 of 44
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

@kdm31091 wrote:

@Saleen099 wrote:

@gdale6 wrote:

What it boils down to is that if your second Sallie app is instantly approved (i.e. no recon), you can have two because the automated system doesn't apparently check for a duplicate account.

If you have to recon and human eyes see you have another Sallie already...you're declined. You are not officially allowed to have two, but you can bypass it with an instant approval (in some cases, anyway). YMMV.

What he said..  With that said you can move limits around with them if you have 2 SM's and the analysts don't care if you can get by the initial hurdle of an instant approvalSmiley Happy..  

To add upon this your really don't need say a bigger CL than 5k as the caps are so low. With your scores and your rewards CL you currently have I don't see getting at least 5k being an issue with you, if it is you can move a bit of your limits from the rewards to SM to make it whatever you would like although no need for a high CL on this card

Message 28 of 44
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

@kdm31091 wrote:

@Saleen099 wrote:

@gdale6 wrote:

What he said..  With that said you can move limits around with them if you have 2 SM's and the analysts don't care if you can get by the initial hurdle of an instant approvalSmiley Happy..  

To add upon this your really don't need say a bigger CL than 5k as the caps are so low. With your scores and your rewards CL you currently have I don't see getting at least 5k being an issue with you, if it is you can move a bit of your limits from the rewards to SM to make it whatever you would like although no need for a high CL on this card

Yup, both mine were instant approvals. There is another thing that may influence the computers auto approval of the second SM card and that is typically the first card is issued as a platinum then the second is approved as a world. This is what happened with me.

Message 29 of 44
Saleen099
Senior Contributor

@kdm31091 wrote:

@Saleen099 wrote:

@gdale6 wrote:

Okay now I see. Now if I can convince Barclays  System to give me an instant approval on my for fourth account.  I might apply in January. 

Message 30 of 44
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.