Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sallie Mae - strange....

tag
thelethargicage
Valued Contributor

Re: Sallie Mae - strange....

@Spider15 wrote:
Remember ... this card is aimed at college students. How many in the general population even know it exists. Those of us who haunt this site are aware of many things but, the consuming public likely does not know. After all, like the Citi Forward Visa ... which was for college students NOT the general public so who would be app'ing in a panic?

Funny thing is, not a whole lot of college students could qualify for it, what with its strict UW requirements.

Message 191 of 228
Anonymous
Not applicable

@thelethargicage wrote:

@Spider15 wrote:
Remember ... this card is aimed at college students. How many in the general population even know it exists. Those of us who haunt this site are aware of many things but, the consuming public likely does not know. After all, like the Citi Forward Visa ... which was for college students NOT the general public so who would be app'ing in a panic?

Funny thing is, not a whole lot of college students could qualify for it, what with its strict UW requirements.

Hmm ... good point. If it were not for this site, the card would not be mine. I like to believe (subjective on my part) that I am an informed user of credit. Approximately one year ago I asked the question and posed my spending pattern to posters on this site requesting guidance on a compatible card. Posters suggested I pursue the Sallie Mae MC. Truth, I had never heard of it. It has been one of my easy rewards "go to" card and does fit my spending pattern. Point is without all of you, I would not have known the card existed. To go on, the same is true of the Citi Forward Visa, got that information from this site. Did not know about it and when I did it asked for me to select my college from a listing and I did not qualify ... low and behold I get an e-mail from Citi with an app link for the card and I took it. Wonders never cease!

Message 192 of 228
Anonymous
Not applicable

Bummer. Really wanted this since we spend ~$650 on groceries/gas per month, but was going to wait it out.

Pretty sure my inqs would lead to a denial so I'll just say Sallie Mae wasn't meant for little old me.

Message 193 of 228
kdm31091
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Bummer. Really wanted this since we spend ~$650 on groceries/gas per month, but was going to wait it out.

Pretty sure my inqs would lead to a denial so I'll just say Sallie Mae wasn't meant for little old me.

With that spend, a BCP would probably work in your favor even with the fee.

Message 194 of 228
Anonymous
Not applicable

You're probably right, but I had an AMEX denial a few months back that still has me bummed. Even though I have cleaned up the collections, my score hasn't changed much since then and I have more inqs from auto financing. Plus, I know you shouldn't rely on prequals, but I get nothing on AMEX's site. Rather not waste an inq on a denial! Maybe after I'm done in the garden.
Message 195 of 228
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

Opted for expedited shipping, received via FedEx today. No changes in rewards, no warnings of changes. Card came as chip and pin, with emv embedded, just like my picture.

ETA: if you want a chip and pin card, then probably request a replacement?

Signature needs updating
Message 196 of 228
-Cal-
Valued Contributor

@Imperfectfuture wrote:

Opted for expedited shipping, received via FedEx today. No changes in rewards, no warnings of changes. Card came as chip and pin, with emv embedded, just like my picture.

Mine is EMV also. I requested a replacement shortly after the images on their site updated to EMV cards. In my case I accidentally ran the card through washer/dryer and it was warped.

Message 197 of 228
kdm31091
Super Contributor

They dont have to provide warnings of changes. The terms explicitly give barclay the right to change the program at any time without notice. So the lack of a warning isnt suprising.

However I also think the chip thing doesn't mean much. They havent gotten around to mailing some people the chip card. Dont think that has anything to do with the cards future as new ones are issued with chip.
Message 198 of 228
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Imperfectfuture wrote:

REALLY chip&pin?

Message 199 of 228
PrimeRate
Frequent Contributor

@kdm31091 wrote:
They dont have to provide warnings of changes. The terms explicitly give barclay the right to change the program at any time without notice. So the lack of a warning isnt suprising.

However I also think the chip thing doesn't mean much. They havent gotten around to mailing some people the chip card. Dont think that has anything to do with the cards future as new ones are issued with chip.

I respect the hell out of the majority of your posts and have bit my tongue for 20 pages... but you coming on here and defending every last comment that could be remotely taken as geared towards you & your speculation comes off extremely vain and incredibly redundant. Take a break.

☮ & ❤
Message 200 of 228
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.