tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Sallie Mae - strange....

@kdm31091 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@kdm31091 wrote:

@mitchblue wrote:

Having a look at what the Upromise card would offer, for me, it's useless. I do my shopping at Amazon whether I have Sallie Mae or not. All in once, they have just about everything.. quick shipping and unbelievable customer support. If I have to return something, they just send a UPS guy/gal to my house next day. Easy. Even a couple times I needed to return a couple small items, under $25 they just told me to keep it and still returned my money.. Just awesome.

You can't get use out of any of the shopping sites offered through Upromise? They have a ton! It's not for everyone though.

However, if you are strictly an Amazon person, you can just get the Amazon store card. 5% off with no depending on the bookstore coding -- you know you will get the 5% no matter what.

I do so little shopping, the card would also be useless for me.

But your Ebates card is basically the same thing as a Upromise card...lol

Yes, it is. In fact it's better and the little online shopping I do goes on it. So, again, the Upromise is useless.

Message 91 of 228
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Well, the reddit page does make it sound like if this is all true, existing Sallie users may be forced to the Upromise card. I imagine a lot of people will just end up closing it.

Message 92 of 228
barthooper
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@barthooper wrote:
A Reddit user applied within the past day or so and was declined and attempted to recon. The CSR and manager insisted that the card is still offered but this directly contradicts the response received from Barclays Twitter which seems to indicate existing card holders being transferred to UPromise: http://i.imgur.com/fE3QIo1.png.

This is the whole context: https://www.reddit.com/r/churning/comments/3me8wj/update_whats_going_on_with_the_barclays_sallie/

I want to see a link to an actual public Twitter post from Barclays, not just a screen shot.

That would be best. Hopefully they do that soon. Screenshots can be doctored but this seems to be the most reliable info we currently have. 

Quicksilver - 16k | Discover It - 34k | Citi DC - $21k | Chase Amazon - 8k | Chase Reserve - 19.5k | Chase Preferred - 5k | EX FICO (Discover CSC) 788
Message 93 of 228
Anonymous
Not applicable

@kdm31091 wrote:

Well, the reddit page does make it sound like if this is all true, existing Sallie users may be forced to the Upromise card. I imagine a lot of people will just end up closing it.

Except that one of the posters on that page was approved for the Sallie Mae yesterday:

I applied today (Friday) using that unlisted link, instantly went to pending, but now at www.myapplicationstatus.comit says approved:

Congratulations! On 09/25/2015 you were approved for the Sallie Mae World MasterCard with a Credit Line of $2,000.00

You'll receive your card, pin and card member agreement within the next 10 days.

Message 94 of 228
kdm31091
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@kdm31091 wrote:

Except that one of the posters on that page was approved for the Sallie Mae yesterday:

I applied today (Friday) using that unlisted link, instantly went to pending, but now at www.myapplicationstatus.comit says approved:

Congratulations! On 09/25/2015 you were approved for the Sallie Mae World MasterCard with a Credit Line of $2,000.00

You'll receive your card, pin and card member agreement within the next 10 days.

Doesn't mean it won't be converted when/if conversions do happen.

Who the heck knows though, but anyway, we are just going in circles. We'll just have to wait and see, and update the thread if we get any actual updated info. Have a good Saturday everyone Smiley Happy

Message 95 of 228
barthooper
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@kdm31091 wrote:

Didn't this happen with the aviator US Airways? The direct app link worked for a time but was unreachable and then it eventually stopped working? I'm inclined to believe it's on the way out.

Quicksilver - 16k | Discover It - 34k | Citi DC - $21k | Chase Amazon - 8k | Chase Reserve - 19.5k | Chase Preferred - 5k | EX FICO (Discover CSC) 788
Message 96 of 228
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

@kdm31091 wrote:

If this is true would just move limit and close card.  Still alot of speculation being thrown around on here and other sites..  Until it comes from the horses mouth I take it with a grain of salt.  95% of the people would just close the card and move the limit.  I understand you like the Upromise card, but for most it doesn't suit their needs.  I would end up getting the Amazon Sync card for Amazon and orginal BCE for the other void.  Not a huge loss if it does go away, just a very easy reward structure in a NO AF Card which makes it ideal.. Barclay's won't be offering much of anything of use if they remove this card for my tastes other than the Ring and that has limited use for me how it is now.
  Also with their AA crap I don't put much stock in them in the long term, especially if they were to get rid of the SM card as it stands now, nothing much worthwhile other than Ring as stated which many CU's can fill the void for.

Message 97 of 228
Anonymous
Not applicable

Worst case I could use the extra credit line on my Aviator.
Message 98 of 228
Anonymous
Not applicable

CreditCuriousity - could you adopt me and then I could sign up for some credit unions with the military bent. Smiley Happy
Message 99 of 228
barthooper
Frequent Contributor

Just a thought : why would Barclays issue the Sallie Mae as EMV if they were just about to forcibly discontinue it? Maybe existing customers will be alright in that case. 

Message 100 of 228
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.