Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sallie Mae - strange....

tag
thelethargicage
Valued Contributor

Re: Sallie Mae - strange....

They didn't even list it on their site or advertise anywhere else, so I doubt they'll come with a better product. If anything, it seems like they didn't want anyone to find out about it

Message 221 of 228
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Maybe they will Omar. My general spend is low so I understand the hype. 5% on gas and groceries with no AF is pretty cool for me. With the caps it might not appeal to others as much, understandable.

This.  Even with the caps it's incredibly useful.  What helps it is the consistency behind the card.  Sure Chase and Discover will rotate gas sometimes but you're always getting 5% up to 250 on SM.  Wal-Mart is essentially the main place I have to shop at where I live for groceries and it codes for the groceries unlike many other cards.  Amazon has other options, but if you don't have those cards it's excellent....and again it is consistent with a big cap allowing you to essentially spend 9000 a year at Amazon for 5% cash back.  I've never once had an Amazon purchase not code as 5% either. 

For me at least it is the perfect card. 

Message 222 of 228
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wal-Mart and Target coding as grocery does make it pretty sweet Smiley Very Happy
Message 223 of 228
kdm31091
Super Contributor

If your goal is to garden then thats your goal. Dont let it be overshadowed because an offer may disappear. Thats life. We miss out on some things. I wish I had a citi forward. I dont. I missed out. Life goes on.

Im glad existing users can keep their benefits and hopefully we can just move on now.
Message 224 of 228
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Wal-Mart and Target coding as grocery does make it pretty sweet Smiley Very Happy

This is why the BCP and other "grocery" cards have such limited value to me.  We are getting a new price chopper which I would imagine codes as a standalone grocery store? 

Message 225 of 228
newhis
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Rather than sit around waiting I called. Said I was concerned about my Sallie Mae account since I noticed the card is no longer available online. From the way the rep had his response prepared I think he's had to answer this question a few times lately. Smiley Wink idk whats going on for future customers and didn't ask but I'm satisfied with this answer. Similar to my backdated Amex card sometimes timing is everything!

"Your Sallie Mae accounts are fine. Rest assured we will not be restricting or modifying card benefits, forcing new card conversions or taking the card away from existing customers. Any changes regarding the Sallie Mae credit card will not affect current card holders."

That will be awesome! I hope the card stay the same for a long time.

Message 226 of 228
thelethargicage
Valued Contributor

Amex recently started coding Walmart Neighborhood Market as "Wholesale Store" instead of grocery store, which makes SM even more useful.

Message 227 of 228
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

It appears my most consistent and useful card is about to have it's days numbered.  Let's hope the nerfing takes place long down the road. 

10 - 4

Message 228 of 228
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.