Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sallie Mae - strange....

tag
yfan
Valued Contributor

Re: Sallie Mae - strange....

Not exactly surprising. Ultimately, nerfing or elimination is the fate of every card that attracts too much rewards maximization and not enough non-category spend. As kdm said, the only people using this card are probably rewards maximizers from credit board who spend our time Googling if our local 7-11 codes as a "gas station" and glow at the news that Amazon codes as a bookstore even though it isn't one. If that isn't SM's sole clientelle, it is a significant enough chunk to make the product unappealing to the lender.

Message 21 of 228
celluloid17
Established Contributor

@Themanwhocan wrote:

@celluloid17 wrote:

I called and asked a CSR and she said that it was still open and available to app for on their end, but then again, the frontline CSR people aren't always kept in the loop.

I remember when the 2% Priceline card application kept going away, being replaced with a 1% version. People could still apply for the 2% if they could find an active URL. I lucked in, as I applied about 2 weeks before they plugged the last hole.

Meanwhile, they already changed the rewards on the Upromise card, and now the Sallie Mae rewards mastercard application link was removed...

If I was planning to apply for the Sallie Mae Rewards card, I would do so sooner than later. If it comes back, who knows what the rewards structure might be changed to... But thats just me.

Here is an application link:

https://www.barclaycardus.com/apply/Landing.action?campaignId=2041&cellNumber=4&prodidreq=CCMWC61824...

Didn't they maintain the 2% structure of the Priceline card you have even though they changed the reward structure for new applicants?  Perhaps they will keep the SM 5% structure for current cardholders and either close it off to new applicants or reintroduce it with a different (less than stellar) rewards structure??

I have no desire for a Upromise card so I hope we're not automatically rolled into one.  

Message 22 of 228
Themanwhocan
Senior Contributor

@celluloid17 wrote:

@Themanwhocan wrote:

@celluloid17 wrote:

I called and asked a CSR and she said that it was still open and available to app for on their end, but then again, the frontline CSR people aren't always kept in the loop.

I remember when the 2% Priceline card application kept going away, being replaced with a 1% version. People could still apply for the 2% if they could find an active URL. I lucked in, as I applied about 2 weeks before they plugged the last hole.

Meanwhile, they already changed the rewards on the Upromise card, and now the Sallie Mae rewards mastercard application link was removed...

If I was planning to apply for the Sallie Mae Rewards card, I would do so sooner than later. If it comes back, who knows what the rewards structure might be changed to... But thats just me.

https://www.barclaycardus.com/apply/Landing.action?campaignId=2041&cellNumber=4&prodidreq=CCMWC61824...

Didn't they maintain the 2% structure of the Priceline card you have even though they changed the reward structure for new applicants?  Perhaps they will keep the SM 5% structure for current cardholders and either close it off to new applicants or reintroduce it with a different (less than stellar) rewards structure??

I have no desire for a Upromise card so I hope we're not automatically rolled into one.  

They maintained the 2%, and then later added a feature that gives back 10% of points redeemed for Travel purchases, just the same as they added to the current 1% version of the card. So the benefits actually increased to a 2.22% VISA card provided you redeem all points for travel purchases.

TU-8: 804 EX-8: 805 EQ-8: 788 EX-98: 767 EQ-04: 752    
TU-9 Bankcard: 837 EQ-9: 823 EX-9 Bankcard: 837
Total $443,800
Message 23 of 228
celluloid17
Established Contributor

@Themanwhocan wrote:

@celluloid17 wrote:

@Themanwhocan wrote:

@celluloid17 wrote:

They maintained the 2%, and then later added a feature that gives back 10% of points redeemed for Travel purchases, just the same as they added to the current 1% version of the card. So the benefits actually increased to a 2.22% VISA card provided you redeem all points for travel purchases.

Well that certainly sounds promising!

Message 24 of 228
kdm31091
Super Contributor

@joshkm wrote:

This is very disappointing if it's gone. I love this card and the cash back, even though the caps are small. I'm not usually a big spender, so it fits me most of the time, though I do hit the cap on groceries sometimes.

I was debating on pulling the trigger within the next few months and trying for a second one since I hit my 1 year anniversary this month on Sept 23. I have my doubts on whether getting another one is even possible, but there are the rare few on here that have pulled it off.

I would hate to waste a hard inquiry or worse yet be successful and find out Barclays decided to strip the rewards or convert everyone over to Upromise.

At this point, I would not be applying for it. I would think that if it is truly gone, it's a waste of HP because they will be nerfing the rewards or switching you to something else anyway.

Message 25 of 228
Anonymous
Not applicable

Depressing! This was my main go to card as I am a small spender. Used it when US Bank nerfed the US Bank Cash+ VS. No desire to have the Barclay's Upromise WMC (does not fit my spending pattern). Really depressing. Time to fly to the Barclay's Headquarters (which they may move) and throw myself off the top of the building Smiley Wink
Message 26 of 228
kdm31091
Super Contributor

@Spider15 wrote:
Depressing! This was my main go to card as I am a small spender. Used it when US Bank nerfed the US Bank Cash+ VS. No desire to have the Barclay's Upromise WMC (does not fit my spending pattern). Really depressing. Time to fly to the Barclay's Headquarters (which they may move) and throw myself off the top of the building Smiley Wink

For me, I can achieve what I need with the Cash+ for the most part (at least, at this moment, with the categories). I have 2% dining, 5% fast food, and 5% furniture (IKEA for me) selected for Q4. I eat out more than I should probably, especially fast food so it suits me just fine. I rarely buy gas as my commute is about 60 seconds, I buy most of my groceries at BJ's with my BJ's card, etc. Having said that, the categories in the past were definitely broader and better but that's the case for most cards...they get worse over time.

The only real use for the Upromise card for me has been online shopping; having said that, I've gotten some good deals. 6% back on Ebay, 10% back on booking.com to book next summer's beach trip (haven't done it yet, but the percentage will be nice), etc. It's nice, but it's not an everyday spending type of card. The deals can be valuable if you like to shop online.

This can happen at any point with any card, so it's good we are mostly all diversified and with SM's caps, no one is going to lose out on a lot of money even if the card is actually discontinued/changed. 5% on "good" categories is just hard to sustain.

Message 27 of 228
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Spider15 wrote:

Thanks 4 the comic relief!Smiley Happy

Message 28 of 228
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm choosing to stay positive and wait to see what happens.Smiley Happy

Message 29 of 228
Anonymous
Not applicable

@celluloid17 wrote:

@Themanwhocan wrote:

@celluloid17 wrote:

@Themanwhocan wrote:

@celluloid17 wrote:

Well that certainly sounds promising!

Yes, and hopefully not Upromising!

No tomatoes to the face, please.

Message 30 of 228
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.