Did you mean: 

Sallie Mae - talk me down or help me pull the trigger

tag
Kenny
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Sallie Mae - talk me down or help me pull the trigger

@sergi0wned wrote:

OH MY GOD!!!!!!

Just got INSTANTLY APPROVED for $3,800!!! I can't believe it! Highest approval yet. It's the platinum version, but I can't really complain.

Off to the garden I go! Thanks for the encouragement guys!

Congrats! It's a great card! Smiley Happy Also, free 25 bucks too.. lol

Message 21 of 47
Themanwhocan
Senior Contributor

@Creditaddict wrote:

@Themanwhocan wrote:

You are probably just fine to obtain a Sallie Mae. Here is the record of my credit cards:

Secured (Closed)  1/1/2012

US Bank Cash+     1/1/2013

Elan (closed)     1/1/2013

Discover IT       1/29/2013

US Bank Cash+ #2  4/1/2013

Amex BCE          4/20/2013

Priceline.com     5/7/2013

Sallie Mae        9/21/2013

Chase Freedom     11/20/2013

Sallie Mae        4/7/2014

The priceline was only a $1500 limit, and the first Sallie was only $1600. Once I let my score recover and stopped having a lot of recent applications, my second Sallie was granted at $10,000.

WOW, Barclay issued a 3rd card!!?

OP APPLY!

The Priceline is the 2% on everything card, and a Visa (no longer available), so naturally that card gets steady usage. The Sallie is for Grocerys and Amazon, so naturally that gets steady usage (until I no longer need to eat...). So, since I always show usage on their cards, naturally they like me and are willing to approve more cards.

Barclays also gave me a 2X bonus on the Priceline.com card last quarter in a couple of useful categories, so I also moved a lot of usage to that card for 3 months to artifically inflate my usage, and set a new high usage limit on that card. 

TU-8: 804 EX-8: 805 EQ-8: 788 EX-98: 767 EQ-04: 752    
TU-9 Bankcard: 837 EQ-9: 823 EX-9 Bankcard: 837
Total $443,800
Message 22 of 47
Kenny
Moderator Emeritus

@sergi0wned wrote:

@CribDuchess wrote:

Congrats on your Sallie Mae approval!  Love mine so far.  Your card will have an initial/first purchase bonus of $25.00, and they are very quick to post those rewards.  I made my first purchase on Amazon for about $60, and after they applied the rewards to my account, I immediately used them for statement credit and ended up only having to pay about $32 for my $60 purchase.  Not too shabby.

Also, Barclays provides a free monthly TU Fico score with this card.  I think you need to elect that option on your online account interface.

Thansk for the advice! I'm poking around on their website, and I have to say that I'm impressed by the design! I just opted in, and should be receiving it within a month. Hopefully it will be staggered from my Discover.

It is different. It can update whenever your score makes a "marked change" and that's pretty much as vague as you can get. lol I've noticed my score has updated at times more than monthly, but sometimes less than. I'm very impressed with Barclays. I think as long as their customer service is good through the years, they'll always have me as a customer.

Message 23 of 47
sergi0wned
Contributor

@KennyRS wrote:

@sergi0wned wrote:

@CribDuchess wrote:

Congrats on your Sallie Mae approval!  Love mine so far.  Your card will have an initial/first purchase bonus of $25.00, and they are very quick to post those rewards.  I made my first purchase on Amazon for about $60, and after they applied the rewards to my account, I immediately used them for statement credit and ended up only having to pay about $32 for my $60 purchase.  Not too shabby.

Also, Barclays provides a free monthly TU Fico score with this card.  I think you need to elect that option on your online account interface.

Thansk for the advice! I'm poking around on their website, and I have to say that I'm impressed by the design! I just opted in, and should be receiving it within a month. Hopefully it will be staggered from my Discover.

It is different. It can update whenever your score makes a "marked change" and that's pretty much as vague as you can get. lol I've noticed my score has updated at times more than monthly, but sometimes less than. I'm very impressed with Barclays. I think as long as their customer service is good through the years, they'll always have me as a customer.

That's fantastic to hear, both about the scores and the customer service.

I'm a total junkie with watching my credit score, so it will be nice to hopefully see my "marked changes" more often than my monthly Discover.

I'm very impressed with their website and mobile app so far. Very clean and well designed. Now I can't wait to get my card and make $25 for free!

20 years old | 4 Cards in my wallet | TU (3/28/14) 743
January 2013 - 1st Financial Bank USA Platinum VISA ($500 --> $1,500)
June 2013- Discover IT Student ($1,500 --> $1,800 --> $2,100), Citi Forward Student ($1,500 --> $2,900)
December 2013 - Macy's American Express ($1,000 --> $3,000)
February 2014 - American Express Blue Cash Everyday ($3,000), Chase Freedom ($2,000)
April 2014 - Sallie Mae MasterCard ($3,800)
Message 24 of 47
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Be interested to see if others can duplicate TMWC's two SM success with a straight app for the second card.   Might be that Barclay's doesn't care, or doesn't detect (just checks to see if profile is suitable for the card).     Two provides better rewards for most spending patterns than the BCP.

Message 25 of 47
Kenny
Moderator Emeritus

@longtimelurker wrote:

Be interested to see if others can duplicate TMWC's two SM success with a straight app for the second card.   Might be that Barclay's doesn't care, or doesn't detect (just checks to see if profile is suitable for the card).     Two provides better rewards for most spending patterns than the BCP.

I would think most could if they just didn't app for much and kept inqs down and apply again in 6 months or so. Don't you think?

Message 26 of 47
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@KennyRS wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

I would think most could if they just didn't app for much and kept inqs down and apply again in 6 months or so. Don't you think?

Possibly, just don't know if Barclays intended to allow it or something slipped through.   With capped no AF cards, it doesn't seem to me to make a whole lot of sense to allow duplicates, its just like doubling the cap with no other change.

Message 27 of 47
Themanwhocan
Senior Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@KennyRS wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

Possibly, just don't know if Barclays intended to allow it or something slipped through.   With capped no AF cards, it doesn't seem to me to make a whole lot of sense to allow duplicates, its just like doubling the cap with no other change.

Well, we know we can have two US Bank Cash+ cards or two Sallie Mae cards. Others have two BOA Better Balance Rewards cards, or two Chase Freedom cards. And someone earlier was looking to get two Discover cards...

I guess if you never take a chance and roll the dice, there isn't much reason to have dice.

TU-8: 804 EX-8: 805 EQ-8: 788 EX-98: 767 EQ-04: 752    
TU-9 Bankcard: 837 EQ-9: 823 EX-9 Bankcard: 837
Total $443,800
Message 28 of 47
Kenny
Moderator Emeritus

I agree. I think the main reason most people don't have multiples is because they don't know they can have multiples. I know when a Chase CSR wanted me to have 2 Freedoms I was like..uhm... can I do that? lol I closed it down later, though. I don't utilize the one as best I should.
Message 29 of 47
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Themanwhocan wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@KennyRS wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

Well, we know we can have two US Bank Cash+ cards or two Sallie Mae cards. Others have two BOA Better Balance Rewards cards, or two Chase Freedom cards. And someone earlier was looking to get two Discover cards...

I guess if you never take a chance and roll the dice, there isn't much reason to have dice.

Oh sure, it's worth a try if you want the second card, (and don't mind the worse case of there being an HP and then being told "You aren't allowed two.")

What I think is relatively special about your SM is that most of the other duplicates I am aware of, including your Cash Plus, comes from PCing  (And often multiple freedoms either come from Visa/MC distinctions, or downgrading a CSP, or some other PC).

The only issuer I was aware who at least in the past REALLY didn't care was Citi.   As I said, looking at from the issuers view point, it doesn't seem to make sense to allow capped no-AF cards to be duplicated, which of course is very different from saying what can happen!

Message 30 of 47
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.