Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sallie Mae vs. Upromise?

tag
CreditUnionFan
Valued Contributor

Re: Sallie Mae vs. Upromise?

The appeal of the Upromise MC is when used online, IMHO.  UPromise is a shopping portal where one can earn points (or cash)) similar to mypoints.com or ebates.com. The web site offers a percentage for starting at their portal and then linking to the retailer.

If you start at the portal, you earn the upromise.com points no matter which card you use. BUT, you can couple it with the MC for an additional 5%.

Even when Target.com was linkable through Upromise.com, I would use the Upromise MC over the Target card. Any reading on the forums you see that they really push the debit card with many individuals having very small limits on the Target credit card. So, I'd make my purchases through upromise.com (5%), place it on the UPromise MC (5%) for a total of 10%.

I've used the card at macmall, and bjs.com, and love that for those purchases I'd make anyway I'll get the additional 5% back.

I was going to garden... Honest!
Message 21 of 75
juggalo9er
Valued Contributor

@CreditUnionFan wrote:

The appeal of the Upromise MC is when used online, IMHO.  UPromise is a shopping portal where one can earn points (or cash)) similar to mypoints.com or ebates.com. The web site offers a percentage for starting at their portal and then linking to the retailer.

If you start at the portal, you earn the upromise.com points no matter which card you use. BUT, you can couple it with the MC for an additional 5%.

Even when Target.com was linkable through Upromise.com, I would use the Upromise MC over the Target card. Any reading on the forums you see that they really push the debit card with many individuals having very small limits on the Target credit card. So, I'd make my purchases through upromise.com (5%), place it on the UPromise MC (5%) for a total of 10%.

I've used the card at macmall, and bjs.com, and love that for those purchases I'd make anyway I'll get the additional 5% back.

could not agree with you more in its use there is a problem however! many people on this forum believe sallie mae is better because of its cash back on gas and what not, what they fail to realize is that each card has its own distinct use....perfect example i changed my own oil and purchased the oil thry upromise advance auto, i paid 25.99 for mobil 1 synthenic (top of the line oil) and an ac delco filter! i recieved 25% off for going thru upromise and 10% cash back making the final cost around $23.60.....good luck finding the oil alone (5 quarts) for that price nevermind with the filter (11.99 canister filter)

Message 22 of 75
Themanwhocan
Senior Contributor

And they keep offering me $75 and $100 sign up bonuses to get the Upromise card. 

TU-8: 804 EX-8: 805 EQ-8: 788 EX-98: 767 EQ-04: 752    
TU-9 Bankcard: 837 EQ-9: 823 EX-9 Bankcard: 837
Total $443,800
Message 23 of 75
PlasticOrPlastic
Established Contributor

@juggalo9er wrote:

@CreditUnionFan wrote:

could not agree with you more in its use there is a problem however! many people on this forum believe sallie mae is better because of its cash back on gas and what not, what they fail to realize is that each card has its own distinct use....perfect example i changed my own oil and purchased the oil thry upromise advance auto, i paid 25.99 for mobil 1 synthenic (top of the line oil) and an ac delco filter! i recieved 25% off for going thru upromise and 10% cash back making the final cost around $23.60.....good luck finding the oil alone (5 quarts) for that price nevermind with the filter (11.99 canister filter)

Thats really good.  So far though I haven't seen anything that peaks my interest (from your examples at least) I've never changed my own oil nor do I plan to, just don't have the time, instead the dealership picks my car up and drops it off after its done.  Does upromise have a mall type deal like Shopdiscover or similar?

Message 24 of 75
Ghoshida
Valued Contributor

@PlasticOrPlastic wrote:

@juggalo9er wrote:

@CreditUnionFan wrote:

Thats really good.  So far though I haven't seen anything that peaks my interest (from your examples at least) I've never changed my own oil nor do I plan to, just don't have the time, instead the dealership picks my car up and drops it off after its done.  Does upromise have a mall type deal like Shopdiscover or similar?

Yes, UPromise has a nice shopping mall, and the rewards are at times better than ShopDiscover, and definitely better than UR Mall. 

Pros: UPromise has Avis, Budget (5%, 4%) CB as well as promo coupons (so rates are really low to start with) as against say Enterprise on ShopDiscover. I find final cost of rentals through UPromise about 10-15% lower than if I use SD. I believe UPromise also has a higher range of stores overall (at least for my kind of purchases). Airfare bought through Priceline etc gets me about 1-1.5% extra CB (combined with Cap One QS it becomes 2.5-3% CB). Often these companies don't offer CB on airfare alone through SD. 

Also, unlike SD, you can redeem UPromise points through Sallie Mae savings account and get a 10% bonus (similar to Chase checking) if you have a $25 recurring monthly deposit. SM has decent interest rates (0.85% APY). 

Cons: UPromise redemption happens anywhere between 30 to 90 days, unlike 30-60 days of SD. Also, UPromise customer service (I've made limited use) seems shoddier than SD.

UPromise Card: if you use the portal enough, it's a good deal on most of those sites. However, I wanted to use the card as a pseudo travel card (because I saw Priceline etc) but Upromise card clearly mentions that large stores like Target and travel fare agglomerators like Priceline etc are not covered by the credit card bonus deal. 

Message 25 of 75
PlasticOrPlastic
Established Contributor

@Ghoshida wrote:

@PlasticOrPlastic wrote:

@juggalo9er wrote:

@CreditUnionFan wrote:

Yes, UPromise has a nice shopping mall, and the rewards are at times better than ShopDiscover, and definitely better than UR Mall. 

Pros: UPromise has Avis, Budget (5%, 4%) CB as well as promo coupons (so rates are really low to start with) as against say Enterprise on ShopDiscover. I find final cost of rentals through UPromise about 10-15% lower than if I use SD. I believe UPromise also has a higher range of stores overall (at least for my kind of purchases). Airfare bought through Priceline etc gets me about 1-1.5% extra CB (combined with Cap One QS it becomes 2.5-3% CB). Often these companies don't offer CB on airfare alone through SD. 

Also, unlike SD, you can redeem UPromise points through Sallie Mae savings account and get a 10% bonus (similar to Chase checking) if you have a $25 recurring monthly deposit. SM has decent interest rates (0.85% APY). 

Cons: UPromise redemption happens anywhere between 30 to 90 days, unlike 30-60 days of SD. Also, UPromise customer service (I've made limited use) seems shoddier than SD.

UPromise Card: if you use the portal enough, it's a good deal on most of those sites. However, I wanted to use the card as a pseudo travel card (because I saw Priceline etc) but Upromise card clearly mentions that large stores like Target and travel fare agglomerators like Priceline etc are not covered by the credit card bonus deal. 

Thanks for that Ghoshida, good info.  I just opened the Sallie Mae, as I didnt think the upromise would benefit me much.  I currently have savings with both Chase and Discover, but no Chase cards for the bonus 10%.  I think the Sallie Mae will be used strictly for Gas, Groceries, and Amazon Purchases, then all points earned will be put towards my student loans.  I did add Upromise to my list for the future though looks like it could be interesting once I get rid of my Rewards VISA!   Thanks again for the info.

Message 26 of 75
Ghoshida
Valued Contributor

@PlasticOrPlastic wrote:

Thanks for that Ghoshida, good info.  I just opened the Sallie Mae, as I didnt think the upromise would benefit me much.  I currently have savings with both Chase and Discover, but no Chase cards for the bonus 10%.  I think the Sallie Mae will be used strictly for Gas, Groceries, and Amazon Purchases, then all points earned will be put towards my student loans.  I did add Upromise to my list for the future though looks like it could be interesting once I get rid of my Rewards VISA!   Thanks again for the info.

You might want to look at Freedom. The $200 CB bonus should come back in a few months. However, most of the categories that Freedom has in the next two quarters (Gas, Amazon) are covered by the SM (albeit with lower limits on gas). 

IMO, SMMC and UPromise CC serve very different purposes and buying habits. Find the one that suits you best. You can always have both of them.

Message 27 of 75
PlasticOrPlastic
Established Contributor

@Ghoshida wrote:

@PlasticOrPlastic wrote:

You might want to look at Freedom. The $200 CB bonus should come back in a few months. However, most of the categories that Freedom has in the next two quarters (Gas, Amazon) are covered by the SM (albeit with lower limits on gas). 

IMO, SMMC and UPromise CC serve very different purposes and buying habits. Find the one that suits you best. You can always have both of them.

No Freedom for me for another 6 years Smiley Sad My BK and Chase are making sure of that!  And yes thats why I went with the Sallie, it was more appealing for my spending and its rewards right now.  Right now I'm happy with my IT, Arrival, Sallie, and Barclay Rewards VISA.  Once this BK falls off I'll look more closely at AMEX and Chase for sure. 

Message 28 of 75
Anonymous
Not applicable

PlasticOrPlastic - You have a good card base. No worries mate.
Message 29 of 75
PlasticOrPlastic
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
PlasticOrPlastic - You have a good card base. No worries mate.

Thanks Wanderer, I'm pretty happy with my line up right now.  Ill garden and hopefully get my limits up a bit (hoping to hit 5 digits on at least one).

Message 30 of 75
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.