Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sallie Mae vs. Upromise?

tag
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: Sallie Mae vs. Upromise?

@Anonymous wrote:

The participating restaurants near my area are serious lacking. All I see is Pizza Hut and Wendy's Burgers! If 4% on "eligable Upromise dining restaurants" means this, then the US Bank Cash+ is better.

I think this card is best used for online retailers. I just spent $130 on Vitamin Shoppe so a 5% (10% if I had the Upromise card) rewards is actually beneficial for me.

A lot of people have said about restaurants, but I was surprised at the list, one of my top choices is there.   And remember, it's up to 12%, not 4%, and that only takes $500 a year spend.  So, if there is a match, that's a lot better than Cash +, and frees up two 5% categories for the Cash +

Message 41 of 75
Anonymous
Not applicable

@I_need_720 wrote:

@juggalo9er wrote:

w

@Anonymous wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

i do not see Mc Donalds, Wendy's, Popeyes Chicken, KFC, Denny's, iHop, Chiptole, Toco Bell ... in their UPROMISE DINNING PROGRAM. i do not see this 4% dinning beneficial compare to 5% restaurant and 5% fast food that US Bank Cash+ offers. I also notice the 5% gas on the Upromise is limited to Exxon or Mobil. Not BP or other gas.

Well, if you spend $500 a year and up at the participating restaurants, and pay with the Upromise card, you earn 12% which does beat the 5%!    And yes, they pick certain suppliers, like ExxonMobile, rather than all gas, which may or may not work for you, but it's a potential choice.

am i missing something ?  i didnt see this 7% bonus anywhere. Maybe this was a promotion they had for existing customers? I only saw that you could double your cashback  making online purchases through Upromise.

http://www.upromise.com/creditcard.do?referrerid=RETARGETLP14/&ax=ret_2013_BCUSlbgifts&csdartid=270545478_53068086&cssiteid=1399493

where are you getting 7% from

Please go thru this link for the information you are seeking in regards to cash back on dining:

http://rn.upromise.com/howitworks.htm

But quickly: "

You can earn up to 12% cash back on dining! Here's how: Pay for eligible dining purchases with your Upromise MasterCard. You will earn 4% cash back (comprised of these Upromise MasterCard rewards: 3% cash back on eligible dining purchases and 1% cash back everywhere automatically just for using your Upromise MasterCard) and if your Qualified Dine(s) spending is at the level to qualify for earnings at the Upromise Dining Program's Platinum Status in a calendar year, you will earn an additional 8% on that spending. These transactions will also count toward your overall calendar year spending in the Upromise Dining Program."

I am at Platinum Status for UPromise Dining Program and I am getting 12% back.

thank you. i looked at the listings entering my zipcode. Perhaps its just where i live or just plain marketing and no research. They only list minority places i never heard of or ate before. See if you heard any of these places nationally.... http://rn.upromise.com/search-options.htm?q=San+Francisco%2C+CA&e= Not mainstream places we eat everyday i think would be much harder becoming ''platinum status.'' 

According to my GasBuddy App it's still cheaper going to the other gas stations than recieving 5% - 12% cash back going to Mobil/Exxon. Then even in San Francisco where i reside, there isn't even a Mobil or Exxon gas station. http://www.exxonmobilstations.com

I will keep your infomation handy for future references. Still shopping around Smiley LOL thank you.  

PS, i know my gas would be expensive anyway, that's what i get for driving a mercedes Smiley Tongue

Which is why im still trying to beat Bank of AmericaCash Rewards (3% gas) Smiley Happy

Message 42 of 75
Anonymous
Not applicable

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

The participating restaurants near my area are serious lacking. All I see is Pizza Hut and Wendy's Burgers! If 4% on "eligable Upromise dining restaurants" means this, then the US Bank Cash+ is better.

I think this card is best used for online retailers. I just spent $130 on Vitamin Shoppe so a 5% (10% if I had the Upromise card) rewards is actually beneficial for me.

A lot of people have said about restaurants, but I was surprised at the list, one of my top choices is there.   And remember, it's up to 12%, not 4%, and that only takes $500 a year spend.  So, if there is a match, that's a lot better than Cash +, and frees up two 5% categories for the Cash +

Yeah it just depends on the individual and their eating habits. If you are lucky enough to find a restaurant, then it's definitely a good program. If I were to get this card, I'd use my Cash+ as my primary restaurant card (I don't eat much fast food anyways), with Upromise as a secondary backup. Just navigating through the website for a participating restaurant is difficult enough.

Message 43 of 75
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

So this is probably not the card for smode then!   But I would guess it is the more local places that participate, and, as it happens, the ones near me cover 4 of our top five choices.   

Message 44 of 75
I_need_720
Regular Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Besides getting the 12% back I also utilize the OpenTable app to make reservations. So as much as possible I try to go to restaurants that I can make reservation through OpenTable and that are part of the Upromise Dining Program; thus, Earning 100 Points per reservation (2000 points can be redeemed for a $20 Dining Cheque) in addition to my 12% back.  Combining the rewards of two separate programs for a 1-2 punch Smiley Wink

br>Current Scores: EQ: 629 EX: 654 TU: 682 on 12/30/2014 from myFico
Starting Scores: EQ: 640 EX: 672 TU: 663 on 08/26/2014 from myFico
Goal Scores: 750+

In the Garden till October 2015 - Last App November 13, 2014
Message 45 of 75
Anonymous
Not applicable

@longtimelurker wrote:

So this is probably not the card for you then!   But I would guess it is the more local places that participate, and, as it happens, the ones near me cover 4 of our top five choices.   

For me, I live in a predominantly Asian area, and there are only a few Asian restaurants that participate. The ones that do, are like 5+ miles away from where I live and they're not necessarily my top choice for dining out Smiley Sad 

I was checking other restuarants, and I guess the only other place I would eat at is Denny's (if I have a late-night craving), but seriously the search came up with 12 Pizza Hut's in a 5.5 mile radius. 

Message 46 of 75
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

So this is probably not the card for you then!   But I would guess it is the more local places that participate, and, as it happens, the ones near me cover 4 of our top five choices.   

For me, I live in a predominantly Asian area, and there are only a few Asian restaurants that participate. The ones that do, are like 5+ miles away from where I live and they're not necessarily my top choice for dining out Smiley Sad 

I was checking other restuarants, and I guess the only other place I would eat at is Denny's (if I have a late-night craving), but seriously the search came up with 12 Pizza Hut's in a 5.5 mile radius. 

Doesn't even take Albert Einstein to figure it out. I rather have 10% cashback (5% restaurant, 5% fast-food) and be able to choose what i like to eat than having 12% cashback to have choices chosen for me. 

Some of these Banks will say anything to market their cards. i'm glad i read these terms & condititions before applying Smiley LOL

Message 47 of 75
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

Doesn't even take Albert Einsten to figure it out. I rather have 10% cashback (5% restaurant, 5% fast-food) and be able to choose what i like to eat than having 12% cashback to have choices chosen for me. 

Some of these Banks will say anything to market their cards. i'm glad i read the terms & condititions before applying Smiley LOL

But Albert Einsten (or Albert Einstein even) might know that 5% on category A and 5% on category B is 5%, rather than 10%!   But yes, if the card makes no sense don't get it.   But don't assume your conclusions apply to everyone, for some upromise is a great card, just as for some Sallie Mae (or Cash Plus) makes no sense.

Message 48 of 75
Anonymous
Not applicable

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

Doesn't even take Albert Einsten to figure it out. I rather have 10% cashback (5% restaurant, 5% fast-food) and be able to choose what i like to eat than having 12% cashback to have choices chosen for me. 

Some of these Banks will say anything to market their cards. i'm glad i read the terms & condititions before applying Smiley LOL

But Albert Einsten (or Albert Einstein even) might know that 5% on category A and 5% on category B is 5%, rather than 10%!   But yes, if the card makes no sense don't get it.   But don't assume your conclusions apply to everyone, for some upromise is a great card, just as for some Sallie Mae (or Cash Plus) makes no sense.

no you can choose  2 - 5% and 2  - 2% catergories every quarter with CASH+ i think Smiley Indifferent So if you want you can have 5% fast food and 5% restaurant all year round if you like. And i dont spend $8,000 a year eating out anyway if that's the spending gap for each quarter. 

Message 49 of 75
I_need_720
Regular Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

+1

YMMV - I try to go to restaurants that I can make reservation through OpenTable and that are part of the Upromise Dining Program; thus, Earning 100 Points per reservation (2000 points can be redeemed for a $20 Dining Cheque) in addition to my 12% back.  Combining the rewards of two separate programs for a 1-2 punch :smileywink:

I fully understand that this may not work for everyone.

br>Current Scores: EQ: 629 EX: 654 TU: 682 on 12/30/2014 from myFico
Starting Scores: EQ: 640 EX: 672 TU: 663 on 08/26/2014 from myFico
Goal Scores: 750+

In the Garden till October 2015 - Last App November 13, 2014
Message 50 of 75
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.