Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sallie Mae

tag
PlasticOrPlastic
Established Contributor

Sallie Mae

I've been eyeing the Sallie Mae card ever since my first visit to this forum.  I currently have a Barclay Rewards Visa (10 months old), and a Barclay Arrival (1.5 years old).  I'd like to add a Sallie to my wallet, but I have a couple questions.  1.)  How many cards can I have with Barclay?  Anybody hit the max?  2.) My score is 696 with TU which I understand will be pulled for a Sallie card, however I have 21 INQ's on that CR (I know I had a period of needing to see approvals) will Barclay instantly deny because of those INQ's? 3.) I've tried PC'ing to a Sallie, but its been a no go, even after 6+ calls to Barclays, I now see I'll probably have to app for the card.  I tried to get my Arrival converted to Sallie but that was a no as well. 

Should I close my VISA and move the CL to my Arrival and app for Sallie, or just leave things as is for now? 

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
dodgerslv
Valued Contributor

Re: Sallie Mae

@PlasticOrPlastic wrote:

I've been eyeing the Sallie Mae card ever since my first visit to this forum.  I currently have a Barclay Rewards Visa (10 months old), and a Barclay Arrival (1.5 years old).  I'd like to add a Sallie to my wallet, but I have a couple questions.  1.)  How many cards can I have with Barclay?  Anybody hit the max?  2.) My score is 696 with TU which I understand will be pulled for a Sallie card, however I have 21 INQ's on that CR (I know I had a period of needing to see approvals) will Barclay instantly deny because of those INQ's? 3.) I've tried PC'ing to a Sallie, but its been a no go, even after 6+ calls to Barclays, I now see I'll probably have to app for the card.  I tried to get my Arrival converted to Sallie but that was a no as well. 

Should I close my VISA and move the CL to my Arrival and app for Sallie, or just leave things as is for now? 

I have 4 Barclays cards all acquired within 13 months. I started with the Arrival back in late May of 2013 (5k limit) and my score were in the high 600s on TU then. Then i apped for the Williams Sonoma in December and got instantly approved for 3500. Come April i applied for the US Airways and instantly approved for 10k and then i took a chance and apped for the Arrival Plus being ready to recon and offer to close the Arrival but was instantly approved for 12.5k. I have had around 3-5 INQs on TU during all those approvals with Barclays. You can have multiple cards with them and im sure others here have more than 2 or even 4...lol. If you are going to apply dont close any of your cards yet. Use that as a bargaining chip if you have to recon. I could see all those INQs maybe being an issue but i have seen people get approved with more INQ than you. One thing i can say is that Barclays does like you to use their cards alot. They will be hesitant to grant any more credit if you are not actively using their card(s). Good luck and hope this info helps.

gardening since 5/21/2016
Message 2 of 12
PlasticOrPlastic
Established Contributor

@dodgerslv wrote:

@PlasticOrPlastic wrote:

I have 4 Barclays cards all acquired within 13 months. I started with the Arrival back in late May of 2013 (5k limit) and my score were in the high 600s on TU then. Then i apped for the Williams Sonoma in December and got instantly approved for 3500. Come April i applied for the US Airways and instantly approved for 10k and then i took a chance and apped for the Arrival Plus being ready to recon and offer to close the Arrival but was instantly approved for 12.5k. I have had around 3-5 INQs on TU during all those approvals with Barclays. You can have multiple cards with them and im sure others here have more than 2 or even 4...lol. If you are going to apply dont close any of your cards yet. Use that as a bargaining chip if you have to recon. I could see all those INQs maybe being an issue but i have seen people get approved with more INQ than you. One thing i can say is that Barclays does like you to use their cards alot. They will be hesitant to grant any more credit if you are not actively using their card(s). Good luck and hope this info helps.

Thanks very much for the reply!  Thats a good point with the bargaining chip, I'll keep that VISA open incase they would be open to that.  Also my 21 INQ's aren't all recent, there is maybe 3-5 for this year...everything else is approaching 1 year or more.  I'm itching to app for the Sallie today, but trying to tell myself to wait (probably out of fear of denial lol).  Thanks again for sharing your experience.

Message 3 of 12
PlasticOrPlastic
Established Contributor

So I was approved for the Sallie Mae card, however my limit is $350...not impressed with that at all.  Should I recon my limit or move some of my CL around to that card?  Ill be using it more than my Rewards VISA and Arrival mainly because of the Amazon and grocery 5%.  Any advice on this?

Message 4 of 12
-NewGuy-
Moderator Emeritus

Call and recon the limit. Explain that you want to use it but the limit is prohibitive. If they still say no, then ask to reallocate limits. Good luck.

Message 5 of 12
PlasticOrPlastic
Established Contributor

@-NewGuy- wrote:

Call and recon the limit. Explain that you want to use it but the limit is prohibitive. If they still say no, then ask to reallocate limits. Good luck.

Thanks newguy, calling them now!

Message 6 of 12
Involver
Valued Contributor

$350?  Yikes.  How did the call go?

Message 7 of 12
PlasticOrPlastic
Established Contributor

@Involver wrote:

$350?  Yikes.  How did the call go?

Good but not great, the CSR said I'm doing excellent in rebuilding after a BK but he mentioned I was at the highest exposure Barclay was willing to be for now (hence the $350)  I was able to move some CL's around and make the Sallie $1350, which is perfect for grocery, gas, and amazon spend.  I cant complain, my CL could have been a dollar and I would have been happy to see the approval...been wanting this card for quite some time. 

Message 8 of 12
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Yes, that's a workable limit since the max benefit per month is $1,200.    My Sallie Mae card is my lowest limit, something they didn't particularly like in my CR I guess!

Message 9 of 12
PlasticOrPlastic
Established Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

Yes, that's a workable limit since the max benefit per month is $1,200.    My Sallie Mae card is my lowest limit, something they didn't particularly like in my CR I guess!

Even with scores like yours longtime?!?  I guess that makes me feel a bit better but you have some rediculously nice limits!  Smiley Happy  I was happy to get the approval at all, I have 21 INQ's on TU 12 that are actually being factored into FICO, and a BK which usually destroys my chances at anything I actually want.  I'll actually be removing all of my other cards from my Amazon account and using only Sallie Mae for purchases (I collect Blu Rays so that 5% back will be awesome).  Ill also be using the Sallie for gas unless I hit the cap, then Discover will kick in, and groceries will be on Sallie only.  This card sort of made my Rewards VISA obsolete lol. 

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.