Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sallie Mae

tag
Skye12329
Valued Contributor

Sallie Mae

So its settled after discussing Amex and SM for groceries i figured since Amex isnt going to benefit me and i might hit the limit on SM for cashback per month i figured some is better than none. However i have questions Smiley Embarassed

1. Since its backed by Barclays is it hard to get? Like are they still account senstive/inq sensitive since it is Barclays still

2. Can i recon the limit? SP or HP?

3. CLI do they do SP's or is it always HP

4. Does cub, sams club, or walmart count as groceries if buying groceries

5. It says 5% on gas and groceries for up $250 is that combined per month or seperate? 

6. What can i use the CB/points for?

BK7 - 2/21
Cap1 QS - 2k (4/21)
Mission Lane - 4k (11/21)
Venmo - 900 (11/21)
SavorOne - 2500 (12/21)
VentureOne - 2000 (7/22)
Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Sallie Mae

@Skye12329 wrote:

So its settled after discussing Amex and SM for groceries i figured since Amex isnt going to benefit me and i might hit the limit on SM for cashback per month i figured some is better than none. However i have questions Smiley Embarassed

1. Since its backed by Barclays is it hard to get? Like are they still account senstive/inq sensitive since it is Barclays still

5. It says 5% on gas and groceries for up $250 is that combined per month or seperate? 

I know at least for the Barclaycard Rewards card, Sams indeed is counted as groceries/gas.

Message 2 of 14
AvadaKedavra
Established Contributor

@Skye12329 wrote:

Well Barclay is very new account/inq sensitive. However, they are very recon friendly so sometimes that can even out. I believe for consumer initiated CLIs it's a HP. Out of all of Barclay's cards I think the SM Card is one of the more difficult ones to get.

Message 3 of 14
fot1
Established Contributor

It is $250 each for gas and groceries and $750 for bookstores( amazon) each month..

Too many to list..
Message 4 of 14
Santi78342
Established Contributor

1. It is Barclays so their normal operating procedure is still in play. As an FYI, when I applied i had 18 INQs on TU and a score of 677.

2. I was instantly approved online for $1,800 and reconned it to $5,500. They used the same HP.

3. I believe Barclays does a HP for customer initiated CLI requests but they are known for auto-luv as well.

4. No idea. But if you are referring to Cub Foods i'm sure that will be coded as a grocery store. 

5. The caps are seperate, so you get $250 for gas, $250 for groceries, and then $750 for books (including amazon)

6. You can redeem them to pay your Sallie Mae Loan, transfer to an Upromise account and as a statement credit.

Edit: Some people on this board were able to get 2 Sallie Mae's to double their caps. I hope to do this in the future.

Message 5 of 14
Skye12329
Valued Contributor

@Santi78342 wrote:

1. It is Barclays so their normal operating procedure is still in play. As an FYI, when I applied i had 18 INQs on TU and a score of 677.

2. I was instantly approved online for $1,800 and reconned it to $5,500. They used the same HP.

3. I believe Barclays does a HP for customer initiate CLI requests but they are known for auto-luv as well.

4. No idea. But if you are referring to Cub Foods i'm sure that will be coded as a grocery store. 

5. The caps are seperate, so you get $250 for gas, $250 for groceries, and then $750 for books (including amazon)

6. You can redeem them to pay your Sallie Mae Loan, transfer to an Upromise account and as a statement credit.

Thank you, currently i would use the statement credit only because i dont have an upromise nor SM loan. For some reason my school doesnt use SM, they used to before i joined. Well looks like March 2015 i will apply, my new accounts will be older and my inqs will be like 2 across Smiley Happy

BK7 - 2/21
Cap1 QS - 2k (4/21)
Mission Lane - 4k (11/21)
Venmo - 900 (11/21)
SavorOne - 2500 (12/21)
VentureOne - 2000 (7/22)
Message 6 of 14
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

Barclays uses mainly transunion.
Signature needs updating
Message 7 of 14
JediNeo
Frequent Contributor

Both Sam's club locations I've used my SM card have been classified as wearhouse and only qualify for 1% cash back. Wal-Mart and neighborhood Wal-Mart are classified as grocery/supermarket and do get 5%. Good luck with you app.

NFCU Cash Rewards | CSP | Freedom Unlimited | WalMart MC | Target Red MC | Citi Costco | AMEX BCE
Message 8 of 14
gh17
Frequent Contributor

Walmart counts for me (any purchase).  It's a super Walmart, can't speak for small ones.

BofA Cash Rewards 25,000 (2009) | Citi Double Cash 25,000 (2011) | Cap1 Quicksilver 10,000 (2013) | Discover It 31,000 (2014) | Chase Freedom 9000 (2014) | Barclaycard Rewards 25,000 (2014)

FICO: 840 Discover/Barclays/BofA TU, 869 Citi Equifax
Message 9 of 14
chalupaman
Super Contributor

Not necessarily an easy card to get IMO. Think it's easier to go with a card from Barclays with less strict requirements as a way to get your foot in the door and go from there if they don't approve the SM app even on recon.

Tradelines: Macy’s - $18k, Penfed Power Cash Rewards - $10k, Ethan Allen (TD Bank) - $5.7k, Kay Jewelers - $5.5k, Appliances Connection - $5.3k, Jared - $5.25k, Best Buy (Citi) - $5k, Dell Preferred Account - $3.5k, Samsung - $3.2k, Firestone CFNA - $3.2k, Capital One Platinum - $3k, Mercury MC - $2.25k, Williams Sonoma - $2.1k, Wayfair (Fortiva) - $2k, Amazon Store Card - $1.8k, Apple Card - $1.7k, NFCU cashRewards - $1.5k, CareCredit - $1.5k, B&H Photo - $1.5k, Adorama - $1.25k, Ebay MC - $1k, Sam’s Club MC - $1k, American Eagle - $1k, Ollo MC - $600, Mission Lane Visa - $500, NY & Company - $500, Walgreens - $500, Home Depot - $500, Target RED Card - $500, CapOne Secured MC 0 AF - $500, Penfed Overdraft LOC - $500

Current FICOS: Mid 640s-50s on all reports, Ch 7 BK D/C Aug 2019
Starting scores: EX - 534, EQ - 574, TU - 516 | Total TLs: $91k approx | Total Utilization: 17%, getting this back down
Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.