Did you mean: 

Sallie mae and inq/new accounts

tag
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

Re: Sallie mae and inq/new accounts

@dodgerslv wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

i was just wondering about Barclay Sallie Mae applications, would two new amex accounts basically shoot down any chance of getting SM card? I heard they can be quite conservative when it comes to new accounts and inquiries. Even thought inq will probably be experian, would they still not like it? I don't know if it would matter but the amex accounts would be backdated to 1995. 

i would encourage to apply for it if you really want it. I have feeling you will have no problem getting approved instantly. I will go far and say you may get a nice limit...Smiley Wink

I am reserving my next amex card to have best signup bonus, since its once an lifetime now, which is quite sad. Back to sm app its not going to happen till sept or oct, since i can hold off since i have 5% gas with both freedom and discover IT. 

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 11 of 21
hizzaah
Frequent Contributor

Sallie Mae is on my list. I tried for one before I got the Freedom and BCE, blue they weren't having it. Tried to recon 3 times and ended up with several hard pulls (the they later removed) without my knowledge. They pulled TransUnion for me and it think it was 679 at the time. On the phone they told me they needed more history but the letter cited debt to income. I plan on trying again in the future
QuickSilver - $20,000 | Amex ED $12,000 | Commence $5,000 | IT $2,200 | Freedom $2,000
Message 12 of 21
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@hizzaah wrote:
Sallie Mae is on my list. I tried for one before I got the Freedom and BCE, blue they weren't having it. Tried to recon 3 times and ended up with several hard pulls (the they later removed) without my knowledge. They pulled TransUnion for me and it think it was 679 at the time. On the phone they told me they needed more history but the letter cited debt to income. I plan on trying again in the future

I think i am going to downgrade my BCP to either Blue cash or BCE , when i app for my SM card. I think SM is the best gas groceries card out there for my spending. The 750 an month cap on amazon doesn't hurt either. My scores should be able to get me an WMC hopefully. 

Message 13 of 21
fot1
Established Contributor

@mongstradamus wrote:

@hizzaah wrote:

I think i am going to downgrade my BCP to either Blue cash or BCE , when i app for my SM card. I think SM is the best gas groceries card out there for my spending. The 750 an month cap on amazon doesn't hurt either. My scores should be able to get me an WMC hopefully. 

I use the BCE as my back up for the SM on groceries.. I love the Sm card..

Too many to list..
Message 14 of 21
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@fot1 wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

@hizzaah wrote:

I use the BCE as my back up for the SM on groceries.. I love the Sm card..

the order i am going to app is SM first , since barclays is an bit inq intensive. Then i will see what offers i can find for PRG, praying for an 50k or 75k . If i find an good offer than i will proably do prg and ED in same app. Having an MR card with no AF is pretty nice. Having two new cards with an 19 year back date isn't too shabby either :-)

Message 15 of 21
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

I did not experience any problem with Barclays last year. The Arrival was account # 6 out of total of 8 ...then I behaved a bit better  and waited 6 mo and  1 more then another 6 mo and 2 more cards. 9 of 11 accounts are less than 2 years old and Barclays was the first and only instant approval with their Sallie Mae. I just make sure after  any app to keep still for 6 months and so far managed to avoid any denials. The day with a denial will come but so far I was really luckySmiley Happy

Message 16 of 21
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@lg8302ch wrote:

I did not experience any problem with Barclays last year. The Arrival was account # 6 out of total of 8 ...then I behaved a bit better  and waited 6 mo and  1 more then another 6 mo and 2 more cards. 9 of 11 accounts are less than 2 years old and Barclays was the first and only instant approval with their Sallie Mae. I just make sure after  any app to keep still for 6 months and so far managed to avoid any denials. The day with a denial will come but so far I was really luckySmiley Happy

When i apply for SM in october should be 6 months from my CSP app. CSP app was my only app so far this year, so i hope i will be in good shape. Who knows when it comes to CC application they can be quite random at times :-)

Message 17 of 21
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@mongstradamus wrote:

I am reserving my next amex card to have best signup bonus, since its once an lifetime now, which is quite sad. Back to sm app its not going to happen till sept or oct, since i can hold off since i have 5% gas with both freedom and discover IT. 

How are you interpreting this?  Once in a lifetime on the same card certainly (so you can't get the PRG, cancel, reapply some time later and get the bonus).  In the same family?  Maybe, but evidence against this.  But not "only one bonus ever on all Amex"

Message 18 of 21
emptypockets
Valued Contributor

I was denied by Barlcay's a few months ago, due to too many recent (2) INQ's. They told me to wait 6 mos. to let new accounts age before apping again. My scores are in my signature.

To be fair, I had a decent amount of new acounts (maybe 6), but only  2 that pulled TU at the time.

CC's: AMEX (4), Alliant Visa, PenFed AMEX, Pen Fed Promise, Citi (3), Chase (5), US Bank Cash+, Huntington Voice, Nasa Plat Cash Visa, Barclay's Visa, Discover IT, Cap One QS, BOA (2), BMW Visa, 5/3 Real Life Rewards MC; FNBO Amex; Comenity Visa/MC (3), Ebates Visa Siggy, Nordstrom Visa, Walmart MC, Sam's Club MC; A few assorted store cards.

Current Scores (09/2017): EQ My Fico: 786; TU MyFico: 799; EX (My Fico): 797
Message 19 of 21
cflowers0115
Regular Contributor

Well.. I jusssttt (literally moments ago) applied and was approved with 15 inquiries (auto loan and moving mostly). TU: 682 w/ income of roughly $72,000.

Starting Scores: 8/13/18: EQ: 556 TU: 521 EX: 544
Message 20 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.