Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SallieMae Card converting to Barclays

tag
tsquad131
Frequent Contributor

SallieMae Card converting to Barclays

I just got a letter that my salliemae 2% visa is being converted to a mastercard by barclays with a new reward program 5% cashback up to $250 a month for gas and groceries and 5% cashback on books up to $750 a month. I dont spend more than this a month on either categories so it works for me. I like my fidelity 2% amex better for the everything else that doesnt have a bonus category because sallie mae required 25,000 points before you can get a 1:1 redemption otherwise its less and this new program requires only 2,500 points to redeem and the fidelity only requires 5,000 points to redeem and I have something better to use at sams club instead of my sams discover because i dont spend enough there to get to the 1% tier same with discover i only use it for bonus categories

amazon
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
jsucool76
Super Contributor

Re: SallieMae Card converting to Barclays

The 5% isnt a true 5% you get 1% on all purchases, 2% on movie theaters, 3% on exxon mobil gas, and everything above that is only with upromise affiliates, which you can see on upromise.com. certain restaurants and websites, where you get cash back anyways so long as you go through the site. With the card you just get bonus cash back.
Message 2 of 6
tsquad131
Frequent Contributor

it said on my terms 5 points per dollar for up to $250 for gas and grocery for each billing cycle never stated any of the info you posted
amazon
Message 3 of 6
tsquad131
Frequent Contributor

I just read an article on bankrate there's 2 cards they are offering a upromise card and a cash back card
amazon
Message 4 of 6
jsucool76
Super Contributor

I think you have one of the older cards, I don't think they offer that one anymore. The only sallie mae card I've been able to find is the UPromise.
Message 5 of 6
tsquad131
Frequent Contributor

yeah they dont offer it anymore, i know there was 2 different kinds of the sallie mae cards and i was only able to get the 2% one they used to have the 5% one but i wasnt able to find it at the time when i applied and i guess they are switching me now because i also googled earlier other people got letters like mine with the same rewards terms as i stated earlier just with barclays bank now starting in late october

amazon
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.