Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SallieMae rewards MC no longer offered?? NOOOOO

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

SallieMae rewards MC no longer offered?? NOOOOO

I was telling my friend about this card and how I have done so well on it but I can't seem to find
the app online anymore.

They all port you over to the Upromise card which really looks terrible IMO?

Anyone know about this?? Sorry if it was posted before. I could not find it.

PS I sure hope they dont DC this product for current users.

Message 1 of 25
24 REPLIES 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: SallieMae rewards MC no longer offered?? NOOOOO

It's been almost a year now that this card has been unavailable for new applicants, so that is nothing new.

Message 2 of 25
kdm31091
Super Contributor

You're a bit late to the party Smiley Wink The Sallie Mae has been gone for about a year now.

No word on what will happen to current users...as of now, nothing.

Message 3 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

I guess I'm late however.. for a single guy... with student loans, but some gas and beer and food
what is the next best card for them?

I saw lots of postings about it no longer being offered for new apps but what about the NEXT
best cards.. especially for amazon., gas, groceries..(cig..lotto...beer..)

Message 4 of 25
Mattopotamus
Frequent Contributor

It really is a great card for those three categories.  I hit the $250 each month, so make out nicely.  Like others said, it came and was gone pretty quickly.

Message 5 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I guess I'm late however.. for a single guy... with student loans, but some gas and beer and food

I saw lots of postings about it no longer being offered for new apps but what about the NEXT

There are some options, but it's going to be difficult to match those 3 categories at 5% on a single card.

Amazon Prime store card is 5% on Amazon, I think Amex BCP is 6% on groceries (supposedly worth the AF if you spend more than X per year), and there are quite a few 5% gas cards. PenFed Cash Rewards, for example.

Message 6 of 25
kdm31091
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Amazon is easy, there are many cards for it. Store card gives 5%, Chase Amazon 3%, Discover and or Freedom give 5% at various times during the year (historically - there's no guarantee it will continue year over year), US Bank Cash+ can select bookstores for 5% (works same way Sallie did).

There are several 5% gas cards, they are mostly CU cards and as such I don't know too much about them.

For groceries it depends where you get your groceries. If you chiefly use Target/Walmart, Amex's BCE/BCP won't be of much help since they do not consider those grocery stores. If you use "regular" grocery stores, BCP gives you 6%, with a $95 annual fee. If you spend enough on groceries, it can be worth it, but as a single guy that may not be the case. You're probably better off with a no annual fee card. Most of the others just give 2% on groceries, so may as well do a 2% on everything card. Keep it simple.

Message 7 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

I will shed a tear when the SallieMae card program gets nerfed for existing cardholders.  Sallie's been good to me (almost $1,000 in rewards in the four years I've had it).

IMO, there isn't a good single "next best" card to replace the SallieMae. Some people swear by the AmEx Blue Cash, but I haven't found that one lucrative enough to spend an inquiry on, and probably won't even when the SM goes away. YMMV. Another option might be the BofA Cash Rewards card, but 3% gas and 2% grocery seems hardly worth it when there are 2% on everything cards available. Even 3% on everything for the first year (Discover it Miles).

For gas, I see my next best as the Citi Costco Anywhere card, with 4% on gas (also gives 3% on dining and travel and 2% at Costco).
For grocery, it'll be the USBank FlexPerks Travel Visa card with 2%-4% (depending on how you redeem it) on grocery (3%-6% on Charitable giving, 2%-4% on gas, grocery or airfare, 2%-4% on cellphone charges and 1%-2% on everything else)

For Target specifically, the Target Redcard debit card, 5% discount.
For Amazon, the Chase Amazon Visa @ 3%.
For bookstores in general, the USBank Cash+ Visa, choose bookstores as a 5% category (you'll also get a second 5% category and a 2% category).
My "everything else" card is the Fidelity Visa.

Of course, gas, grocery and Amazon are favorite categories for the 5% quarterly category cards (Chase Freedom, Discover, Citi Dividend), so I'd use those first when applicable.

Chris.

Message 8 of 25
barthooper
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I will shed a tear when the SallieMae card program gets nerfed for existing cardholders.  Sallie's been good to me (almost $1,000 in rewards in the four years I've had it).

IMO, there isn't a good single "next best" card to replace the SallieMae. Some people swear by the AmEx Blue Cash, but I haven't found that one lucrative enough to spend an inquiry on, and probably won't even when the SM goes away. YMMV. Another option might be the BofA Cash Rewards card, but 3% gas and 2% grocery seems hardly worth it when there are 2% on everything cards available. Even 3% on everything for the first year (Discover it Miles).

For gas, I see my next best as the Citi Costco Anywhere card, with 4% on gas (also gives 3% on dining and travel and 2% at Costco).
For grocery, it'll be the USBank FlexPerks Travel Visa card with 2%-4% (depending on how you redeem it) on grocery (3%-6% on Charitable giving, 2%-4% on gas, grocery or airfare, 2%-4% on cellphone charges and 1%-2% on everything else)

@For Amazon, the Chase Amazon Visa @ 3%.
For bookstores in general, the USBank Cash+ Visa, choose bookstores as a 5% category (you'll also get a second 5% category and a 2% category).

Of course, gas, grocery and Amazon are favorite categories for the 5% quarterly category cards (Chase Freedom, Discover, Citi Dividend), so I'd use those first when applicable.

Chris.

I'll be right there with you. I've only had Sallie for about two and a half years but it has been very rewarding. Not too soon after having my own I got my SO to sign up and ever since we've been cleaning up on gas and grocery rewards primarily, but also Amazon. I also got a couple of friends to sign up and it's also their main cards, and even their SOs signed up as well, with a couple of those just barely getting in before it was axed for new applicants last fall.

Hopefully the year anniversary of it being closed to new applicants comes and goes without changes for existing cardholders.

Quicksilver - 16k | Discover It - 34k | Citi DC - $21k | Chase Amazon - 8k | Chase Reserve - 19.5k | Chase Preferred - 5k | EX FICO (Discover CSC) 788
Message 9 of 25
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@For Amazon, the Chase Amazon Visa @ 3%.

Chris.

If gas is a heavy spend, get a 5% card, such as Penfed Cash Rewards.  For Amazon, don't get Chase, get the 5% store card.   For Target, buy discounted target gift cards and get 8-10%    (For expensive items, probably should use a credit card though)

Message 10 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.