New Contributor
Haroon

Sally Mae Mc

Exactly how hard is it to get this card? And what do they usually pull? Also, can any one recommend any other credit cards that have a 3-5% grocery store bonus that works at Walmart?
Frequent Contributor
mauwow0682

Re: Sally Mae Mc

It's backed by Barclays and they normally use TU.

I'll let others who have been approved chime in on difficulties. You might also want to do a search because I think this has been discussed.

Starting Score: 620 FAKO
Current Score: FICO TU 715 (wal-mart) FICO EQ 692
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Established Contributor
andre181

Its a Barclaycard product so they pull TU. 

I was just approved for this card and was given a $5000 credit limit. I'm not sure what their standards are for this card but I'm guessing they are pretty stringent because of the high rewards this card offers, and because its a world mastercard, it requires a $5000+ credit limit. I'm not sure if they give a platinum version or not. 

Discover IT $25K | FNBO Visa $22K | Citi Forward $14.5K | US Bank Cash+ Visa Sig $15K | Priceline/Barclays $10K | Chase Freedom $10.5K | Amazon/Chase Visa Sig $8.3k | Citi Double Cash $6.5K | BoA Cash Rewards 1-2-3 Sig $7.5K | Sallie Mae World MC/Barclays $5K | Capital One Cash Rewards $5K | Commerce Bank $5K | WF Cash Back Visa $3.6K | Amazon/GEMB $2.5K | Younkers/Comenity $2.4K | AMEX BCE $2K Target $1K | AMEX Green
EX FICO (from AMEX): 754, TU08 FICO (from Discover): 755, AAoA: 3.6 years
Super Contributor
enharu

Haroon wrote:
Exactly how hard is it to get this card? And what do they usually pull? Also, can any one recommend any other credit cards that have a 3-5% grocery store bonus that works at Walmart?

walmart's MCC code is labelled as a discount store rather than as a grocery store from what I know, so most cards will not give 3-5% at walmart. I might be wrong though.

Like others said, it is issued by Barclays.

If you could tell us more about your CR, we can somewhat try to help estimate your odds.

This card is about as hard as any other unsecured card from prime lenders, I would say.  If they decide to give you a CL that is below 5k, you will get the platinum MC as opposed to world MC, and some benefits will be different.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Regular Contributor
cableguy123

I get 5% off at walmart with this card! But then again mine was a Sallie Mae conversion

Frequent Contributor
b_seeker

cableguy123 wrote:

I get 5% off at walmart with this card! But then again mine was a Sallie Mae conversion

Really? That seems odd. I thought MC/Visa always classified Walmart differently. . . I know Amex gives the grocery bonus at a Meijer, so if you have them in your area they are basically a differently named Walmart (better, IMO). Not sure what they classify Walmart but apparently they frown upon that or something anyway.

|| Barclaycard Rewards Visa $5500 || AMEX BCE $2000 || Discover IT $3000 || Amazon Rewards Visa $1800 ||
|| Chase Freedom $2700 || CSP $5000 || Chase Marriott Premier $7500 || Sallie Mae MC $3800 ||

FICO Scores: EX 752 (3/13/13) || EQ 782 (10/4/13) || TU 724 (1/18/13)

In the garden as of 10/12/2013
Super Contributor
longtimelurker

It appears to vary by Walmart (superstore or neighborhood store etc).  Looking at

http://visa.via.infonow.net/locator/usa/supplier/NewSearch.do

searching for Walmart's near me, many are classified as

DISCOUNT STORES/WAREHOUSE/WHOLESALE 5310

but some appear as:

GROCERY STORES/SUPERMARKETS/BAKERIES 5411

and these would get the discount

Valued Contributor
Gunnar419

Yes, they pull TU when you app. But when I reconned for a higher limit after being approved, they SP'd Experian for that.

You do need decent credit to get this card, and Barclays is notoriously leery of customers who have either opened several new accounts before applying or who open new accounts after being approved.

If you are not approved for the World MC version, they may give you a Signature version with a lower credit limit.

Regarding Walmart, superstores are coded as grocery stores; smaller Walmarts aren't.

It's a great card and I love their online interface. Reward points are given immediately, as soon as a transaction posts, which is also a nice feature.

Regular Contributor
vagrants

b_seeker wrote:

cableguy123 wrote:

Really? That seems odd. I thought MC/Visa always classified Walmart differently. . . I know Amex gives the grocery bonus at a Meijer, so if you have them in your area they are basically a differently named Walmart (better, IMO). Not sure what they classify Walmart but apparently they frown upon that or something anyway.

Around here, all the WalMarts are coded 5411, the grocery. That goes to Target as well (tried and got 5%). I use the Sally to get Walmart gift card then hit Sam's club to get the 5% all the time. While ago (2 yrs or more...I think), I heard that Super WalMarts did not get the grocery coding but local neighborhood WalMarts did...so as another member said, may be dependent on where one lives still. The WalMart I use frequently is Super though.

AMEX CashRebate, AMEX Blue Cash, AMEX BCP, Barclay Sallie Mae Plat MC, Capital One QuickSilver VISA Sig, Capital One QuickSilver World MC (no AF), Chase Freedom World MC, Chase Freedom VISA Sig, Chase Ink Bold World Elite MC, Citi Dividend AMEX/World MC; Citi Hilton VISA Sig, Discover More, Fidelity AMEX, MyPoints Rewards VISA, US Bank Cash+ VISA Sig(1), US Bank Cash+ VISA Sig(2)
New Contributor
Haroon

It's my understanding that mc uses different merchant codes and counts all walmarts as grocery stores. So this card works but bce and most others would not.

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}