Tracey222

Sam Clubs Credit

I purchased a TV this weekend and will pay it off by Friday my question is will my score drop because of this purchase even if im paying it back five days later. My credit limit is $1,500 and the TV was $650.00.Is there a certain time that i should pay it off without it affecting my credit?
Valued Contributor
mjbfan79

Re: Sam Clubs Credit

PIF if you can before you statement cut's

Starting Score 3-31-08: EQ 582 TU 577 EX 625
Current Score 3-19-10: EQ 703 TU 712 EX No Clue
Goal Score: 800 By January Of 2012

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Established Contributor

Re: Sam Clubs Credit

Tracey222 wrote:
I purchased a TV this weekend and will pay it off by Friday

My credit limit is $1,500 and the TV was $650.00.Is there a certain time that i should pay it off without it affecting my credit?

As has been mentioned your score shouldn't go down if you PIF before the statement drops. You might have a good opportunity to receive a credit line increase.

If you make another purchase before PIFing, so that your balance is greater than 50% of your credit limit, GEMB might increase your credit limit without you requesting it. Do you have $150 in purchases that you might normally make next month? Would you still have time to pay $800 in full before the statement drops? If so you could very well get your CL bumped to $2,000 or higher. :smileywink:

Even if you don't make an additional purchase and receive an unsolicited CLI, you can still call GEMB after you PIF and explain that you don't like to go over 50% utility. You might have bought a more expensive TV if your credit limit was higher. You could then ask if you could have a no hard pull CLI so that you can make larger purchases in the future.

My first CLI with Sam's was obtained without asking after charging more than 50% of my CL.

My next three CLIs were were obtained after charging more than 50% utility and PIFing before the statement dropped. On all three of those occasions I was granted a CLI upon request, I used the "not wanting to use more than 50% of my Credit Limit" excuse. It wasn't actually an excuse. It was in fact the truth. I explained that I PIFed before the statement dropped to avoid a greater than 50% utility report to my credit files.

Of course you might not desire a CLI. I just thought I would point out that if $650 is the highest balance you have ever had with Sam's, you might get a CLI as a reward for buying the TV. :smileyhappy:

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+