Did you mean: 

Sam's Club card

tag
UncleB
Credit Mentor

Re: Sam's Club card

@core wrote:

@UncleB wrote:
I might just have to buy some fuel injector cleaner or a bag of ice and see what happens... Smiley Wink

Injector cleaner? Ice?? What's wrong with you, man?  That's why they invented 40oz beers.  So you can make test purchases on your new gas card and have something to drink on the way home too.

At any rate, I'm now fairly satisfied the gas purchases will work the way I want them to, so I'll be applying for the card just as soon as I can find a good promo code for a Sam's membership.  Not really wanting to drive 50 miles just to apply for a credit card so I may have to give up the "generous" $20 bonus.  And I'm assuming there's nothing I can buy online for $50 that doesn't cost shipping (or that's easily gotten rid of).

+1  Smiley LOL

Making your first purchase to get the $20 won't be too hard.  They have many items that have free shipping (I got a couple of multi-packs of Nexium) but they also sell various gift cards at a slight discount that would do the trick (also free shipping).  Just make sure the purchase is made the same day the account is opened... they tried to give me a hard time about that, but I had order numbers, email confirmation etc. so after a couple of secure messages they relented.  I agree, it's only $20, but those tend to add up quickly!

Also, this was a bit confusing to me, but after my account was approved the approval message stated that I needed to go to a club location within three days (IIRC) to get my picture made, but then a few minutes later I got an email welcoming me to Sam's Club Credit, and it stated that my new card would be "delivered within 7-10 days", so I have no idea when the 'clock' really started on the delivery of the card. 

I did go have my picture made a couple of days later, and when I got my card it did have a very small (as in, thumb-nail) size color picture on the back, but you can't reasonably tell it's even me... LOL.  Years ago the picture was quite large and took up nearly a third of the card, but not anymore.  Also, when you have your picture made they will give you a temporary card, but it's only good at Sam's Club (it's not a MasterCard) and the customer rep told me it would only work at that specific location (which was OK, but seemed odd).  Perhaps she simply meant that it wouldn't work at Wal-Mart next door?  Anyway, the 'real' card came within a week or so, so it wasn't a problem.

If someone had told me a few months ago that my favorite card would soon be a Synchrony MasterCard, I would have been quite confused... LOL.  I have been putting $1k+ on it each month (and PIF) so the rewards are adding up nicely, and they rewarded me with a nice CLI back in November (I got the card in August).  I normally like to slowly 'break in' my new accounts, but this time I had a hotel bill ready to be paid, so going against best-practices my second purchase on the new account was for $900+, and they didn't flinch - it just worked.  Now that size transaction is routine (along with lots of little fast food charges), and it's never a problem.  If they keep this up, we'll get along just fine... Smiley Very Happy

Message 21 of 24
core
Valued Contributor

PICTURE, what???  Are you serious, you can't even get the Mastercard without driving to the store and posing in front of a freaking camera?  I guess I'm going to find out what happens if you don't show up.  They sure don't seem to like to make things convenient, do they.  Will cost me the $20 bonus in gasoline just to get there.  And core's do not like cameras.

Message 22 of 24
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@UncleB wrote:

@core wrote:

@UncleB wrote:

It depends on how the store codes their indoor purchases, so there's really no way to know.

Well what I'm asking is are you supposed to get credit when paying inside.  Sure, some gas stations code their inside purchases as 5542 Automated Fuel Dispensers too, but those are rare beasts.  I just mean normal/most gas stations; do the Sam's terms say pay-at-pump only.  Chase, Discover, and Fort Knox pay out on 5541 Gas Stations _and_ 5542, whereas Penfed for example is 5542 only.  Ttheir actual terms for gas purchases aren't too well described on the site... usually that means you're good to go I guess.

The fine print specifies 'gas purchases'... so ideally (if it were perfect) you would get 5% back on fuel purchased regardless of where you pay (inside versus at the pump).  My small purchase last month will be a 'learning experience' but again, even if they did give me 5% at that one station it could (and does) vary from location to location.  That being said, I fully expect it to pay 5% if the store is indeed 5541 (I agree, 5542 for inside purchases would, indeed, be a rare beast).  Since my fuel is always purchased at one station (Kroger) I don't have any other data points to add (yet).

I'm with you... I wish there was a better way to know without having to 'try and see' each time, but "it is what it is..."

I know it's been well over a week, but I found some information that might clarify how Sam's treats pay at the pump versus paying inside.  As I mentioned before, I made a transaction indoors at a Racetrac over the holidays, so once my statement generates I'll have first-hand knowledge. (I'll know around the 23rd.)

This is from the website once you're logged in to your account:

5% CASH BACK ON FUEL AT SAM'S CLUB® AND GAS STATIONS
The terms of the "How to Earn Cash Back with Your Sam's Club MasterCard®" rewards program state:

"For each Reward Period, you will earn 5% Cash Back on your first $6,000 spent on Eligible Purchases of fuel at U.S. and Puerto Rico Sam's Club and Walmart® fuel stations, and at Gas Stations located in the U.S. and Puerto Rico (excluding fuel stations located at or that are part of warehouse clubs and certain supercenters and supermarkets). Thereafter you'll earn 1% on these purchases for the remainder of that Reward Period. "Gas Stations" are generally merchants identified by their MCC as "Service Stations" or "Automated Fuel Dispensers". Gas Stations do not include merchants of aviation or other non-automotive fuels."

Please note: The warehouse clubs, supercenters and supermarkets that are excluded from the 5% Cash Back (but where you will still earn 1% Cash Back) are: Costco, BJs, HEB, Kroger, Meijer, and Publix.

I'll also mention again that I've found the exclusions to be less than precise, since when I pay at the pump at my local Kroger, I have been getting 5%, so YMMV.  Smiley Very Happy

Message 23 of 24
core
Valued Contributor

Thanks UncleB!  That definitely answers it for me then.  I'll be picking up this card in early Feb (assuming they will take me).

They say non-automotive fuel doesn't count but there's no way they can enforce that if the MCC is one of the two mentioned.    Specifically off-road diesel... it's handy around the farm and also for setting things on fire.   Next I'd like to find a credit card that allows aviation fuel purchases for the 5%.   Since nobody around here sells kerosene anymore, I often have to go to the airport and buy jet fuel instead.

Message 24 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.