Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sam's Club doesn't accept Visa credit cards

tag
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

Sam's Club doesn't accept Visa credit cards

Awhile back BoA offered to upgrade my run of the mill Visa account to a 1-2-3 Signature Visa card and I decided to go ahead and try it. Today I tried to use it at Sam's and was told that they would take a Visa debit card or a Mastercard credit card or a Discover card but not a Visa credit card.

I guess I lead a sheltered life because I didn't think there was anyone who didn't take Visa credit cards. 

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 3/11 pulled by lender- 835, EQ - 2/11-816, TU - 2/11-782

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Message 1 of 50
49 REPLIES 49
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Re: Sam's Club doesn't accept Visa credit cards

I thought they had changed that. I guess not.

They take VISA debit, but not credit cards? Weird...

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 2 of 50
CS800
Super Contributor

@MarineVietVet wrote:

Awhile back BoA offered to upgrade my run of the mill Visa account to a 1-2-3 Signature Visa card and I decided to go ahead and try it. Today I tried to use it at Sam's and was told that they would take a Visa debit card or a Mastercard credit card or a Discover card but not a Visa credit card.

I guess I lead a sheltered life because I didn't think there was anyone who didn't take Visa credit cards. 

Are you serious?

Do they take AMEX? I'm sure AMEX charges them more per transactions too.

Maybe they eventually want their customers to have their store cards and that's their way of slowly pushing it in?

Message 3 of 50
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@haulingthescoreup wrote:

I thought they had changed that. I guess not.

They take VISA debit, but not credit cards? Weird...

I believe those were the exact words but I was so stunned to be turned down that I could be in error.

And the check out lady could have been wrong.

From a BK years ago to:

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Message 4 of 50
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@CS800 wrote:

Are you serious?

Do they take AMEX? I'm sure AMEX charges them more per transactions too.

Maybe they eventually want their customers to have their store cards and that's their way of slowly pushing it in?

I don't know if they do or not. As per my answer to HTSU above I was not thinking too clearly after being told my puny Visa was not good enough!!  LOL

From a BK years ago to:

Message 5 of 50
nada9188
Frequent Contributor

Sam's club accepts Visa as debit, master card and discover as credit. They do not accept Amex as Costco has an agreement with them. And yes, Sam's Club pushes their store cards pretty harshly. 

Supposedly Discover does not charge them fees, which is possible because if you read the fine print one does not earn their regular cash back rate at wholesale clubs. As far as Mastercard I don't know. 

The fees Visa credit cards charge are too high to incorporate into their "wholesale" merchandise sales. Though the Walton's hold 25% of this countries wealth, we can clearly see that taking Visa would break the bank. 

Interesting fact: you can run a personal Visa debit card as credit at Sam's Club, but not a business debit card. 

Message 6 of 50
lithium78
Established Contributor

You can't use visa at Walmart or Sam's club because visa wouldn't give them a special lower interchange rate. You can only use discover or MasterCard at Walmart of Sam's club. Or you can use their store card.

Starting Score: TU: 566
Current Score: TU: 741 (Discover FICO); EQ: 755 (MyFico) EX: 774 (FAKO)
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 7 of 50
CS800
Super Contributor

@lithium78 wrote:
You can't use visa at Walmart or Sam's club because visa wouldn't give them a special lower interchange rate. You can only use discover or MasterCard at Walmart of Sam's club. Or you can use their store card.

You know i have to check but im pretty sure that I used my Chase Freedom at Wally's not long ago.

Message 8 of 50
lithium78
Established Contributor

@CS800 wrote:

@lithium78 wrote:

You know i have to check but im pretty sure that I used my Chase Freedom at Wally's not long ago.

Isn't Chase Freedom a MasterCard?

Starting Score: TU: 566
Current Score: TU: 741 (Discover FICO); EQ: 755 (MyFico) EX: 774 (FAKO)
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 9 of 50
mrmagic9799
Regular Contributor

@lithium78 wrote:
Wal-Mart DOES take Visa...
Message 10 of 50
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.