Did you mean: 

Sam's Club doesn't accept Visa credit cards

tag
teenastie
Established Contributor

Re: Sam's Club doesn't accept Visa credit cards

@MarineVietVet wrote:

@teenastie wrote:

MVV the next time you go to Sams by every register is a (usually laminated) form that shows all acceptable forms of payments. They even have pictures for those who can't read english. You will see they accept All debit cards, WM cards, WM gift cards, Discover, MCs, Cash and checks! Smiley Happy

We usually shop there several times a month. Next time we're there I will try and remember to check.

*Bump*

MVV any confirmation on your end?

Message 41 of 50
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@teenastie wrote:

*Bump*

MVV and confirmation on your end?

No we haven't been back yet to confirm any of this.

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 3/11 pulled by lender- 835, EQ - 2/11-816, TU - 2/11-782

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Message 42 of 50
teenastie
Established Contributor

Message 43 of 50
Anonymous
Not applicable

@lithium78 wrote:

I guess Walmart must have solved their dispute with Visa at some point.  For a long time, they wouldn't accept Visa, because Visa wouldn't give them a special interchange fee like Discover and MasterCard.

I've been using a Visa credit card at Walmart off and on for about 5 years now.

@MarineVietVet wrote:

I must say the opinions have run the entire gamut haven't they?

As I said the check out clerk could very well have been wrong. Perhaps her training wasn't as complete as it could have been. Or she was sleeping the day they went over accepted forms of payment.

From a BK years ago to:

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

I learned this the hard way.  I went there one day to sign up for membership and tried to pay the fee with Chase Freedom visa (the only card I had with me that day) only to find that they don't accept visa credit.  Talk about a waste of time standing in line and going through the whole process only to be denied.

@nada9188 wrote:

Easiest way around the Sam's club CC policy:

Go to walmart and buy a gift card for any amount and pay with your Visa or Amex. Walmart giftcards can be redeemed at Sam's Club.

Does this still work?  And is Walmart a "department store"?  I've been going to Costco but I'd like to get a Sam's Club membership if I can somehow run the purchases through BCE for an extra bonus.

Message 44 of 50
Anonymous
Not applicable

@MarineVietVet wrote:

@haulingthescoreup wrote:

I thought they had changed that. I guess not.

They take VISA debit, but not credit cards? Weird...

I believe those were the exact words but I was so stunned to be turned down that I could be in error.

And the check out lady could have been wrong.

From a BK years ago to:

These big wholesale clubs do not accept all CC as per me knowledge. I had Costco membership before and they only accepted Amex or Cash or Check or debit cards (same as cash). No Visa, No MC or No Discover.

I am not sure but i've heard that Sams club accepts only Discover so they might accept debit cards as a form of cash.

Message 45 of 50
Anonymous
Not applicable

@lithium78 wrote:
You can't use visa at Walmart or Sam's club because visa wouldn't give them a special lower interchange rate. You can only use discover or MasterCard at Walmart of Sam's club. Or you can use their store card.

Walmarts here in my area accepts all CCs

Message 46 of 50
cahiatt
Contributor

Is this a universal policy or do some Sam's Club stores in certain states accept Visa credit cards? I ask as I use the fuel pumps at a Sam's Club in Doral, FL every week and I use my Visa credit card. It is not a debit card. Or do they have different policy for fuel VS in store purchases?

Starting Score: 594 (Dec 10, 2010)
Score: 758 (March, 2013
Goal Score: 730 on all (by end of 2012)

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 47 of 50
nada9188
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@lithium78 wrote:

I guess Walmart must have solved their dispute with Visa at some point.  For a long time, they wouldn't accept Visa, because Visa wouldn't give them a special interchange fee like Discover and MasterCard.

I've been using a Visa credit card at Walmart off and on for about 5 years now.

@MarineVietVet wrote:

I must say the opinions have run the entire gamut haven't they?

As I said the check out clerk could very well have been wrong. Perhaps her training wasn't as complete as it could have been. Or she was sleeping the day they went over accepted forms of payment.

From a BK years ago to:

I learned this the hard way.  I went there one day to sign up for membership and tried to pay the fee with Chase Freedom visa (the only card I had with me that day) only to find that they don't accept visa credit.  Talk about a waste of time standing in line and going through the whole process only to be denied.

@nada9188 wrote:

Easiest way around the Sam's club CC policy:

Go to walmart and buy a gift card for any amount and pay with your Visa or Amex. Walmart giftcards can be redeemed at Sam's Club.

Does this still work?  And is Walmart a "department store"?  I've been going to Costco but I'd like to get a Sam's Club membership if I can somehow run the purchases through BCE for an extra bonus.

Yes it works I see it done all the time. However, Wal-mart is considered a discount store therefore you will only earn 1% on your BCE. As to my knowledge you get 1% at costco with Amex so it would be a wash and a pain. 

Message 48 of 50
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for the picture teenastie clearly showing that Sam's doesn't accept Visa. Smiley Happy 

Message 49 of 50
nomoore
Contributor

@haulingthescoreup wrote:

I thought they had changed that. I guess not.

They take VISA debit, but not credit cards? Weird...

Wal-mart did something similar a few years back. They would accept MC credit cards but not sig based credit transactions on MC debit cards. You could still use the MC debit card for a debit transaction (pin based).

@I stopped shopping at Wal-Mart for years because of that. It was the stupidest thing I had ever heard. I thought the cashier was crazy until I got to work (IT @ a credit union) and asked about it. My co-workers confirmed that this was indeed the case. They didn't keep it that way for long though.

Open Credit Cards:   Target Visa/5900CL    |    AMEX BCP/6000CL
Latest Credit Scores:   780 TU (2011-08-01)
Credit Score History:   708 EQ (2011-07-01)    |    682 TU (2011-06-30)    |    693 EQ (2010-05-21)
Message 50 of 50
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.