Sam's Club doesn't accept Visa credit cards

tag
CS800
Super Contributor

Re: Sam's Club doesn't accept Visa credit cards

@lithium78 wrote:

Isn't Chase Freedom a MasterCard?

Mine is a Visa

And I just checked my Freedom statement and I dont have any WM transaction on it. Not sure why I'm thinking I used a Visa there; maybe my Visa debit in which case it would make sense.

Message 11 of 50
teenastie
Established Contributor

You CAN use Visa and any other CC at Walmart. In an effort to compete with Costco, Sams Club exclusively accepts Discover, Walmart, and MC Credit cards. Visa is fine if you are using debit function. 

Also,

Sams Club gas accepts Visa credit cards but do NOT accept Amex in any form or fashion.

Message 12 of 50
teenastie
Established Contributor

@CS800 wrote:

@lithium78 wrote:

Isn't Chase Freedom a MasterCard?

Mine is a Visa

And I just checked my Freedom statement and I dont have any WM transaction on it. Not sure why I'm thinking I used a Visa there; maybe my Visa debit in which case it would make sense.

It is only considered Debit if you use your pin number. If you sign for your transactions then it is most assuredly a credit transaction.

Message 13 of 50
JustMe77
Frequent Contributor

Never been to Sam's Club, but Costco only takes debit cards (including Visa/MasterCard debit cards) and American Express. They won't take any credit card other than American Express. Not surprised that Sam's Club has similar restrictions. Probably keeps costs down (or profits up, lol).

Current Cards: Banana Republic Visa ($5,300), Chase Freedom ($2,000), Discover It ($11,500), Amex Costco True Earnings ($5,000), Chase Slate ($2,500)
Message 14 of 50
CS800
Super Contributor

@teenastie wrote:

It is only considered Debit if you use your pin number. If you sign for your transactions then it is most assuredly a credit transaction.

I'm sure if i used my debit there, i ran it as credit since i always do. I rarely try to plug my pin number while being starred by the next person next to me

Message 15 of 50
lithium78
Established Contributor

I do know that the only warehouse club that accepts Visa is BJ's Wholesale Club, but I'm not sure if that's a national chain.

Starting Score: TU: 566
Current Score: TU: 741 (Discover FICO); EQ: 755 (MyFico) EX: 774 (FAKO)
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 16 of 50
CS800
Super Contributor

I'm going to WM tomorrow, I will see what they accept. I will run something through my Freedom Visa

Message 17 of 50
Mike360
Frequent Contributor

No idea where you got the Walmart doesn't take Visa but they took mine today. Chase Freedom has both a Visa and a Mastercard

Message 18 of 50
lithium78
Established Contributor

I guess Walmart must have solved their dispute with Visa at some point.  For a long time, they wouldn't accept Visa, because Visa wouldn't give them a special interchange fee like Discover and MasterCard.

Starting Score: TU: 566
Current Score: TU: 741 (Discover FICO); EQ: 755 (MyFico) EX: 774 (FAKO)
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 19 of 50
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

I must say the opinions have run the entire gamut haven't they?

As I said the check out clerk could very well have been wrong. Perhaps her training wasn't as complete as it could have been. Or she was sleeping the day they went over accepted forms of payment.

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 3/11 pulled by lender- 835, EQ - 2/11-816, TU - 2/11-782

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Message 20 of 50
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.