Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sam's MasterCard needs to update card exclusions

tag
UncleB
Credit Mentor

Re: Sam's MasterCard needs to update card exclusions

@Anonymous wrote:

Agreed---the Sam's Club takes care of a lot of categories with just one card.   Plus it also doubles as your membership card so no additional room taken up in your wallet.

Yep, it sure does.  And, here's a helpful hint for those who go through the self-checkout at Sam's Club and have the MasterCard, but plan to use another method for paying...

The screen will tell you to "swipe or insert your card" to get started (and if you swipe it, it will make you insert it even if you're not using it to pay).  Ignore this - simply wave the back of the card over the bar code scanner (or scan using the hand-scanner) and it will pick up your membership number by reading the small bar code on the back of the card. 

The screen does not tell you that you can scan the card, but it does work.  I first tried this on a 'hunch' after seeing one of the cashiers do this instead of swiping/inserting, and now I do it every time.  It's a bit less cumbersome (and a slightly quicker) than fumbling with that chip reader, just to have to remove the card and stick another one in the slot a few seconds later to pay.

Message 11 of 20
baller4life
Super Contributor

Thanks for the tidbit UncleB!😉
Message 12 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Kroger's is back with 4x fuel on gift cards.

1000 fuel point with $250 giftcard.
Take 3 cars to Kroger's gas station and use your Sam's MC.

That's $35 + 5% Sam's MC + 6% bcp
Close to 70% off your fuel purchase
Message 13 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

UncleB wrote:

I'll also add that at this same Kroger, I only get 1% back when using my BCP, so we know Amex is 'on the ball'.  Smiley Frustrated

True- many cards like Amex BCP will not allow the 6% at these places. Sounds as if Sam's Mastercard only allows it at certain Kroger stores for 5%, and other Kroger locations at 1%- even though their terms and conditions say all Kroger locations are only 1% cash back! Funny. Smiley Happy

Message 14 of 20
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

Yep, I always take advantage of the 4x fuel points! Smiley Very Happy

I had a digital coupon for GCs last week that I used to get my points for December, and I'm hoping the current promo last until the first days of December so I can get my January points (they are good for the current month and the following month).  They seem to run that promo about every five to six weeks... actually, this past year I got a full $1 off each gallon each time I've bought gas except for one month... which saved $18-$20 per fill up.  (Once last spring, using fuel points - and not including the BCP discount - I was able to get gas for 95¢ per gallon... it reminded me of the old days!)

Just a note... you can't get the Sam's MC 5% and the BCP 6% at the same time... it's either/or.  If you use the Sam's MC to pay you would get 5%, or you could use a Kroger GC purchased inside the store with the BCP to get 6% (which is what I've been doing the last few months).  Smiley Wink

Message 15 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

@UncleB wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I had a digital coupon for GCs last week that I used to get my points for December, and I'm hoping the current promo last until the first days of December so I can get my January points (they are good for the current month and the following month).  They seem to run that promo about every five to six weeks... actually, this past year I got a full $1 off each gallon each time I've bought gas except for one month... which saved $18-$20 per fill up.  (Once last spring, using fuel points - and not including the BCP discount - I was able to get gas for 95¢ per gallon... it reminded me of the old days!)

Just a note... you can't get the Sam's MC 5% and the BCP 6% at the same time... it's either/or.  If you use the Sam's MC to pay you would get 5%, or you could use a Kroger GC purchased inside the store with the BCP to get 6% (which is what I've been doing the last few months).  Smiley Wink

??

bcp 6% when u buy the gift card and SAMs 5% when you fill up.

Message 16 of 20
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

@UncleB wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

??

But when you fill up, you can use the Kroger gift card to pay, or the Sam's Club MC to pay, but not both.  Smiley Wink

Message 17 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

@UncleB wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@UncleB wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

??

But when you fill up, you can use the Kroger gift card to pay, or the Sam's Club MC to pay, but not both.  Smiley Wink

Oh, I use SAMs mc of course.

Message 18 of 20
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

BCP at grocery store all the way. Smiley Wink
Signature needs updating
Message 19 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

@UncleB wrote:

Just to add a data point, back in September I paid for my gas at Kroger with my Sam's Club MasterCard and I got the 5% cash back as well... it was easy to see because that transaction was my only gas purchase for the billing cycle.

I agree that it would be nice if they would update the information, but it would be my luck that instead of updating the exclusions they would 'fix' whatever was allowing Kroger to count toward the 5%... so I'm keeping my mouth shut!  LOL  Smiley Surprised

I'll also add that at this same Kroger, I only get 1% back when using my BCP, so we know Amex is 'on the ball'.  Smiley Frustrated

I'm in the habit of loading a Kroger GC inside the grocery store with my BCP (to get 6% cash back) then using that GC to pay at the pump, so it'll be a little while longer before I start using Sam's at the pump exclusively (got to spend down the GC).  But once the GC is gone, I'll likely be using the Sam's for my Kroger fuel purchases as well.  It's really cool getting 5% cash back in addition to $1 off each gallon using Fuel Points!  Smiley Very Happy

I'm with you UncleB!

Message 20 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.