Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sam's Store - Closed Inactivity

tag
austinguy907
Valued Contributor

Sam's Store - Closed Inactivity

So, this morning I got an alert from Quizzle (Equifax monitoring) that my account had been closed due to inactivity for the in store card.  It's fine but, just wanted to let people know that this can happen if you don't use it.  I had last used it 10/2013 so, 21 months seems to be the limit of time to not use it if you want to keep it.  In 6/2013 though I opened a Sam's MC account because they wouldn't upgrade the existing account and kept both of them even though the store one ended up in a drawer with other unused cards within a couple of months.  So, I lost 10K in spending ability on my CR's but, since it wasn't showing activity I'm sure this won't affect things too much score wise.

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Sam's Store - Closed Inactivity

Sorry to hear and thanks for the heads up..

Message 2 of 8
kdm31091
Super Contributor

If you want to keep a card active most people suggest at least a charge every 6 months. 3 months is probably even better. Almost 2 years is too long. Oh well. You don't seem too upset about it.

Message 3 of 8
austinguy907
Valued Contributor

If it was dual branded like the MC it wouldn't have been an issue to charge it every few months.  I just didn't carry the "store" version with me with the dual membership / MC one on me all the time.  I'll rotate my others through bills like cable, electric, etc. every few months.  The MC has good rewards on it though and I simply replaced it this morning with an app to Discover for an instant approval of about 1/2 the CL of this useless piece of plastic.  So, it triggered and app / approval for a better and more useful card in the end.  

Message 4 of 8
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

It's a loss of UTIL padding, but at least it won't affect AAoA for ~10 years.   I think they left it open for a good amount of time.

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 5 of 8
Existentialist
Frequent Contributor

Dont hav Sams (anymore) but still good info - thanx for passing along.

Message 6 of 8
taxi818
Super Contributor

Sorry op. But i don't see why you are suprised. It cost them money to report every month and maintain the account and if you are not using. It has nothing to do with sams. Any card will close it. im surprised they left it open that long. many will do after 12 months. 21 months is exceptional. However. I am testing macys. As i know for sure my mom has not used it since 1998. 17 years and it is stil reporting. So far ive not used it in 9 mnths. no problems as of yet. store card like you. I do have an Amex version of macys as well. i use that. but i could care less if they close it. it has 1200 limit. hope you can make up the limit with another card somewhere.

Message 7 of 8
Kostya1992
Established Contributor

I'm pretty sure ours wasn't used in 3-4 years and it wasn't closed.

TU08 FICO850
EX08 FICO850
EQ08 FICO850

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.