cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sams Club Credit Upgrade Possible to Mastercard?

tag
MyDataMyChoice
Valued Contributor

Anyone know how or if it is possible to upgrade to the mastercard?

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
joedtx
Valued Contributor

Re: Sams Club Credit Upgrade Possible to Mastercard?

I might be wrong but I believe it's by invitation, it is a FANTASTIC card if you can get it.

Message 2 of 9
ecxpa
Valued Contributor

I had the store card for about 6 mos then applied and got the mastercard also; same think happened with Wal-Mart.  Some here say you can't have both but I do.

Message 3 of 9
joedtx
Valued Contributor

Take it if you can get it, they offer 5% back on fuel.

Message 4 of 9
lsutigers
Contributor

Im still awaiting the invite! With my Walmart and JC Penney's they upgraded after 12 months but not the case with same....
Message 5 of 9
lsutigers
Contributor

Sam's*
Message 6 of 9
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@ecxpa wrote:

I had the store card for about 6 mos then applied and got the mastercard also; same think happened with Wal-Mart.  Some here say you can't have both but I do.

OP, if you are not offered the Sam's Club MC as an invite, then it might be risky to apply again to see if you land the MC version.  The clue for you would be, if you just recently got approved for the Walmart store version, then you likely may get another Sam's Club store card (yes, two store cards!).  There are folks who have jumped the gun too early in the hopes of having the MC, but failed.  Wait until your overall profile improves and/or for the MC invitation at some point.  

Message 7 of 9
austinguy907
Valued Contributor

i went through this awhile back with talking to them on the phone and they refused to upgrade but, insisted on applying for a new account.  i walked in and did so and got an instant approval for the MC for $4400 and within 3-4 months they bumped it up to 10K and just recently got another small auto bump to 11K.  i don't get why they do the things they do but, i managed to keep my maxed CL on the store side and exceed the CL on the MC account.  so, i have 2 cards / accounts now for over 20K combined for a super bowl party or something.  lately it's been used mostly for relocation expenses for easier tracking come tax time.  5% gas / 3% travel and rest's / 1% everything else.

Message 8 of 9
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@austinguy907 wrote:

i went through this awhile back with talking to them on the phone and they refused to upgrade but, insisted on applying for a new account.  i walked in and did so and got an instant approval for the MC for $4400 and within 3-4 months they bumped it up to 10K and just recently got another small auto bump to 11K.  i don't get why they do the things they do but, i managed to keep my maxed CL on the store side and exceed the CL on the MC account.  so, i have 2 cards / accounts now for over 20K combined for a super bowl party or something.  lately it's been used mostly for relocation expenses for easier tracking come tax time.  5% gas / 3% travel and rest's / 1% everything else.

Just for clarification, it is not that they "refuse" - it's a matter of the account not being elegible for the upgrade.  Typically, you either get the MC or Visa or the store version.  Case in point, if your profile would've been ideal 4 months before obtaining the Sam's MC, then you would've been approved for the MC from the get-go, not the store card.  Eventually, you qualified later for the MC, but then you now have two of the same products vs one.  For some, this may work, but others would prefer to receive the upgrade or be approved from the get-go for the dual/co-branded card.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.