Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sapphire Preferred 0% BT offers

tag
Ghoshida
Valued Contributor

Re: Sapphire Preferred 0% BT offers

@Ghoshida wrote:

I seem to have these offers on my online CSP account. Not sure if using them will automatically eliminate my grace period. For BT, I use either Cap One or Barclays who have a clear policy of not eliminating the grace period if the interest saver payment is made by the due date. Since my QS is getting limited use these days, BTs may keep the account rolling Smiley Happy

0% APR through billing cycle ending in 06/2017. Additional terms apply. The balance transfer fee is 2% of the amount transferred with a minimum of $5. Respond by: 4/30/16.

I have the same offer on my Freedom as well. 

Just sent a message to Chase asking them if they have an "interest-saver" payment option that prevents interest from being accrued on new purchases while the 0% BT balance is being carried. None of my Chase cards have any 0% purchase promo. 

Message 11 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

I agree: it's fine for short periods when dining is a bonus category on another card or something, and in an emergency of course. But losing the ability to use my CSP for a full year because I want some cash is unappealing. Other cards will usually have BT options.
Message 12 of 17
Ghoshida
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I agree: it's fine for short periods when dining is a bonus category on another card or something, and in an emergency of course. But losing the ability to use my CSP for a full year because I want some cash is unappealing. Other cards will usually have BT options.

Yes; Chase replied saying using BT effectively removes any grace period. That sucks. Cap One / Barclays allows BT + grace period. 

Now I think someone (was it NRB?) mentioned something about Blueprint, but I couldn't figure out how it can help avoid interest while a 0% BT was running. 

Message 13 of 17
NRB525
Super Contributor

@Ghoshida wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Yes; Chase replied saying using BT effectively removes any grace period. That sucks. Cap One / Barclays allows BT + grace period. 

Now I think someone (was it NRB?) mentioned something about Blueprint, but I couldn't figure out how it can help avoid interest while a 0% BT was running. 

Thank you. I keep repeating this fact, but nobody wants to listen Smiley Happy

With Chase Blueprint, you can have a BT working And Use The Card For Regular Purchases.

Set up autopayment with Minimum Payment. Set up Blueprint to do the Full Pay option, select all categories in the Full Pay. As new charges are added, they are added to the minimum payment. YOU PAY NO INTEREST ON THE NEW CHARGES. Please, someone try this. I already confirmed it on my Slate with the forever 4.99% BT, and it was fun. It qualifies as a Gardening activitySmiley Happy

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 14 of 17
Ghoshida
Valued Contributor

@NRB525 wrote:

@Ghoshida wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Thank you. I keep repeating this fact, but nobody wants to listen Smiley Happy

With Chase Blueprint, you can have a BT working And Use The Card For Regular Purchases.

Set up autopayment with Minimum Payment. Set up Blueprint to do the Full Pay option, select all categories in the Full Pay. As new charges are added, they are added to the minimum payment. YOU PAY NO INTEREST ON THE NEW CHARGES. Please, someone try this. I already confirmed it on my Slate with the forever 4.99% BT, and it was fun. It qualifies as a Gardening activitySmiley Happy

Thanks again !

I'm waiting for my Netspend card to arrive so that I can open that 5% savings account. Then for fun I'll start a small BT on the CSP and put that money in the savings account (to offset the BT fee).

I was planning to do it with my Cap One but it seems you can't run a second 0% BT with them the moment the statement gets generated. Or so it seems on my account.

This quarter most of my dining will be done on Discover, airlines if any on the PRG, and car rental on the Cash+. So I can minimize the impact on CSP anyway.

BTW FYI, the response from Chase about Blueprint:

Thank you for contacting Chase inquiring about blueprint feature on your account.

We value your relation with Chase and want to ensure we address your needs as a customer. I can confirm that interest will not be charged if the purchases are made only in the blueprint Full pay category and are paid in full before the due date. Also you can have a promotional balance on the account at 0.00% during that time and interest will not be charged if you pay the blueprint full pay amount before the due date.

If you need any other assistance, you can send us a secure message. We appreciate your business and thank you for choosing Chase.

Now what are my chances of AA if I do this? Smiley Very Happy My CL with CSP is 10.700 (additional 5k with Freedom), and at no point will I carry more than 1-2k in BT. It's mainly to go and sit in Netspend, if that works out alright. 

Message 15 of 17
deltatee
Frequent Contributor

I always have offers on my Chase cards for BT, but the best are almost always on my Amazon Visa and Chase is mailing BT checks on that probably once a week.

Message 16 of 17
Ghoshida
Valued Contributor

Updating my experiment with BT and Blueprint:

So I decided to use my Freedom instead of the Sapphire, because the Blueprint categories didn't cover car rental / airfare (couple of categories where I spend a good deal on the Sapphire and indeed plan to do so in the next couple of months). However it did cover groceries and restaurants - so this and the next quarter are covered for Freedom.

Applied four mini transfers, $250 X 4 (note that their fee is 2% or $5, whichever is lower, so less than $250 isn't worth it for the fees) today. I'll wait for them to get posted then purchase some category stuff and report back how Blueprint works. My CL on the Freedom is just $5k so these BTs will take it to 20% utilization.

Also my plan is to park that money in my new NetSpend account for 5% APR savings, but for some reason Chase hasn't finished linking the account. Anyone with NetSpend knows if Chase has any issues linking NetSpend (Metabank) as an external account? 

Will also report if the sudden rise in utilization on one card makes Chase or other banks nervous. On the other hand I'm hoping a persistent use of the Chase Freedom current CL will probably make them happy and give me a CL somewhere down the line. Let's see. 

Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.