cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sapphire Reserve to kill off Ritz Carlton?

tag
jsucool76
Super Contributor

Re: Sapphire Reserve to kill off Ritz Carlton?

The ritz card does NOT offer lower redemption rates to cardholders.

Reasons I would use the ritz card - 10k spend to maintain my gold status. I'd use it over the CSR because it allows me to earn 18 points per dollar. Even at the ridiculously low rate some use to value it (0.7 cents per point) that comes out to 12.6% back.

We'll call UR points 2 cents per point, and you get 3 points per dollar, so that is 6% back.

3 tier 4 nights for signup bonus can easily be worth $2000+

Edit: To clarify, it allows me to earn 18 points per dollar, by giving me the 5.5 earned per dollar on the card (5 points, plus 10% bonus) as well as the extra 2.5 points earned from gold status. 

By comparison, a standard "blue' member earns 10 points per dollar, which at a value of 0.7 cents per point, is still 7% back. Nearly doubling the return of points. Highly valuable. 

Message 11 of 29
Kenro
Regular Contributor

How do you get 18 points per dollar?? I assume thats from booking marriot properties on the ritz card? Wouldnt that be around 8 not 18?? 5.5+2.5?

Message 12 of 29
jsucool76
Super Contributor

@Kenro wrote:

How do you get 18 points per dollar?? I assume thats from booking marriot properties on the ritz card?

Yes, edited post to clarify. 

10 from marriott member

2.5 from gold status (from ritz card)

5.5 from ritz card (5 + .5 for 10% bonus)

18 points per dollar. 

I don't use my ritz card for much other spend except for the 10k requirement to keep gold status. Marriott gold status for even a light traveler can easily outwiegh the benefits of the CSR by itself, if you stay loyal to marriott in terms of dollar value. 

The 3 club level upgrade certificates, could also, by themselves, outweigh the benefits of the CSR in terms of dollar value. 

Message 13 of 29
Kenro
Regular Contributor

@jsucool76 wrote:

@Kenro wrote:

How do you get 18 points per dollar?? I assume thats from booking marriot properties on the ritz card?

10 from marriott member

18 points per dollar. 

I don't use my ritz card for much other spend except for the 10k requirement to keep gold status. Marriott gold status for even a light traveler can easily outwiegh the benefits of the CSR by itself, if you stay loyal to marriott in terms of dollar value. 

The 3 club level upgrade certificates, could also, by themselves, outweigh the benefits of the CSR in terms of dollar value. 

I mean realistically you are getting 8 points, as anyone can earn the 10 including booking on Reserve for blue. 3 UR points with 1.5 multiplyer would be worth more than 8 marriot points right?

Message 14 of 29
jsucool76
Super Contributor

@Kenro wrote:

@jsucool76 wrote:

@Kenro wrote:

10 from marriott member

18 points per dollar. 

I mean realistically you are getting 8 points, as anyone can earn the 10 including booking on Reserve for blue. 3 UR points with 1.5 multiplyer would be worth more than 8 marriot points right?

Depends how you value them. 

If we call UR 2 cents per point (accounting for possibility of transfers as well), we get 6%

8 marriott points valued at 0.7 cents per point (which is what many value them at, though I usually get a bit more than 1cpp) and you're looking at 5.6% back. Pretty dang close. This is on marriott spend only though. If you don't stay at marriott, go for the CSR, if you do, go for the ritz. I'll likely go for both. 

Message 15 of 29
Kenro
Regular Contributor

@jsucool76 wrote:

@Kenro wrote:

@jsucool76 wrote:

@Kenro wrote:

10 from marriott member

18 points per dollar. 

Depends how you value them. 

If we call UR 2 cents per point (accounting for possibility of transfers as well), we get 6%

8 marriott points valued at 0.7 cents per point (which is what many value them at, though I usually get a bit more than 1cpp) and you're looking at 5.6% back. Pretty dang close. This is on marriott spend only though. If you don't stay at marriott, go for the CSR, if you do, go for the ritz. I'll likely go for both. 

I want to like Ritz, it just sucks when the math seems to say that Reserve would be a better return even at Marriot... Without accounting for the flexibility of other programs that ritz lacks.

Message 16 of 29
jsucool76
Super Contributor

Yeah but the ritz also comes with their "exclusive events."

Pretty great deal right now, 2 nights at ritz central park, vip access to NY fashion week, dinner for 2 at daniel, and breakfast for 2 at sarabeths. $2,600.

It's tempting me. Couldn't care less about fashion week, but ritz central park, daniel, and sarabeths are a great combination. 

Message 17 of 29
Kenro
Regular Contributor

@jsucool76 wrote:

Yeah but the ritz also comes with their "exclusive events."

Pretty great deal right now, 2 nights at ritz central park, vip access to NY fashion week, dinner for 2 at daniel, and breakfast for 2 at sarabeths. $2,600.

It's tempting me. Couldn't care less about fashion week, but ritz central park, daniel, and sarabeths are a great combination. 

I agree that its a great card to have, to me its a no brainer to be honest. 300$ Travel Credit which I much up real quick which leaves 95$ that is nothing compared to benefits offered.

I love the feel of the card but I never really get to use it and thats the issue I have. Now Prestige is my to go card, soon it will be Reserve by the looks of it. At least I started using Ritz more often because Citi costumer service has been horrendous, this wouldnt be an issue with Reserve anymore.

Ritz is a great card and I have no intention of closing it, Im just trying to find justification to use it for my spending.

I dont like Citi Prestige, the design, feel is utter crap. Now with Costco the costumer service is absolute garbage, plus the benefit cuts have killed it. But untill  Summer 2017, I'm getting awesome returns on my dollar spent on AA due to 1.6 multiplyer, 15% citigold and -100AF. On Travel I get 5.52% return on every dollar I spend on AA.

Message 18 of 29
jsucool76
Super Contributor

I only use it for marriott spend, and to maintain gold status. I'll also use it for anything I think I may have a problem with, as I know dispute resolution with chase is a cake walk compared to some other lenders.
Message 19 of 29
Kenro
Regular Contributor

@jsucool76 wrote:
I only use it for marriott spend, and to maintain gold status. I'll also use it for anything I think I may have a problem with, as I know dispute resolution with chase is a cake walk compared to some other lenders.

I have been keeping RItz open because of Chase costumer service like you've said. But since Reserve will be offering the same, is there a point of keeping Ritz even around ,now if it struggles to even compete at Marriot.

Message 20 of 29
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.