Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scared I'm going to get AA'ed

tag
Jbb2788
Regular Contributor

Scared I'm going to get AA'ed

What are the chances I get AA'ed? This month I went on a MAJOR app spree. I have never been able to get any credit cards but was approved for a Discover It card early this month and instantly got a "credit high". I applied for WAY too many cards. Some were approved, some were not. I'd say I probably gained atleast 10 tradelines this month. This was all before I knew about AA...If I keep the balances on some of the dumb cards I got and continue to PIF on my major CC's will this keep me from getting AA'ed? Thanks for any input.

**10/31/13
EX-650
EQ-660
TU-660
GOAL: 750 ACROSS THE BOARD
Last App: 10/13
Gardening Until: 4/14 (At least)
Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
myjourney
Super Contributor

Re: Scared I'm going to get AA'ed

@Jbb2788 wrote:

What are the chances I get AA'ed? This month I went on a MAJOR app spree. I have never been able to get any credit cards but was approved for a Discover It card early this month and instantly got a "credit high". I applied for WAY too many cards. Some were approved, some were not. I'd say I probably gained atleast 10 tradelines this month. This was all before I knew about AA...If I keep the balances on some of the dumb cards I got and continue to PIF on my major CC's will this keep me from getting AA'ed? Thanks for any input.

Your plan is a good start and the best advice anyone can give you..

Continue to pay in full and NO MORE APPS

You should be fine in the garden after a year 

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 2 of 16
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

Take a year off while keeping utilization low.  I think you'll be fine.

Message 3 of 16
coldnmn
Mega Contributor

+3

Discover IT $17k / US Bank Ace (VSig) $13.5K / US Bank Cash+ (VSig) $13.5k
Sam's Mastercard $15k / Walmart Mastercard $10k / Blispay $7.5k PayPal Ex MC $10.8k
CareCredit 5k / Husq $5k / Cap1 QS $4.5k / Barclay Ring $5.35k / Citi DC (WMC) $12k
Gardening Date 7/01/16 / MyFico 08: EQ 801 / TU 777 / EX 771 / 06/08/17
Message 4 of 16
mrsjr
Regular Contributor

I feel you!  I'm scared that I'm going to get AA'd, too - particularly from Barclays.  All I've been trying to do this year is get the credit cards that I want and NEVER get another one.  So, I'm good now, but I've had seven accounts opened this year! :/  I'm in the garden until I either need a car or decide to buy a house.  But my utilization is 0% (I always PIF before the statement cuts).  Surprisingly, I haven't been AA'd by Barclays yet (knock on wood).  And I think it may be becasue I'm not carrying balances...?  Nonetheless, just do not app anymore and keep utilization low!

Starting Score: 601
Current Score: 739 TU
Goal Score: 800

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 5 of 16
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

@Jbb2788 wrote:

10 TLs in one month is a lot. You may get some AA. What are the 10 TLs you got? That's part of the equation. Some will be more or less likely to AA than others. Second, best thing you can do to not frighten them off is to keep your util really low. You don't necessarily need to PIF before the statement cuts. But do keep your reporting util around 10% if possible. And don't app or CLI for at least 6 mos. I wouldn't do anything to draw attention to myself, like requesting a CLI for a good 6 to 12 mos.

EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 6 of 16
Credit-hoarder
Valued Contributor

I've opened 10 new TL's since mid August and haven't seen any AA yet (of course I have a somewhat thick file also) but I would assume you're safe as long as you stand pat on what you have like the others have said. BTW: weren't you approved for one of the OCCU cards? If you don't mind sharing, what cards/limits did you pick up during your app spree?

BUSINESS
Rewards Pts.-Miles: UR-MR-TYP-Venture
Message 7 of 16
Jbb2788
Regular Contributor

Cards I was approved for this month;

Discover IT $800

Chase Slate $1000

Chase Freedom $1500

Duck Card $1000

DCU Platinum Rewards Visa $6000

Victoria Secret $350

JCrew ?

Express ?

Buckle ?

Walmart Store Card $700

Macy's $600

Dillards $200

I'm MOST afraid to lose anything with Chase...I'm just going to do what everyone is saying and keep UTL low and PIF...I'm so ticked at myself for opening those worthless shopping cart trick CC's..Does anyone think closing those cards would help my cause?

**10/31/13
EX-650
EQ-660
TU-660
GOAL: 750 ACROSS THE BOARD
Last App: 10/13
Gardening Until: 4/14 (At least)
Message 8 of 16
Credit-hoarder
Valued Contributor

Yeah that's a pretty good line-up, esp. the Chase cards-I'd like to have one of those eventually-but WAY-WAY down the road. Just lay kind of low like everyone says and use them responsibly and you should be okay.

BUSINESS
Rewards Pts.-Miles: UR-MR-TYP-Venture
Message 9 of 16
enharu
Super Contributor

@Jbb2788 wrote:

Cards I was approved for this month;

Discover IT $800

Chase Slate $1000

Chase Freedom $1500

Duck Card $1000

DCU Platinum Rewards Visa $6000

Victoria Secret $350

JCrew ?

Express ?

Buckle ?

Walmart Store Card $700

Macy's $600

Dillards $200

I'm MOST afraid to lose anything with Chase...I'm just going to do what everyone is saying and keep UTL low and PIF...I'm so ticked at myself for opening those worthless shopping cart trick CC's..Does anyone think closing those cards would help my cause?

That's a lot of new accounts.

That being said, keep your utilization low and don't drag high balances across card(s), and you should be fine. What's done is already done anyhow. 

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.