Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scared to apply

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Scared to apply

I want a new credit card and am still contemplating what to do. I am subscribed to score watch and my EQ score is currently 728. One of the things going positive in my power report is: You're not actively looking for credit. Your applications for credit in the past year 0 inquiries. I really want to improve my FICO score to reach at least 760 and be in the upper bracket.

Since my last power report when it reported 718, my score has went up to 728 due to paying off some debt on my other credit card. The CL is 11k and I currently owe roughly $2,400. Under the FICO score simulator, I did a test of what would happen if I applied for and received a new card with a CL of 10k and it said my score would raise. I do not necessarily need the card, I am fine getting by day to day on one card. I see a lot of rules that say "Apply for and open new credit accounts only as needed" ; "Don't open new credit cards that you don't need. Unless you are establishing a credit history, don't apply for credit cards you don't need just to increase your available credit. This approach could backfire and actually lower your score." So right now I am not sure what I should do.

If I did apply for a new card I kind of wanted an AMEX but with all these threads about how stingy and uptight they can be, it is shying me away. I then looked at the BoA AMEX card. Another thing I am weary on is what my APR would be. It says the card will offer either 9.99% or 15.99%. I'm not sure if I should apply or not for any card in general and if I do, if my score would result in a 9.99% or 15.99%. Not sure if I do apply, should I wait till I get my util down some more to improve my score and it looks better in general? All opinions are appreciated and thanks in advance.

Message Edited by Nmbr1ballr on 06-17-2008 12:16 AM
Message 1 of 29
28 REPLIES 28
specultr
Regular Contributor

x

Message 2 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Scared to apply

Well I'm kind of a really picky person I don't know why but I really wanted a BoA or AMEX card. Thanks for your help though. I do appreciate all imput. Anyone else care to give me their opinion?
Message 3 of 29
aftermath
Established Contributor

@specultr wrote:
Consider Penfed w/that EQ score and no inquiries.

What he said. Penfed is a guaranteed EQ pull. Everyone else is pretty much random, except Amex and Boa which are like 90% guaranteed EX pulls.

Congrats on a high EQ score, but the 2 cards you want most are known for pulling EX.

Don't let your pickiness get the best of you. What can BOA or Amex offer you that Penfed can't? In actuality, Penfed can offer you everything they can plus more. And in most cases, higher credit lines and hassle free CLIs.

Just because the card looks shiny and has a known name on it doesn't necessarily mean it's a better choice. Just imagine that all credit cards were just blank white with no names on it or any flashy designs. The deciding factor would be customer service and perks would it not? Would you still want an Amex or BOA or would you go with something that offers you so much more in so many ways.
American Express Blue Cash Everyday $6600
Barclays US Airways Premier World Mastercard $14500
Chase Sapphire Preferred $5000
Chase Freedom Visa $1000
Chase United Explorer $8500
Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select Visa Signature $7500
Citi ThankYou Premier World Mastercard $7500
Message 4 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well my main issue at hand isn't really what card to get. Its more of the principle of what will happen if I get a new card to my current score and what kind of apr do you guys think I would receive when a card does offer to apr's depending on credit history. I'm not real worried about getting a particular card but more so if FICO says don't open credit unless you need it etc and the simulator says if you do your score will increase, I'm hesitant on opening any card in general. They are contradicting themselves. And by opening a new card, it will take away from one of the positive things helping my score which is not actively seeking credit.

Message Edited by Nmbr1ballr on 06-17-2008 01:39 AM
Message 5 of 29
aftermath
Established Contributor

Penfed will work with you according to your needs. They don't just throw rules at you like other CCC do.

And besides, you want to utilize your EQ correct? Like I stated earlier, Penfed is a guaranteed EQ pull.

But it's purely up to you on which route you want to go.

Penfed gave me a $30k credit limit while BoA and Amex gave me $5k.
Chase Freedom Visa $1000
Message 6 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't think your quite understanding my question. I don't care what company pulls what. Won't opening a new card in general hurt my credit score or help because it is a new account, I am going to receive an inquiry, and I will lose one of the positive things helping my score.
Message 7 of 29
aftermath
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I don't think your quite understanding my question. I don't care what company pulls what. Won't opening a new card in general hurt my credit score or help because it is a new account, I am going to receive an inquiry, and I will lose one of the positive things helping my score.

Sorry, yes I misunderstood your question.

Yes, obtaining a new account will initially hurt your score, but after a few months of good payment and low utilization, your score will only improve. If you've done everything you can at this point with your credit and haven't noticed an increase, then you are at your current bucket cap. Your credit report is hungry for new activity.

You're can't baby your inquiries forever.
Chase Freedom Visa $1000
Message 8 of 29
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

What aftermath said. If you don't go ape-wild, your scores might well be back where they started as early as the second or third month. If you get an AmEx, they frequently don't even show up on your reports for several months, showing the opening date, so you might not see a dip at all. Some people's scores grow from the get-go, because their particular credit profiles "needed" another revolving account.

With the cards you're looking at, it's worth paying to pull your EX FICO score. (First Google fico discount code coupon to get a code for at least 15%.) Probably it's within 15 points or so of your EQ, but you never know. Some are way different.

As long as your EX is 710-720 or above, and you have no collections, BK's, unpaid charge-offs, or baddies within the last two years, you should be fine. I wouldn't worry about land mines. If you want an AmEx credit card (the Blues, HHonors, etc.), do a lot of research to decide the best deal. For instance, Blue Cash can be great if you run a huge amount of money through it every year; otherwise it's pretty eh.

If you'd rather the inq be pulled from your EQ report (for whatever reason), take a look at Citi or Chase, although both of them are pretty variable as to which CRA they pull. The reason that you got so much feedback about PenFed is that they're an EQ puller, and that's the one you listed.

And finally, if you're working your credit right, you won't care about the APR, because you won't be carrying balances anyway! The only balance I carry on a card is a 0% BT card, and I'm paying it down $250 every two weeks. CCC's don't get a penny of my money. Smiley Wink
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 9 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

BofA has a preapproval site. Check out what they will offer you without actually applying.
Message 10 of 29
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.