Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

School me on Barclay

tag
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Re: School me on Barclay

She got her "letter" from Barclaycard last week, by the way.  "Payments too low on account."  Uhmm, we used your convenience check to pay a contractor that didn't accept credit cards and your 8ish% APR was cheaper to pay off over 3 months than a balance transfer fee to another lender.  For the record, the CLD was on the 2nd statement after the check and the previous four payments were PIF or 8-10x the minimum.  I truly do wonder if Barclaycard is just planning to force out those that got the Ring card early on with the low APR before it essentially became the Chase Slate card?

Message 21 of 27
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi MrDisco! You are going to get many passionate responses to your question! No one is neutral on Barclays!

I have the jetBlue Plus, and had the NFL Extra Points since last June, and haven't had any issues. I just closed the NFL and moved the limit to the jetBlue. It was a super simple phone call. My Barclay history is fairly young, so I don't know what the long haul will reveal. FTR, I also have a savings account with Barclays.

There reps, IME, are super nice, and they will do APR reductions on their cards. If you call and ask for one, they will let you know if your account is eligible for a SP CLI as well. 

Let the games begin! Smiley Happy

Watch out for sample selection bias when reading threads. In a very broad sense, people with neutral opinions tend to be less vocal than those with highly favorable or unfavorable ones. I suspect many people have neutral experiences with Barclaycard but just don't bother to post about it.

I don't think either Venture or A+ are good after the first year...unless you can get an AF waiver. OP, you have a QS for no FTFs and a DC for 2% domestically. The only real value I see is in the bonuses.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 22 of 27
MrDisco99
Valued Contributor

@wasCB14 wrote:

The only real value I see is in the bonuses.

That's mainly what I'm after.  I know neither one of these is better than my cash back cards long term.  I'm just looking for something with a big bonus that I can redeem on travel to help pay for stuff on my upcoming "big trip" that my points won't cover.

It sounds like with the A+, I'll not only run the risk of dealing with a notoriously skittish lender while I'm traveling abroad, but I'll also be more likely to be stuck with a not small number of points I can't use because of 10,000 points minimum redemption.  The Venture has a somewhat smaller bonus, but seems to not have those same problems.  So I think I'll go with that one instead.

That is, after I get all my points bonuses. Working on that first.

Message 23 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

@MrDisco99 wrote:

@wasCB14 wrote:

The only real value I see is in the bonuses.

That's mainly what I'm after.  I know neither one of these is better than my cash back cards long term.  I'm just looking for something with a big bonus that I can redeem on travel to help pay for stuff on my upcoming "big trip" that my points won't cover.

It sounds like with the A+, I'll not only run the risk of dealing with a notoriously skittish lender while I'm traveling abroad, but I'll also be more likely to be stuck with a not small number of points I can't use because of 10,000 points minimum redemption.  The Venture has a somewhat smaller bonus, but seems to not have those same problems.  So I think I'll go with that one instead.

That is, after I get all my points bonuses. Working on that first.

Yup, the Venture is  your best bet...at 2x per $1, youll end up having 46,000 miles = $460 toward travel related charges.  DO NOT use it for cash back though (you might know this already) because you'll get less $$

Good luck! let us know your CL once approved.

Message 24 of 27
Longroad
Established Contributor

@Rebuilding69 wrote:

Barclays sucks

+1

They just closed my account a couple of years ago because "I used too much of my credit line". Used about 90% of my $5K CL to pay for my son's wisdom teeth, so I could accumualte the points. It was a couple of days before my statement cut, so it cut with the balance which I PIF well before the due date. A couple of weeks later, tried to use it and was declined. Checked on it and found out they had cancelled the entire account with no warning or notice. I would never recommend them to anyone ever for anything.

Message 25 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Longroad wrote:

@Rebuilding69 wrote:

Barclays sucks

+1

They just closed my account a couple of years ago because "I used too much of my credit line". Used about 90% of my $5K CL to pay for my son's wisdom teeth, so I could accumualte the points. It was a couple of days before my statement cut, so it cut with the balance which I PIF well before the due date. A couple of weeks later, tried to use it and was declined. Checked on it and found out they had cancelled the entire account with no warning or notice. I would never recommend them to anyone ever for anything.

Wow. What's the point of giving you a 5K CL if they don't want you to use it. If they wanted you to use less, they should've given you a smaller limit to begin with. 

Message 26 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

Every time I read a Barclay thread like this I cringe because I don't want to get sideways with them.  I'm AU on my wife's Apple Barclay card with $3750 limit and I have a 45 day old Barclay Frontier Airlines card with a $2500 limit.  They have been easy enough to get along with, bumped her limit from $2500-3750 with a simple phone call and a HP.

This is also why I don't like to be too dependent on one lender...if something should go sour with Barclay (or any other company) I don't want to be in a bind. 

Message 27 of 27
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.